Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Accent?

Canadian Accent?

Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Accent?

Just got back home from my two week holiday in Ontario! Great holiday! But the question arose: do all Canadians speak with this accent or is this a regional thing?

Around Ottawa, when people are talking about their house, it sounds like they're talking "abowt their howse", or "aboat their hoase".
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Accent?

Originally Posted by Toontje
Just got back home from my two week holiday in Ontario! Great holiday! But the question arose: do all Canadians speak with this accent or is this a regional thing?

Around Ottawa, when people are talking about their house, it sounds like they're talking "abowt their howse", or "aboat their hoase".
Hi Toon, glad you had a good time, tell us moreof your first impressions once you are over the jet lag!

The accent does vary by region, but Ive been here years and I dont really pick up on it unless its really thick. Mostly I can just about tell a canadian form an American now, about 20% of the time
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Yes most Canadians have that accent with the exception of the Atlantic provinces and those in Quebec.

Atlantic Canadians sound Irish to me!

Interested
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Interested
Yes most Canadians have that accent with the exception of the Atlantic provinces and those in Quebec.

Atlantic Canadians sound Irish to me!

Interested
Where do you live?
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Where do you live?
Toronto
Old Oct 17th 2004, 5:40 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Those from the East have a distinctly different lilt to their accent than Westerners. Atlantic provinces say the "aboot" and "hoose" thing more noticeably. Newfies - what a mixture, and Quebecers are an accent of all their own, of course. Even fluent french speakers are baffled by the patois sometimes. Nova Scotians have a nice accent, it is softer than the Ontarians. None of the provincial accents could be mixed up with American, unless you get a Torontonian that works in New York regularly. That one I have to really listen to, to figure out where they are from.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:11 pm
Glaswegian

Albertans have a slightly different accent from Saskatchewaners (?) ... but I'm not convined I could spot one.

Eastern accents sound nasal to me now ... don't meet anought people from BC to spot the difference.

Old Oct 17th 2004, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Albertans have a slightly different accent from Saskatchewaners (?) ... but I'm not convined I could spot one.

Eastern accents sound nasal to me now ... don't meet anought people from BC to spot the difference.
Heard of western alienation? well, we call it BC alienation - we don't like to associate with the "riff raff" in the rest of Canada (hehehehe)
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I don't like the accent here in BC especially in kids as everything is drawn out at the end and goes up really high....." I got in the carrrrr and we went to the parkkkkkkk" sorry but drive me nutttts!

JJ
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

down the pan is an unknown quantity at this point

It's what's know as "Canadian raising". Its due to the "ow" as in "house" being produced by the tongue being slightly higher in the mouth when they precede some consonents. Give it a try and become a Canadian!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:01 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a clue what a BC accent is like Most of my friends, collegues and neighbours are either new Canadians or from out East!!

Clare