Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horse transportation

Horse transportation

Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough
Default Horse transportation

Could be wishful thinking, but am looking into transporting my horse with me from UK to Australia. Would anyone know of any reputable companies or even have experienced shipping large animals of their own to Australia and any idea of the costs involved.
If we are talking millions and squillions then I can stop doing the wishful thing and start doing the realistic thing which is to unfortunately sell my much loved friend. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horse transportation

Originally Posted by Fuggle
Could be wishful thinking, but am looking into transporting my horse with me from UK to Australia. Would anyone know of any reputable companies or even have experienced shipping large animals of their own to Australia and any idea of the costs involved.
If we are talking millions and squillions then I can stop doing the wishful thing and start doing the realistic thing which is to unfortunately sell my much loved friend. Any help would be much appreciated.
I also looked into this as we had horses in the UK, but it was far too expensive. Six thousand five hundred pounds for a 13.2 pony, so we gave up on the idea.

Whisky
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whisky
I also looked into this as we had horses in the UK, but it was far too expensive. Six thousand five hundred pounds for a 13.2 pony, so we gave up on the idea.

Whisky
Thanks for this, I have applied for quotes through various companies and got one from 1st equine( firstequine@ btinternet.com) for £4500 for my 5yr old 15hh welsh cob mare which seemed reasonable considering the distance, Flight, quarantine and vet certification, personal groom Etc. that is involved.
The idea I have in my head is to Loan her out for the first year then ship her over once we are settled and get to know the area.
I hate to sound obnoxious but I dont have the foggiest idea what to expect with regards to the type of equine facilities in Australia specially as its such a huge place - being a horsey person yourself would you know if there are any problems obtaining Farriers / Vets on call / feedstuffs / yards to stable / riding establishments and the like? Most people with horses would have their own land for this I would assume?, But I am being transferred with my company so may be city based at times and any info would be much appreciated. Also tell me if I am being amazingly unrealistic! although the fella would love to say bye bye to my horse I want to try and keep my head screwed on about this and make the right decision.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:14 am
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road

We looked at the costs of moving our horse to Australia and had quotes around the £6000 mark, we have not yet decided what to do either way but our daughter will be heartbroken if the horse stays here. We have had to knock £10,000 off the asking price for our house so if we have to drop anymore the horse will have to be sold to make the figures tally up.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CON
We looked at the costs of moving our horse to Australia and had quotes around the £6000 mark, we have not yet decided what to do either way but our daughter will be heartbroken if the horse stays here. We have had to knock £10,000 off the asking price for our house so if we have to drop anymore the horse will have to be sold to make the figures tally up.
Im sorry to hear that, I really do hope it works out for you. I dont mean to come across nosey but were the quotes you had set in stone or just emailed back as a basic quotation? mine was mailed back as a quote with no actual listing of what the costs covered so I assumed it covered what the website said it does when transporting a horse by air (fingers crossed to my naivety being correct!) as £6000 sounds an amazing amount of money.

Best of luck with you move and hope everything turns out OK.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry to hear that, I really do hope it works out for you. I dont mean to come across nosey but were the quotes you had set in stone or just emailed back as a basic quotation? mine was mailed back as a quote with no actual listing of what the costs covered so I assumed it covered what the website said it does when transporting a horse by air (fingers crossed to my naivety being correct!) as £6000 sounds an amazing amount of money.

Best of luck with you move and hope everything turns out OK.
Fuggle
It can cost nearly that to transport a dog or cat.

