Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whinge time. Why is bacon here not quite right?

Whinge time. Why is bacon here not quite right?

Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whinge time. Why is bacon here not quite right?

Why does the bacon in the supermarkets here always look and taste processed? Am I the only one thinking this. DJs food hall in Sydney has the real McCoy but that is hardly practical or cost effective.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:45 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Whinge time. Why is bacon here not quite right?

Originally posted by bondipom
Why does the bacon in the supermarkets here always look and taste processed? Am I the only one thinking this. DJs food hall in Sydney has the real McCoy but that is hardly practical or cost effective.
Don't forget the bacon here (uk) is pumped full of water, amongst other things. Ever noticed, if you cook it in a pan it starts swimming.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:56 am
WBB

Originally posted by chippy
Don't forget the bacon here (uk) is pumped full of water, amongst other things. Ever noticed, if you cook it in a pan it starts swimming.
i cook my bacon on my george foreman grill and the amount of fat that comes out is unreal, if you dont own one they are well worth the investment.

Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Can you get the George Foreman grills in Aus?

See my post on Supermarkets you might be able to get your real Danish bacon soon!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Can you get the George Foreman grills in Aus?

See my post on Supermarkets you might be able to get your real Danish bacon soon!
yes, you can get the George Foreman grill here. The bacon over here is just *different* to the UK, over there its rather raw, over here its smoked, you can actually eat the meaty part without cooking it. Not sure what parts they leave out (or put in) in the processing - its just weird that it can be so different
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

"george" is definately coming the 12,000 miles to Oz, he's well worth it!!! Anyone seen the fat that comes out of sausages:scared:
Old Sep 21st 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not found any decent bacon to buy, but stopped off at a roadhouse think it was Billabong and the bacon was awesome. So its out there somewhere.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 1:32 pm
WBB

Originally posted by karawara88
Not found any decent bacon to buy, but stopped off at a roadhouse think it was Billabong and the bacon was awesome. So its out there somewhere.
it's getting like the x-files just trying to get some tidy bacon...

Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:40 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Have you ever read Bill Brysons take on bacon? Made me chuckle on the train.

American = uniform flat little rashers of bacon. Brown and crispy

Australia = Great bacon, so chuncky, rough and ready you can hear the pig squeel when you take a bit.

Britain = More like steamed shrivelled pigs tongues than bacon.

Great writer is Mr Bryson. Always worth a laugh.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by h garrett
"george" is definately coming the 12,000 miles to Oz, he's well worth it!!! Anyone seen the fat that comes out of sausages:scared:

OOOOOHHHHHH never mind the fat that comes from sausages what about the s**t that goes into them. oh yuck, lips and assholes isnt it.

Sorry thats one food I hate as you can gather. The bacon here in Switzerland is different too, its that smoked bacon. just thin rashers.

less fat and tastier I believe.

Dee
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Bacon is definately different, in my opinion better! basically for extra taste buy the middle bacon and trim the excess fat off, the taste is within the fat. Aussie bacon is cured differently,ie, not pumped full of water.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 3:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't stand the cheap crap from the UK that is pumped full of water. If you pay a bit more for the thick stuff it is great. It is the silvery sheen on the bacon here that worries me.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 6:46 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I think the amount of salt used in oz food also has something to do with the taste.

We found not only the bacon but a number of foods so salty they were inedible.

Apparently salt is a form of preservative much favoured in victorian times which probably explains why those progressive aussies are still using it.

Originally posted by bondipom