Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All The Info You Need Part 1

All The Info You Need Part 1

Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default All The Info You Need Part 1

I have collated this morning, everything I needed to know about Oz before my Pc is packed away. Here is a large amount of info collated from this site and my own research,from jet lag to travel insurance. I hope you will find it useful and saves someone's time, it's beter to share and help others, see it as a consolidation, there is a to do list at the bottom.

TAX ON SALARIES

You need to check out a couple of websites

http://www.ato.gov.au/level2.asp?placement=AS/IN

and they aslo have calculators on there, best way to start is just with simple calculations, eg If I earn 3000 per month = 36000 per annum

try this page - http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/...x001i.xra&go=ok

then you can see although it does not take off medicare etc - it works out you would pay 7180 tax per annum = 598 per month.

There are then individual calculators

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxca...andard_hire.asp

Using this method the Tax withheld on a 3000 a month = 646, approximate difference because of medicare levy

This is the same calculation as the bandings

0-6000 - nil = 500 earned tax free
6-20000 - 17%
20 - 50000 - 2380 + 30% for each over 20000

36000 leaves you in this band therefore 36000 - 20000 = 16000 at 30@ = 4800 + 2380 = 7180

Medicare levy = 1.5 %

Let me know if you want some further help doing the calculations, you can send me a private message. I am not offering any financial service or advice, I just work with payroll calculations in my main job and a bit sad I find them interesting!

There are other factors to take into account and individual circumstances can impact, eg joint incomes below certai thresholds although tax rebates and child allowances as well - you need to read the tax website for individual requirements

NATIONAL INSURANCE FROM UK

Have a look at this page (which includes the request for a pension forecast that Don has mentioned):
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nic/intserv/osc.htm

FOOTBALL COACHING CONTACT

Alastair - when you arrive contact me and I will certainly assist you.

Andrew

Sent: Saturday, 15 February 2003 9:10
To: [email protected]
Subject: Help
Dear Mr Bettall,

CARRIANNE RECRUITMENT AGENCY

Thank you for your enquiry into registering with EastCoast. I appreciate your excitement in relocating to Caloundra however with the Privacy Act we generally only keep resumes for a 3 month period and then destroy them. It would be best to send your resume through to us closer to your planned arrival in Australia, so that we could actually start putting you forward for positions.

Thanks and Regards

Kate Elliott
EastCoast Human Resource Group
PO Box 124
Maroochydore QLD 4558
Phone: 07 5443 6022
Fax: 07 5443 7208
----- Original Message -----

Qld building link
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/licenceapp...individual.pdf

INFO ON CLOUNDRA

1. Medibank and Australian Unity - also HBA (same group of companies as
BUPA) but of curse paying BUPA prices
2. AV Jennings and G J Gardner (avoid Devine Homes like the plague)
3. No huge companies in Caloundra but 20 mins drive away in Maroochydore
there are several.
4. What is near the sea? The oz friends think one or two roads but I say 10
mins walk??
Nothing that 'cheap' in Caloundra itself it is now a mini Gold Coast (while
we were last there we went to an open auction of a rather dicrepid house 5/6
roads away from the beach and it sent for $430,000 - without access to its
garage as a previous right of way had been cancelled.

There is Battery Hill which is an old town about 10 mins walk from coast -
and therefore has older houses you should get a 3 bed with garage there even
in reasonable condition for your money. - there is also a very good primary
school in Battery Hill (Currimindi Primary school). Aroona is a newer area
with houses in about that price range. Nambor - 20 mins from coast - has
half old houses and now lots of newer ones. For your money in Caloundra
itself you would probably only get a flat/apartment.
5. Most are pretty good - those that were not are now being updated and have
lost their bad name. Only Wurtulla comes to mind.
6. Either seem OK if you keep your wits about you. Try Trading Post
(www.tradingpost.com.au) or Sunshine Coast Daily paper (they probably have a
web page also)
7. Our friend is a maths tacher but he does not know an awful lot about the
private schools except to know that they ae nearly all OK if you can get in
but Church schools usually score best. If you can't get in immediately he
would recommend Caloundra Pirmary school as EXCELLENT and the very close by
Caloundra igh School (the only one) as pretty good. Also a good primary
school at Goldin Beach Caloundra.
Hope some of this information helps.
For the companies like CGU www.yellowpages.com.au should be able to find
some for you - its very slow and you have to repeat the question but it gets
there eventually and a lot of them have web sites.