There was a thread on horses some time ago but I can't remember the conclusions. Have you tried doing a search.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this, I have applied for quotes through various companies and got one from 1st equine( firstequine@ btinternet.com) for £4500 for my 5yr old 15hh welsh cob mare which seemed reasonable considering the distance, Flight, quarantine and vet certification, personal groom Etc. that is involved.
The idea I have in my head is to Loan her out for the first year then ship her over once we are settled and get to know the area.
I hate to sound obnoxious but I dont have the foggiest idea what to expect with regards to the type of equine facilities in Australia specially as its such a huge place - being a horsey person yourself would you know if there are any problems obtaining Farriers / Vets on call / feedstuffs / yards to stable / riding establishments and the like? Most people with horses would have their own land for this I would assume?, But I am being transferred with my company so may be city based at times and any info would be much appreciated. Also tell me if I am being amazingly unrealistic! although the fella would love to say bye bye to my horse I want to try and keep my head screwed on about this and make the right decision.
I really didn't want to leave my horses behind, but we had to draw a line somewhere, and I had to make a very difficult decision.
My daughters pony was sold as it would be pointless to spend that amount of money on bringing him, as she was getting too big for him anyway.
My old boy, went to my eldest daughters farm, as he was Arab/Thoroughbred and as mad as a hatter. I really needed him to go to someone that understood him.
My Arab youngster also went to my daughters, and she now owns a real beauty of a horse, but at least I know where they are and that they are being looked after.
We have just bought a new pony for my youngest daughter - an Arab/X1/4 horse 14.2 and just rising 4 years. And though I say it myself, he is a real beauty.
Things are different here. Some better, some a bit behind, and some things are different.
Feed is very different here, and although at first, I wasn't sure that I liked it, to be honest, I think that in the Uk we overfeed with to much on things that make them hyper.
Worming is the same.
They also like to drench the horses at least 2-3 times a year due to the sandy soil.
Blacksmiths are the same as in the UK, but I don't have to wait for as long here as i did in the UK.
Vets, here in this area (Perth) there are hundreds that deal with horses.
Tack is a bit hit and miss.
They call Livery - Agistment.
I get a paper called the Quokka which has literally everything in there and have noticed that they advertise Agistment in there quite a lot.

Which part of Australia are you planning to go too?
If its Perth, then I can give you a few addresses etc.

Hope i haven't missed any answers to your questions, but if i can help, fire away.

Whisky
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

I really didn't want to leave my horses behind, but we had to draw a line somewhere, and I had to make a very difficult decision.
My daughters pony was sold as it would be pointless to spend that amount of money on bringing him, as she was getting too big for him anyway.
My old boy, went to my eldest daughters farm, as he was Arab/Thoroughbred and as mad as a hatter. I really needed him to go to someone that understood him.
My Arab youngster also went to my daughters, and she now owns a real beauty of a horse, but at least I know where they are and that they are being looked after.
We have just bought a new pony for my youngest daughter - an Arab/X1/4 horse 14.2 and just rising 4 years. And though I say it myself, he is a real beauty.
Things are different here. Some better, some a bit behind, and some things are different.
Feed is very different here, and although at first, I wasn't sure that I liked it, to be honest, I think that in the Uk we overfeed with to much on things that make them hyper.
Worming is the same.
They also like to drench the horses at least 2-3 times a year due to the sandy soil.
Blacksmiths are the same as in the UK, but I don't have to wait for as long here as i did in the UK.
I get a paper called the Quokka which has literally everything in there and have noticed that they advertise Agistment in there quite a lot.

Hope i haven't missed any answers to your questions, but if i can help, fire away.

Whisky
Brilliant, Thanks for that!

Brisbane is where we will be eventually based.
I dont worry about things such as over feeding - being a Native welsh D , my mare manages just to look at food and get fat, the main problem is keeping the weight and energy off - not putting it back on! im just going through that nasty last ditch attempt phase of trying to suss out (like you) about bringing her over - I have owned her since a lil filly and backed and done all the work on her myself which makes the decision so nasty specially as we are just starting to do all the fun stuff like day events and hunter trials and get all the rewards back for the effort it took to get there.
Thank you for the info on Agistment etc, I think you managed to cover everything I asked. Looks like i will have to go back and do some serious evaluation.

Many thanks for your tme, and I hope your daughter has some great times ahead on her new pony!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Brilliant, Thanks for that!

