Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:51 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice
Default How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Had a few requests to help out all you sparks with decades of experience who will then have to satisfy the powers that be that you are good enough to work alongside the roughest,slowest sparks outside of Scotland (brace yerself for the flak BB).

Right.
Get an up to date reference before you leave,so don't p*** off your current employer (you'll see why in a mo).

Go to the this page
www.energysafety.wa.gov.au

and find the licensing bit.You can download an application form.You need the Electrical mechanic one if you're an installation spark.

Go to the office at
20 Southport Street
West Leederville tel : 9422 5282

where you'll have to hand over the application form and submit copies of all your references you sent to TRA all those months ago,as well as your most recent reference(see,told you ).Hand over $30 and your application will be scrutinised at the next board meeting.These are held every 2 weeks,but are sometimes cancelled,so you may not hear anything for over a month.

Once the old farts decide "hang on a minute,this guy's got more experience than any Ozzy spark ",they'll write to you to say your application has been approved,and you have 2 options.

i.Take a written and practical exam (details of which I shall post later)
ii.Take a Licensing course.Only enrol for this if you feel that you can't pass the bits above.This course can take up to 6 months,but some have been told you can cram it into 9 weeks,if there's enough interest to fill the spaces.However,there is no exam,so if you're a bit of a flapper,this may be the best route.I've heard that sometimes a couple of guys visit the U.K and run this course,but it's a bit pricey.Perhaps others have heard of this.

I've had to add an after thought.You can apply to work under somebody elses licence for up to a year.Think this costs $30,but I spoke to others who said that employers tend to avoid in-experience,unlicenced Pommies straight off the boat.However,I met 2 who had this licence at the practical exam,so if you're desperate to work immediately,this could help.

Should you decide to do the exams (which I strongly recommend) you can phone the TAFE (college) at Balga,and book the written exam straight away.They are just adjudicators there,so you can take it within a few days.The cost of this is $30,and you'll also be asked to stump up $110 for the practical one,but you can only take it once the written has been passed.

Right,enough for now,I'll post soon with the next thrilling installment.

BB-I might be rough,but I'm slow with it.

Last edited by baldbutts; Aug 14th 2003 at 4:31 am.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

n1 now i got to panic and find the stuff i sent to the tra about a year or two ago :scared:
Old Aug 14th 2003, 6:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Well done BB, this is the sort of advise we need!

Steve.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

wayyyyhayyyyy i found it ref from both employers copies but i luckly scanned it and backed it up on to disk
Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Licence

Thanks for the BB - just passed it onto old man - now he can sort that bit out!!! Kath:scared:
Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Default Electrical Licence

P.S. anyone know why we're junior is it cos we young uns???
Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

cos you have only got 9 posts so far

lol old man i call my father that
Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

lol Wass that???

Anyway, I cant say toy boy cos thats what he is and all the girls will be jealous!!! I finka notta Kath
Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

come on how old im only a youngster at 29 opps 30 in oct
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:52 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Right,you've been in touch with the college and have a date for your theory exam.

Whilst at the Energy licensing office (see step 3-sorry forgot about it at the time) you would have purchased a copy of the wiring regulations - AS/NZS 3000:2000.I was encouraged not to bother by the guy there and to borrow one,but I strongly recommend you do-as I will point out further down.It'll cost you $73.90,but I'm sure you can claim back something on your tax return.
Now study it particularly the subjects I'll point out later.

The theory exam is in 2 parts,and you have 3 hours to complete it.You have to take in your regs book,calculator and pen.There's a few blank pages in the regs (see ),so you can put in any notes and formulas you need to beforehand.I had no supervision in the room,had a mobile phone with me,so could have contacted anyone,and was left alone for the duration.I got the feeling,that they don't care too much,as long as you pays yer money.
Part 1 consists of 40 multiple choice questions,some of which are common sense,some are in the regs book,and some are the knid of stuff you learnt as a teenager and have never used and forgotten since.
Part 2 is 10 multiple choice questions,which the answers to can all be found in the regs.You have to answer and state which reg and on which page you found it.
You need to get 60% or more in both parts to pass.

O.K.Things you should swot up on/copy into yer book :
Insulation resistance values (see regs)
MEN is multiple earth neutral-PME to us proper sparks.
Cable terminology: T.P.I is triple pole insulated.Cores are double insulated,and earth is green/yellow.-M.I.M.S is mineral insulated metal sheathed (pyro)-TPS is twin and earth-Building Wire is singles.
G.P.O is a general purpose outlet (socket )and uses 2.5 radials with 16 A current protection.
Formulas : ohms law ; p= V x I ; Power factor = P over V x I ; Volt drop = mV/A/M x current x length over 1000 (you won't use this till the practical part though,so don't worry ).Hope I'm not teaching to suck eggs.Also look up line current formulas for star/delta loads,and copy them into the book.
Maximum Volt drop values (see regs)
Maximum permissable earth resistance (see regs)
How to add resistors in parallell

Example questions or just the answers ;

See all above and :
ESR is earth sheath return,and is combined neutral earth-use MIMS for this.
Domestic underground cabling uses TPS in heavy duty ORANGE pvc conduit.
If an A.C contactor chatters,it'll probably be a faulty shading ring on the core.
To remove aluminium oxide from Aluminium cable,dip it in hydrochloric acid (bakers fluid).
Sodium vapour lamps give off a yellow light.
Capacitors are used to gain economical power.
Capacitance is meaqsured in micro farads.
Earth electrodes are placed in wet areas near to the building.
Ladder ratio 4:1
The licensed electrical contractor is responsible for the installation.
Halogen lamps can't be handled.
A minimum of 6 cables are required at a star delta motor (excluding earths).
A minimum of 3 cables are required from an isolator to a starter on a star delta motor.
AQ squirrel cage motor needs star/delta to develop torque.
3 cables are needed at a batten holder.

There you go,as I said, a lot of this is common sense,and 60 % is in the regs book,just look it up.if I remember any more examples,I'll put em on.Not sure if the questions are changed often either.

BB- Jeez,I hate long posts.

Last edited by baldbutts; Aug 15th 2003 at 3:01 am.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:56 am
huge,throbbing member

And another thing.....
When you ring up to set your written exam date,book the practical too.Although you can't take it until you've passed the theory,assume that you will.They only have 5 spaces a month for the practical,and they're soon filled.I had to wait 8 weeks as the guy was on holiday,but they then dragged irt forward 2 weeks(wow-thanks).
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:58 am
huge,throbbing member

Hey Bussie,do you know a spark called Muttley,from Gravesend-first name Dave ?
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Nothing to do with your brillaiant post BB, but I had a dream about you the other night and you were wearing bright yellow checked suit...I am getting seriously worried .... what is fantasy,,,what is reality!!! oooerrrr missus

Diane
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:38 am
huge,throbbing member

Default Re: How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Nothing to do with your brillaiant post BB, but I had a dream about you the other night and you were wearing bright yellow checked suit...I am getting seriously worried .... what is fantasy,,,what is reality!!! oooerrrr missus

Diane
Sorry to dissapoint Diane,but the only yellow check I own is on me string Y-fronts.Mind you,they were white when I put em on 3 weeks ago.

BB-1 more week before they're due a change.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by baldbutts
Hey Bussie,do you know a spark called Muttley,from Gravesend-first name Dave ?

lol how many sparks do i know with the first name dave

thought it was part of being a sparks

i work at bluewater shopping centre (the centre not the shops)

nice post it has made me feel much better, i have just completed my 16th edition test and inspection and am waiting for the results here's hoping i passed

what does the practicle consist of ??

many thanks again for the very informative post

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.