GREAT INFO

go to

http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

JET LAG

I have found the best solution to jet lag is to take Jet Ease. It is a homeopathic pill which you can purchase at health food stores. You take a tablet once every two hours throughout the journey. If you fall asleep just take one when you wake up.

Believe me this pill works. I used to suffer terribly from jetlag and taking these pills does the trick even if I get no sleep at all on the flight.
My husband takes melatonin and it does the trick for him, but does nothign for me.

AA MEMBERSHIP

Before we left the UK I enquired as to whether my AA membership would be recognised in Australia, or if there were any reciprocal arrangements between the AA and Australian motoring organisations.

I was emphatically told there were no such arrangements and furthermore I couldn't cancel my UK membership.

Which was just as well, as I discovered yesterday that you can simply transfer your membership from the AA in the UK to the RAC over here in Australia.

Basically THE PERSON at the AA in the UK was talking out of his arse.

This was handy for me as I'm having an RAC inspection on a car tomorrow and it's now going to be about $30.00 cheaper. Car and household insurance is cheaper too if you are a member (and use their products, natch).

THINGS EXPATS WISH THEY HAD TAKEN WITH THEM

Tools
Tools such as mig welders and such, even tools such as socket sets - the good quality ones , not the cheapies. Hubby has a heap of tools packed away back in the UK and wished he brought them with him - especially the mig.

Wooden furniture I find more expensive here, the good quality stuff, dining tables, display cabinets - even good solid wooden beds. If you have good stuff don't sell it bring it here with you - it costs a fortune to replace.
Just aword of caution ,to any one moving to the dryer parts of oz,i,e ADELAIDE , PERTH , etc the furniture coming in from s,e asia tends to have a very high moisture content, due to it being from rain forests, the first 40deg plus summer,this timber will dry out and crack, we see it all the time, antique furniture from europe also can suffer if loaded near the top of the container, were summer temps can reach 60deg c, because h.hg [house hold goods] containers are light the are generally top loaded,thus up tp 12 weeks of intense heat, while cross the ocean...hope this has been helpful....

EXCHANGING YOUR DOSH

I used Exchange Direct. They sponsor the money market page on Teletext. (Channel 4 page 519) and were very good. Much cheaper than a bank, and excellent service. Watch the markets on text over a few weeks/months and then call them. They can't offer advice (by law) on when to buy but if you ask the right questions they can be very revealing! If you get a rate over A$2.90 your winning. They only deal with stuff over £10,000 though.

You can forward buy and all the other stuff usually reserved for dealers. Once you have set up an account you can buy over the telephone and then send them the funds. Once bought they will hold it in an account and then transfer it anywhere you want. Once I had bought I opened an account with Nat West and parked it their earning interest until I had sorted things out with the Commonwealth.

I'm not impressed with Commonwealth. It's like banking was in the UK 20 years ago with regard their attitude (in London anyway) Like "your really lucky we have let you be our customer". Perhaps they were having a bad day but it still took them over a week to move funds from London to Sydney - I think someone walked with it.
Mind you.......I still cringe having to pay bank fees on a private account over here. Come back Nat West...all is forgiven!
We kept an eye on what the market was doing on the Halewood site but in the end transferred the money through HSBC. We had a First Direct Account in the UK and an Online Savings account in OZ.
We got the same spot rate as Halewood were displaying. It cost about 10 GBP and took 3 days to come through! The only hassle was that we did it from Oz so had to call the UK and deal with it late at night!

If we were ever going to transfer money again I would do a forward contract - much less stress!!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: All The Info You Need Part 1

Originally posted by Carrianne
I have collated this morning, everything I needed to know about Oz before my Pc is packed away. Here is a large amount of info collated from this site and my own research,from jet lag to travel insurance. I hope you will find it useful and saves someone's time, it's beter to share and help others, see it as a consolidation, there is a to do list at the bottom.

TAX ON SALARIES

You need to check out a couple of websites

http://www.ato.gov.au/level2.asp?placement=AS/IN

and they aslo have calculators on there, best way to start is just with simple calculations, eg If I earn 3000 per month = 36000 per annum

try this page - http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/...x001i.xra&go=ok

then you can see although it does not take off medicare etc - it works out you would pay 7180 tax per annum = 598 per month.

There are then individual calculators

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxca...andard_hire.asp

Using this method the Tax withheld on a 3000 a month = 646, approximate difference because of medicare levy

This is the same calculation as the bandings

0-6000 - nil = 500 earned tax free
6-20000 - 17%
20 - 50000 - 2380 + 30% for each over 20000

36000 leaves you in this band therefore 36000 - 20000 = 16000 at 30@ = 4800 + 2380 = 7180

Medicare levy = 1.5 %

Let me know if you want some further help doing the calculations, you can send me a private message. I am not offering any financial service or advice, I just work with payroll calculations in my main job and a bit sad I find them interesting!

