Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston??

Moving to Houston??

Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

AndyMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston??

My husband and I (God, I sound like the Queen!) are going to Houston in two looks with a view to moving there. Has anyone moved from the UK to Houston? What do you think?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston??

Apparently Houston is a hellhole

This is according to pretty much everone I know over here, both business associates and friends
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Apparently Houston is a hellhole

This is according to pretty much everone I know over here, both business associates and friends
Thanks for that. It's really given me confidence!!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMc
My husband and I (God, I sound like the Queen!) are going to Houston in two looks with a view to moving there. Has anyone moved from the UK to Houston? What do you think?
I lived there and could not wait to leave, stay away from SW or SE houston, too much violence there. Also, try and get the Houston Chronicle newspaper or go to the houston chronicle website to get a better picture of the place. Things are very cheap in Houston and the weather does get humid but never super cold. People are more polite and religious.

Either way, all the best.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I lived there and could not wait to leave, stay away from SW or SE houston, too much violence there. Also, try and get the Houston Chronicle newspaper or go to the houston chronicle website to get a better picture of the place. Things are very cheap in Houston and the weather does get humid but never super cold. People are more polite and religious.

Either way, all the best.
Thanks alot for all the positive vibes. Can't wait to get there !!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I (God, I sound like the Queen!)
German?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
German?
German?
You've totally lost me!!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:01 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread, I think there's only one person replying who's actually in Houston though - you could try messaging him/her (name of sas) but also look at the reply from Russ B, he gives some interesting looking links.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254916

I was in Houston for a few days in the summer, staying with my husband's sister. I liked it (for a big city).
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:03 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

German?
You've totally lost me!!!
You said you sounded like the Queen - her family's originally German. It's just Manc's sparkling wit!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbark
You said you sounded like the Queen - her family's originally German. It's just Manc's sparkling wit!
Obvously my wit isn't up to that!!

Typical blonde bimbo!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Typical blonde bimbo!
aaah now you sound more like Diana than the Queen.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
aaah now you sound more like Diana than the Queen.
The only difference is I'm breathing
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:12 pm
@matthewb76

The only difference is I'm breathing
and your husband works for a living!

ok I'll stop now.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:13 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day - any place is what you make of it - I'm sure you could have a great time there, its just that having that great time would be easier in other locales

I thought nashvile would be a nightmare, but after getting over the initial 6 months of homesickness I'm doing great - been wearing shorts and flip flops since April, bought a cool Victorian house and have the car of my dreams - NOT what I expected

Good luck whatever you do
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
At the end of the day - any place is what you make of it - I'm sure you could have a great time there, its just that having that great time would be easier in other locales

I thought nashvile would be a nightmare, but after getting over the initial 6 months of homesickness I'm doing great - been wearing shorts and flip flops since April, bought a cool Victorian house and have the car of my dreams - NOT what I expected

Good luck whatever you do
You've summed it up. It's what you make it.

I'm going to have a look with an open mind and them I will make a decision.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.