Brisbane is where we will be eventually based.
I dont worry about things such as over feeding - being a Native welsh D , my mare manages just to look at food and get fat, the main problem is keeping the weight and energy off - not putting it back on! im just going through that nasty last ditch attempt phase of trying to suss out (like you) about bringing her over - I have owned her since a lil filly and backed and done all the work on her myself which makes the decision so nasty specially as we are just starting to do all the fun stuff like day events and hunter trials and get all the rewards back for the effort it took to get there.
Thank you for the info on Agistment etc, I think you managed to cover everything I asked. Looks like i will have to go back and do some serious evaluation.

Many thanks for your tme, and I hope your daughter has some great times ahead on her new pony!
Your welcome.

Whisky
Old Aug 14th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi, I also toyed with the idea of shipping my horse over from UK. She was a lovely Anglo Arab X Cleveland Bay who I had bred myself and was rising 6, I'd backed her and schooled her myself and she was everything I wanted in a horse. I was also quoted 6500 pounds for shipping and decided to sell her as I didn't want to put her through it all and didn't really know what we were going to. I found her a lovely home where she is now eventing and I have regular updates and pictures from her new owners. After being horseless for a year I bought myself a lovely Stock horse X TB (Paddy) who is an absolute darling. My 8 year old daughter has also got into riding and he is quiet enough for her to take to pony club yet lively enough for me to jump and compete on if I wanted to. He really is one in a million, and a true gentleman. I often think I should have shipped my mare over as there are heaps of agistment and active clubs around here but then I think I would not have found 'Paddy' if I had, and my mare would not have been suitable for my daughter to ride or take to pony club. I have found the care routines are very similar to the UK, although the hard feeds are a bit more basic. The horses seem to be kept out all the time too so the horses seem a lot more 'laid back'. Brisbane also has an active horsey scene from what I hear. You can find out a lot on www.cyberhorse.com.au they have a chat forum and you can ask questions there.
good luck

Mandy
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:59 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hello, it really is veryy different in Oz. Think of your beloved horse not beingused to:
totally differnt feed. my horse loved thelucerne (pronouned loosen) hay and left the hard feed for it.
hard feed (whta they call hand feeding) is with mitavite products. we're used to lovely looking feeds in theUK there it is just pellets. i spose it okay for them but it's not very exciting with that and wheat chaff an\d lucerne chaff and mollasses added. there is no sugar beet they don't need it really.
flies for a long period.
heat for a long period.
fires! make sure you have transport. it is very frustrating relying on laid back aussies who say the horse will be fine then it runs through a fence doinga tendon!
watching for snakes on rides! (you get used to it but it's odd at first) carry vitamin C. get in touch with a homeopath when you get there.
paralysis ticks! they can make your horse very sick andkill your dog.
sand colic!
crap farriers! some are passable.
lack of basic vet care (and I'm talking not very far north of sydney)
lack of bedside manner of vets. they just don't seem to empathise.
ifyou think your horse will be okay then do it and there's only one company touse in my opinion and that is IRT in Newmarket. I flew my horseout and then flew him back as I hated it. he din't turn a hair and they get one to one care.
He's now settled with my sister and I'm damn sure i did the right thing sending him back.
======
My advice: Give up your horse and get another whenyou know the scene.
it is important to remember not to haveany preconceived notions of horse life as it is so very different. not worse really just different. that goes for dogs too. animals are a bit more 'expendible' out there.
Good luck anyway.
Love to knowhow you go. i'm going back out soon myself.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mandy Bale
Hi, I also toyed with the idea of shipping my horse over from UK. She was a lovely Anglo Arab X Cleveland Bay who I had bred myself and was rising 6, I'd backed her and schooled her myself and she was everything I wanted in a horse. I was also quoted 6500 pounds for shipping and decided to sell her as I didn't want to put her through it all and didn't really know what we were going to. I found her a lovely home where she is now eventing and I have regular updates and pictures from her new owners. After being horseless for a year I bought myself a lovely Stock horse X TB (Paddy) who is an absolute darling. My 8 year old daughter has also got into riding and he is quiet enough for her to take to pony club yet lively enough for me to jump and compete on if I wanted to. He really is one in a million, and a true gentleman. I often think I should have shipped my mare over as there are heaps of agistment and active clubs around here but then I think I would not have found 'Paddy' if I had, and my mare would not have been suitable for my daughter to ride or take to pony club. I have found the care routines are very similar to the UK, although the hard feeds are a bit more basic. The horses seem to be kept out all the time too so the horses seem a lot more 'laid back'. Brisbane also has an active horsey scene from what I hear. You can find out a lot on www.cyberhorse.com.au they have a chat forum and you can ask questions there.
good luck

