Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing Experience -- Immigrate from New Jersey to Canada

Landing Experience -- Immigrate from New Jersey to Canada

Old Feb 24th 2001, 5:22 am
Alex Hu

Immigrate or Move from New Jersey, USA (east coast USA) To Vancouver, BC Canada
(west coast).

1.) Get Ready? You have to measure how many things you are going to bring along. For my
husband and me, we only brought something that could be packed into the box, such as
books, T.V, computers, kitchen appliances... We abandoned quite a lot of stuff, such as
beds, dining table, sofas,.... The biggest thing is CAR.

2.) Preparation! Since everything can be packed into the boxes, we chose to ship it by
airlines. This is the cheapest, quickest, safest way I could find. Normally, it spent
around 1 to 3 months if you shipped by the truck/bus (gray hound.). However, they can't
guarantee that the goods would be in perfect condition when it arrives. Moreover, some
of the moving companies like to play tricks around the packing process. That's quite
annoyed. By using truck, it counts like how big the truck you are going to rent such as,
feet, and weight. If you don't have many things like us, I strongly suggest you can ship
it by Air.

I was contacting a NY company, every single detail information and prices will be
mentioned earlier. If you are in East Coast of USA, you can try to contact this company.

Trans Union Attn: Tony Ko Tel: (718) 244 - 1010 Fax: (718) 244 - 0665

If you are in the West Coast of Canada, you can try to contact.

Trust Freight Attn: Martin Su Tel: (604) 276 - 2118 Fax: (604) 276 2103 E-mail:
[email protected]

3.) What about the CAR??? Since we have heard a lot of bad news regarding shipping the
CAR, we decided to drive it there. It probably sounds dangerous. However, that's
unforgettable experience. There are couple things you should be more careful if you are
planning to drive. · Prepare all the Maps; you guys can get the Maps from AAA. · Study
the Maps; please choose the inter-state High Hwy instead of small route. · Choose the
big city instead of country for staying overnight! · Check your car's condition before
get on the road, such as wheels, oils.... · Be aware of gas; don't wait until the light
is on, coz if you are crossing the country, sometimes, that's hard to find a gas station
within 30 to 60 minutes. · Others.

4.) From New Jersey to Vancouver, we drove inter-state hwy 80w. · In Seattle, Washington,
please be aware of cops. They can stop many cars in one time. Usually, many cops are
hidden on the corner in busy street, such as state hwy 5. We were caught by that time in
Everett, Washington, coz we drove about 80 in speed. Since we were driving so fast on
the hwy 80, we didn't realize the speed was changed. L

5.) If you want to immigrate to Vancouver like us, you have to prepare couple of things
before you hit on the road. · Go to your car insurance companies to get your
history-clearance, which should show the beginning date and the ending of the date you
carried the insurance in their company. · That can have a discount when you buy the
car-insurance in Vancouver BC, (ICBC). · If your car happened to have re-call clearance,
please get the re-call paper from your Car-dealer. You can request it easily from them.
That is going to help to clear your car from the custom.

Additional Info: · If you used to watch cable movie in America, you would fine dull in
Vancouver, coz in Canada, the cable movie is not as vivid as in America. However, if you
can still buy the Satellite TV (DirecTV) from America store, such as Wal-Mart, Target,
Radio Shark before you come. If you don't buy it there, you have to pay double or more in
order to get Satellite TV. (I didn't do it first, coz nobody told me. I paid it almost in
double to get DirecTV.) · You should register the DirecTV in America, and used the auto
pay solution. Otherwise, you have to follow up a long list of annoyed payment stuff. ·
Internet access is not a problem too. They have Cable modem, dial up, or even DSL. That's
multiple-choices. · BChydro is the only gas and electricity company. Tel: (604) 224-9376 ·
Telus is their local phone company. Tel: (604) 310-2255 · PrimusTel is their long-distance
company. Tel: 1800-670-2266 o They also have multi long-distance company, which you have
to explore yourself. I only subscribed this one.

Immigration Info: · You don't have to find lawyer for immigration. That's only a waste of
money. · http://canada-ny.org/immigration/html/index.htm Please come to this web site to
the detail information about how to process your immigration by yourself. Everything is
listed clearly. You can even download the application form. You can also call them if you
have questions. Please find the numbers in the sites. REMEMBER, if you have doubt on any
information; please don't hesitate to call Canada immigration. They are so nice. Only,
they can give you the accurate answer. · http://canada-ny.org/immigration/html/index.htm
If you have to support your spouse after you have landed. This page would definitely is a
PLUS. I found a lot of helpful information on this site. I hope you would like it too.

Lastly, I wish you guys have a wonderful trip, and immigrated successfully. If you still
have doubt, and wish to ask me, I am willing to answer you; however, please don't send any
documentation files for me. I won't open it. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Landing Experience -- Immigrate from New Jersey to Canada

Great information although the thread dates back to 2001.

Thanks

Y