There are other factors to take into account and individual circumstances can impact, eg joint incomes below certai thresholds although tax rebates and child allowances as well - you need to read the tax website for individual requirements

NATIONAL INSURANCE FROM UK

Have a look at this page (which includes the request for a pension forecast that Don has mentioned):
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nic/intserv/osc.htm

FOOTBALL COACHING CONTACT

Alastair - when you arrive contact me and I will certainly assist you.

Andrew

Sent: Saturday, 15 February 2003 9:10
Subject: Help
Dear Mr Bettall,

CARRIANNE RECRUITMENT AGENCY

Thank you for your enquiry into registering with EastCoast. I appreciate your excitement in relocating to Caloundra however with the Privacy Act we generally only keep resumes for a 3 month period and then destroy them. It would be best to send your resume through to us closer to your planned arrival in Australia, so that we could actually start putting you forward for positions.

Thanks and Regards

Kate Elliott
EastCoast Human Resource Group
PO Box 124
Maroochydore QLD 4558
Phone: 07 5443 6022
Fax: 07 5443 7208
----- Original Message -----

Qld building link
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/licenceapp...individual.pdf

INFO ON CLOUNDRA

1. Medibank and Australian Unity - also HBA (same group of companies as
BUPA) but of curse paying BUPA prices
2. AV Jennings and G J Gardner (avoid Devine Homes like the plague)
3. No huge companies in Caloundra but 20 mins drive away in Maroochydore
there are several.
4. What is near the sea? The oz friends think one or two roads but I say 10
mins walk??
Nothing that 'cheap' in Caloundra itself it is now a mini Gold Coast (while
we were last there we went to an open auction of a rather dicrepid house 5/6
roads away from the beach and it sent for $430,000 - without access to its
garage as a previous right of way had been cancelled.

There is Battery Hill which is an old town about 10 mins walk from coast -
and therefore has older houses you should get a 3 bed with garage there even
in reasonable condition for your money. - there is also a very good primary
school in Battery Hill (Currimindi Primary school). Aroona is a newer area
with houses in about that price range. Nambor - 20 mins from coast - has
half old houses and now lots of newer ones. For your money in Caloundra
itself you would probably only get a flat/apartment.
5. Most are pretty good - those that were not are now being updated and have
lost their bad name. Only Wurtulla comes to mind.
6. Either seem OK if you keep your wits about you. Try Trading Post
(www.tradingpost.com.au) or Sunshine Coast Daily paper (they probably have a
web page also)
7. Our friend is a maths tacher but he does not know an awful lot about the
private schools except to know that they ae nearly all OK if you can get in
but Church schools usually score best. If you can't get in immediately he
would recommend Caloundra Pirmary school as EXCELLENT and the very close by
Caloundra igh School (the only one) as pretty good. Also a good primary
school at Goldin Beach Caloundra.
Hope some of this information helps.
For the companies like CGU www.yellowpages.com.au should be able to find
some for you - its very slow and you have to repeat the question but it gets
there eventually and a lot of them have web sites.

GREAT INFO

go to

http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

JET LAG

I have found the best solution to jet lag is to take Jet Ease. It is a homeopathic pill which you can purchase at health food stores. You take a tablet once every two hours throughout the journey. If you fall asleep just take one when you wake up.

Believe me this pill works. I used to suffer terribly from jetlag and taking these pills does the trick even if I get no sleep at all on the flight.
My husband takes melatonin and it does the trick for him, but does nothign for me.

AA MEMBERSHIP

Before we left the UK I enquired as to whether my AA membership would be recognised in Australia, or if there were any reciprocal arrangements between the AA and Australian motoring organisations.

I was emphatically told there were no such arrangements and furthermore I couldn't cancel my UK membership.

Which was just as well, as I discovered yesterday that you can simply transfer your membership from the AA in the UK to the RAC over here in Australia.

Basically THE PERSON at the AA in the UK was talking out of his arse.

This was handy for me as I'm having an RAC inspection on a car tomorrow and it's now going to be about $30.00 cheaper. Car and household insurance is cheaper too if you are a member (and use their products, natch).

THINGS EXPATS WISH THEY HAD TAKEN WITH THEM

Tools
Tools such as mig welders and such, even tools such as socket sets - the good quality ones , not the cheapies. Hubby has a heap of tools packed away back in the UK and wished he brought them with him - especially the mig.