Mandy
Thanks Mandy

I think I have decided to Loan her out for a year and settle, and while doing the getting to know the area thing, source out some places and get an idea of what it might be like out there for her and then do the make or break choice.
Having worked abroad before I have given up a horse previously. I also know that its hard to make friends and get into the social scene at first and from previous experience during down moments you tend to miss the things you love the most. I would hate to sell the horse and then everytime you get a downer end up thinking about the worst possible decision ive made by selling her. At least after a year I can either be brave and think ive been without her for a year and sell her or have saved up the money to bring her over if i feel its an environment she can cope with.
Paddy sounds a lovely Horse and I am glad you have found him, thank you very much for the website link, I can start having a look into things now so that i can try and continue my hobby in the future.

All the best

Fuggle
Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Stibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Horse transportation

[QUOTE=Fuggle]Thanks for this, I have applied for quotes through various companies and got one from 1st equine( firstequine@ btinternet.com) for £4500 for my 5yr old 15hh welsh cob mare which seemed reasonable considering the distance, Flight, quarantine and vet certification, personal groom Etc. that is involved.
I hate to sound obnoxious but I dont have the foggiest idea what to expect with regards to the type of equine facilities in Australia specially as its such a huge place - being a horsey person yourself would you know if there are any problems obtaining Farriers / Vets on call / feedstuffs / yards to stable / riding establishments and the like? Most people with horses would have their own land for this I would assume?, But I am being transferred with my company so may be city based at times and any info would be much appreciated. Also tell me if I am being amazingly unrealistic! although the fella would love to say bye bye to my horse I want to try and keep my head screwed on about this and make the right decision.[Hi, I am emigrating to Adelaide in October and have booked my horses flight for November. I decided to go with IRT in the end because of their caring and proffessional attitude. I also thought that if they are transporting horses to race in Australia then the horses must arrive fit and well cared for and this is how I want my horse to arrive . The travelling expenses is going to cost me about 7,500 pounds in total and this includeds transport to the airport in England and then transport to quarantine in Sydney and then on to Adelaide after the two weeks. The only main problem that I have come upon is that they generally do not insure against vet fees but after searching for a while I have found two insurance companies that will insure against this. My brother owns an equestrian centre in Adelaide and he confirms that the Aussies are a lot more laid back with there horses. Us Brits do show a lot of concern for our horses and this is something that no matter where we live will never change. /QUOTE]
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:49 am
Just Joined

uta-d is an unknown quantity at this point

Worming is the same.

Whisky
Hi Whiskey,

Have read your excellent posting on equine issues, thnaks so much. This has been really helpful!

We are currently in the proccess of relocating to Perth, due to my husband's job.

At the moment, it looks like we are going to end up in Mandurah.

And guess what? Three horses here in the Uk and lots of heart breaking decisions to be made.

We have only just bred a beautiful foal, but foal and mother will have to be sold.

What I am wondering though, if I move my other mare to Mandurah, am I really doing her a favour? Considering the totally different climate etc.

I would be so grateful for your reply.

Uta
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

I know this is a couple of years on, but what decision did you make about relocating your girl? We are in the initial stages of Oz visa and of course my animals are the most important items to consider. I have a big dutch w/blood dressage horse and he's going! I could never afford another horse as nice and talented as him, besides which he has grown on me significantly! Just curious as to see whether you made the jump or decided to leave her where she is. My quote moving from USA to sydney was US$9995 which I thought was really good considering it included all paperwork & such. So far, from what i've read, moving any animal from the UK is expensive compared to USA.

Last edited by georgiagal; Apr 25th 2006 at 12:57 pm. Reason: PRICE ADJUSTMENT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.