Moving back to UK with USA Spouse.

Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

kjfj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with USA Spouse.

I moved from England to East coast USA 4 years ago to be with my (now) wife, we married 6 months after I moved and we're both desperate to move back to England.

We have no children yet, my parents are still in England and we'd be very grateful if somebody could help us with what we need to do to get my wife into the UK as a working citizen, whether we'd need to do it here in USA or back in England.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 12:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

YOu should be able to find the answers here, but if not there are contact numbers for the British consulates and Embassy in the US:

http://www.britain-info.org (Consular/Passports & Visa section).

Also this might be of interest:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

Why the desperation to return to the UK - especially your American wife?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 12:47 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK with USA Spouse.

Originally posted by kjfj
I moved from England to East coast USA 4 years ago to be with my (now) wife, we married 6 months after I moved and we're both desperate to move back to England.

We have no children yet, my parents are still in England and we'd be very grateful if somebody could help us with what we need to do to get my wife into the UK as a working citizen, whether we'd need to do it here in USA or back in England.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
If you look at www.britainusa.com you will find the information you need. You may be surprised how easy and quick it is compared to getting a US visa.
You can get your wife's visa in person at the New York British Consulate (get there by 9am) and visa will be issued the same day. Or you can apply by post--takes about 5 days.
As you have been married 4 years, you should ask to have ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain--the permanent spousal visa). Normally you would be issued FLR (Further Leave to Remain--a 2 year conditional spousal visa). Those married for 4 years or more are allowed to ask to be given ILR straight away.
They will be looking to make sure you have enough funds to support yourselves until you find work, so bank statements, proof of assets etc, plus proof of where you will live (if you have nowhere planned but will be staying with parents or relatives, you'll need a letter from them to say you have permission to stay, plus a copy of their mortgage papers or deed).
The American Expats forum is a very friendly place so do join. Look for me, I am Squirrel
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

kjfj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

One of the reasons we're moving back is the greencard situation, the INS have lost paperwork, forms - you name it. I came here to be with my wife and thought it'd be a permanent thing however it's proved itself to be such hard work.
We've been running in circles for the last 2 years trying to get sorted but there's only so much you can take, we're not getting any younger and by the time it's all sorted out we'd have wasted a lot of time, so moving back to England is the way to go.
She's always wanted to live there, she visited a few times before we met and fell in love with the place and the people.

My main reason for going back (apart from the greencard issue) is the way things seem to be going where we are at the moment (VA). Waking up literally every morning to the news that someone died from a shooting a couple of miles away, and someone getting shot only 20 metres away a few months ago doesn't make us want to raise a family here, I know it's not the same in all states and areas and I know things happen back home on a smaller scale but it's gotten to the point that gun killings are a way of life where we are at the moment.

I visited the British Embassy site last night and downloaded the Settlement forms (VAF2 2003) - it looks almost too easy to get my wife into England as a resident, maybe I'm missing something I don't know. I called my parents who have agreed to be her sponsor and guarantee living space at their house so hopefully that part's a done deal.

Once again, thanks for the replies and advice, if anyone has anymore it'd be greatly received.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kjfj
Thanks for the replies, both of you.

One of the reasons we're moving back is the greencard situation, the INS have lost paperwork, forms - you name it. I came here to be with my wife and thought it'd be a permanent thing however it's proved itself to be such hard work. .......I visited the British Embassy site last night and downloaded the Settlement forms (VAF2 2003) - it looks almost too easy to get my wife into England as a resident, .......
Having worked for 20 years now at the behest of one country's government or other, I can identify with the frustration of dealing with immigration. The year I spent back in the UK (2000) was so liberating. It was such a refreshing idea that I could quit if I wanted, could work at Asda if I wanted, make extra money on the side from any kind of employment, without worrying about having to leave the country, fill in forms and wait for months, etc. I've been refused entry twice, had to go to Juarez once (what a dump!), and had to cancel and re-book flights three times. All of these came with accompanying grief and expense, of course. It's interesting for me to read how straightforward the process will be for your wife to move to the UK.

Good luck to you!