Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Whats the easiest route for permanent residency

Whats the easiest route for permanent residency

Old Jul 20th 2003, 7:53 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the easiest route for permanent residency

I'm soon going to be off to australia for a year on a WHV with a view to permanent residency and my question is would i be best to apply for permanent residense at the end of my year whilst still in the country or should i fly back to England and apply once home.

Thanks for any advice..
Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Peter Tomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the easiest route for permanent residency

Bello,

no easy routes to PR. Spouses of OZ citizens/permanent residents get 2 years temporary visa (generally), and only then PR.

For skilled route, read Skilled Booklet - www.immi.gov.au -> Migration -> Skilled -> Booklets. Bear in mind that you hardly get a skilled jobs while on WHV. This way you can fail to satisfy recent skilled work experience (basic requirement), and you may need to return to UK/EU for 1 or 3 years to acumulate it.

Peter
Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:16 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter i'll have a read, my thinking was that once i'm out there and presumig i find a good job suited to my skill (marine engineer/welder fabricator) and can impress an employer enought for them to sponsor my visa application, i should get a bridging visa so that i can stay in australia and work whilst my PR visa is going through the motions....

...Or am i just being a dreamer.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful, cause officially on a WHV you're not allowed to work in a job that will advance your career. Maybe check with a registered agent first...
Old Jul 20th 2003, 10:00 am

Good point, thanks Hans, i'm hoping that its a bit of a grey area as really i'm being a bit devious with my method to get PR.

A chat with an imigration agent will be on the cards though before i set off just to make sure i'm not going to lessen or completely ruin my chances.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by Hans de Visser
Be careful, cause officially on a WHV you're not allowed to work in a job that will advance your career. Maybe check with a registered agent first...

so this and thought i would reply i am also planning on going on a working holiday visa next year for one year.

I have a trade here in the uk but its not a trade in australia and its not on the skills list so i cannot get tra assessment for a visa under skilled.

I have also been told by several people that its also not possible for me to apply under another job title so its looking to me as if my chances of living and working in oz will not happen.

i could work and live in usa,canada and almost anywhere else in the world with my trade but its not a trade in oz.

i was wondering with me having a whv what i could possibly do that might give me a chance of getting pr when over there or a chance of it.

can anyone recommend anything.

get sponsored from an employer?

also just needed to know say i meet a nice girl over there and want to be with her always can she sponsor me, do you need to be married or does she have to if she wanted come back home with me just needed to know as it could possibly happen.

please anyone let me know what my options are on this visa
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:43 am
George Lombard

Hi Hans,

Actually surprised ptlabs hasn't pounced on you for this. Must be sleeping
on the job in Vancouver :-) There is no condition on a WHV in Australia
limiting the kind of work you can do, only the duration.

Cheers

George Lombard
--
www.austimmigration.com.au

"Hans de Visser" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Be careful, cause officially on a WHV you're not allowed to work in a
    > job that will advance your career. Maybe check with a registered
    > agent first...
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:34 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

if you applied for PR under the skilled immigration route and your skill is worth 60 points, a basic requirement would be to have RELEVANT work experience for the last 12 out of 18mths before applying.

If you wait until after your WHV trip then you may not meet this if you do not obtain enought employment in you field, especially when some employers may be put off with the 3mth working limit.
walaj
Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:14 pm
Badge

there's something about the job being incidental to your visit and thats about it..

Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:43 pm

I see, so really if i'm going to give it a try i should go for a relevent job straight away.

Another question...I've got a couple of good freinds that are Aussie citizens and as far as i understand if only a releative can sponsor me, is there anyway that if one of my mates over there was to offer to fianancially support me in the event of unemployment or what evers needed that this would help my application?
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:09 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by George Lombard
Actually surprised ptlabs hasn't pounced on you for this. Must be sleeping on the job in Vancouver :-)
Hmmm.... we need to talk, George :-)

Peter
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:12 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walaj
if you applied for PR under the skilled immigration route and your skill is worth 60 points, a basic requirement would be to have RELEVANT work experience for the last 12 out of 18mths before applying.
While it does not have to be exactly "relevant" but work experience must be in an occupation on the SOL. Any occupation on the SOL would suffice. It does not have to be the same occupation as the one you nominated.

You're mixing up with the "closely related to" clause for specific work experience points, which is a different matter altogether.

Peter