Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Where to live. Opinions from the forum.

Brisbane - Where to live. Opinions from the forum.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:36 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane - Where to live. Opinions from the forum.

In doing some research on where to head for in Brisbane, i've put together a collection of posts from this forum, all into one document. Thought that some others might find it helpful.

Please remember that all the info in this was taken from this site, and opinons are like assholes....everyone has one.

If you have posted about where to live in Bris...you may find your info in here...so thanks !!

Thanks especially to Ceri and Mrs Dagboy, who have posted lots of titbits about the various suburbs of Bris.

Cheers

Pete.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
brisbane information.doc (77.0 KB, 799 views)
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good job Pete, hope you werent calling me an asshole or was that just my opinions? LOL.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pete,
Just had a brief look, loads to digest. I didn't see many dates there, are most of the comments fairly recent?
Marc.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:04 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Good job Pete, hope you werent calling me an asshole or was that just my opinions? LOL.
Hehe not at all Mrs D

Can't wait to get out there and test out your opinions for real!

Got all my fishing stuff cleaned and its already been sent, so its there for our little holiday before jobhunting etc starts. Whoopie!! First real holiday for 2 years (been saving....lots..). Already got an order from the MIL for 8 mullet fillets and a couple of KG whiting lol.

6 weeks and counting.....
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:07 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Foggies
Thanks Pete,
Just had a brief look, loads to digest. I didn't see many dates there, are most of the comments fairly recent?
Marc.
Most are from the past 6 months, with a few going back to early 02.

I did'nt do this for the purpose of pricing, which will have changed dramatically from some of the older posts, more for peoples opinions on which areas were nice/quiet/rough to live in. Peoples personal experience is obviously important. Neither my wife or myself have really been to Bris, apart from a few nights there when we were staying in Noosa. Susan (wifey) has 2 uncles in Noosa/Buderim, so they should be able to give us the lowdown when we get there
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Hehe not at all Mrs D

Can't wait to get out there and test out your opinions for real!

Got all my fishing stuff cleaned and its already been sent, so its there for our little holiday before jobhunting etc starts. Whoopie!! First real holiday for 2 years (been saving....lots..). Already got an order from the MIL for 8 mullet fillets and a couple of KG whiting lol.

6 weeks and counting.....
Bugger the mullet fillets, if you are gonna catch something make it worthwhile eating .
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Great document Pete!!

Billabong
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:43 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Bugger the mullet fillets, if you are gonna catch something make it worthwhile eating .

Awww....harsh ! I love a couple of shallow fried yellow eye mullet fillets ! Down in Mt Gambier they taste great, not muddy like some mullet can be. Coorong mullet is good too, next time your in Adelaide give it a go.

What sort of thing have you been catching on the shiney new Mustang recently? I did'nt get much of a chance to fish when i was in south QLD, only in Vic, SA and far north QLD.

It any good around Bris??
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:34 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brisbane - Where to live. Opinions from the forum.

Thanks for the doc - really useful.

Rather disappointingly, thanks to the exchange rate falling and the increase in house prices, my dream home idea has been pretty much shattered. If only I'd been in a position to move a couple of years ago!!

What's the situation in the housing market - presumably it's at a high at the moment but is a crash expected at some point? Does anyone know any good websites that track the Australian housing market?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Queensland is still booming and there isn't a price crash expected.
I buy a Mag called Property and Lifestyle- The latest Real Estate Trends. It is shocking how much the prices have gone up. You can order copies online and they post them to you. www.propertylifestyle.com.au
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default PeteY

Awww....harsh ! I love a couple of shallow fried yellow eye mullet fillets ! Down in Mt Gambier they taste great, not muddy like some mullet can be. Coorong mullet is good too, next time your in Adelaide give it a go.

What sort of thing have you been catching on the shiney new Mustang recently? I did'nt get much of a chance to fish when i was in south QLD, only in Vic, SA and far north QLD.

fantastic document, mate
i have a long list of every brisbane place name that i've ever heard mention so i just cross off any bad ones!
nice of you to do something so handy
thanks
rach
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

thank you very much, just printed this off, not read through it all yet, we where looking at Palmwoods but as Dotty says the prices are shocking so we may just rent till things slow down.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

Good work mate
Very usefull

Dave
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:12 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

In doing some research on where to head for in Brisbane, i've put together a collection of posts from this forum, all into one document. Thought that some others might find it helpful.

Please remember that all the info in this was taken from this site, and opinons are like assholes....everyone has one.

If you have posted about where to live in Bris...you may find your info in here...so thanks !!

Thanks especially to Ceri and Mrs Dagboy, who have posted lots of titbits about the various suburbs of Bris.

Cheers

Pete.
That is brilliant, thanks a lot for all your hard work.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:05 am
Rocket Scientist

Pete, actually in Brisbane theres not much unless you have a boat & can get out in the bay, behind Bribie Island in the Pumicestone passage or the southern waterways down around Jumpinpin. If you do, you can expect to catch estuary/surf species like whiting, bream, tailor, dart, golden trevally, mackeral & flathead. If you go a bit further afield to some of the reefs you will get things like sweetlip, snapper, cod & perch. We havent been out to any of the reefs yet as the weather has been too windy (we've only owned it 2 weeks), when we get a nice day we are planning on trying Harry Atkinsons Artificial Reef which is probably the closest to us & actually inside the bay. Most of the reefs are offshore which means braving a bar which is not something I feel confident enough doing yet. Happy to stay in Moreton Bay for now.

If you want to beach fish on the Sunshine or Gold Coast you can expect to catch the same surf species, but unless you can get to somewhere like Cooloola or Fraser Island or parts of Bribie (4wds only), dont expect to bring home very much.

Similar story as you go up the coast, alot of my family live in Bundaberg & my nephew has a 23 footer that he takes out to the Barrier Reef & Lady Elliot Island, he gets much the same sort of surf & reef fish as we do here, just lot more of them.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 15th 2003 at 2:08 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.