Wooden furniture I find more expensive here, the good quality stuff, dining tables, display cabinets - even good solid wooden beds. If you have good stuff don't sell it bring it here with you - it costs a fortune to replace.
Just aword of caution ,to any one moving to the dryer parts of oz,i,e ADELAIDE , PERTH , etc the furniture coming in from s,e asia tends to have a very high moisture content, due to it being from rain forests, the first 40deg plus summer,this timber will dry out and crack, we see it all the time, antique furniture from europe also can suffer if loaded near the top of the container, were summer temps can reach 60deg c, because h.hg [house hold goods] containers are light the are generally top loaded,thus up tp 12 weeks of intense heat, while cross the ocean...hope this has been helpful....

EXCHANGING YOUR DOSH

I used Exchange Direct. They sponsor the money market page on Teletext. (Channel 4 page 519) and were very good. Much cheaper than a bank, and excellent service. Watch the markets on text over a few weeks/months and then call them. They can't offer advice (by law) on when to buy but if you ask the right questions they can be very revealing! If you get a rate over A$2.90 your winning. They only deal with stuff over £10,000 though.

You can forward buy and all the other stuff usually reserved for dealers. Once you have set up an account you can buy over the telephone and then send them the funds. Once bought they will hold it in an account and then transfer it anywhere you want. Once I had bought I opened an account with Nat West and parked it their earning interest until I had sorted things out with the Commonwealth.

I'm not impressed with Commonwealth. It's like banking was in the UK 20 years ago with regard their attitude (in London anyway) Like "your really lucky we have let you be our customer". Perhaps they were having a bad day but it still took them over a week to move funds from London to Sydney - I think someone walked with it.
Mind you.......I still cringe having to pay bank fees on a private account over here. Come back Nat West...all is forgiven!
We kept an eye on what the market was doing on the Halewood site but in the end transferred the money through HSBC. We had a First Direct Account in the UK and an Online Savings account in OZ.
We got the same spot rate as Halewood were displaying. It cost about 10 GBP and took 3 days to come through! The only hassle was that we did it from Oz so had to call the UK and deal with it late at night!

If we were ever going to transfer money again I would do a forward contract - much less stress!!
You surely have amazed everyone with your lengthy and comprehensive researh.Well Done and TQ.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:34 pm

rouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks... from someone who is looking for as much info as possible.. what a great resource, hope I can help when I have more info to share about my experience
Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

your welcome
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Carianne you worked very hard on this and it has helped so much.

Thanx
Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:59 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Wish Id been as organised
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Carrianne
I did the same as you, and this post reminded me of how much it hurt.
I got a call from my UK HSBC manager in the middle of my night, to tell me that the money had been transferred, and what the rate was ( near enough 2.9 ),
I jumped for joy, whilst half asleep, and the ceiling fan quickly woke me up !! Catching my hands in its blades.
Fortunately it only caused bruising

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carrianne
bounce to top to help
Carrianne

I am off to sunshine coast and this is a gem of a post full of excellent info and you are even bouncing it to help again
You are most definately deserving of karma...which i am sending now
Thank you
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

what a kind and generous thing to give this so much time. thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

You are very welcome
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:09 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Carianne

This is a god send

Julia
Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:13 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

You have been in Australia for just over 2 years now Carrianne. How's it going?

Was it much easier doing all the preparation prior to going, and are you pleased you took the plunge and moved there?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

Yes it was great to be organised we did all out paperwork in 1 day on arrival in Brisbane as we had made appoinements with the bank and job agencies before leaving.

Best be prepared is my motto.

Yes really glad we made the plunge the wow it's a new country has worn off now and you do see a place for what it really is and no one can say otherwise. Once you have been here a while you appreciate what you have got here, but also apppreciate what things you had in the UK. I have a lot of POM friends here and they all say the same.

I did appreciate the UK when I was there and I made sure I went to all the places I had been meaing to go to before we left as it is a hell of a long way back.

I won't leave here as we love it too much,

C x
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:17 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait til we get there....whenever my ward sister decides to get her act together and do my references. Have been waiting nearly 5 weeks now, and cannot move on with the application until she does it
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:27 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Carrianne
bouncing
Tried to send you karma as you very well deserve it...I know there are more of these posts as I have them saved to my desktop...the time for leaving only being 6 weeks away now I shall soon be using them

would just like to say a huge THANKS as I cant send personal karma(bloody thing wont let me)...you dont have near enough blocks under your name in my book...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.