Primary School Teachers

Old Apr 26th 2003, 1:26 am
Jaj

Default Re: Primary School Teachers

>On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:50:47 +0000 (UTC), "Protect The Innocent" wrote:
    >Can anyone share any information on
    >* Getting work as a primary school teacher in Western Oz

http://www.wa.gov.au - find the education department.

>* Any assessments required of UK degree etc

Yes. NOOSR is the assessment authority for teachers.
http://www.detya.gov.au/noosr/leaflets/teaching.htm

>* Are these jobs in need

Don't know. Probably more so outside the Perth metropolitan area.

>* What is the best time of year to get a primary school teaching job

Australian school year starts in February, so I'd guess Oct/Nov is the
best time to look. But vacancies can come up at any time of the year.

Jeremy

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Apr 26th 2003, 8:50 pm
Protect The Innocent

Default Primary School Teachers

Can anyone share any information on
* Getting work as a primary school teacher in Western Oz
* Any assessments required of UK degree etc
* Are these jobs in need
* What is the best time of year to get a primary school teaching job
* Any other info which you can provide

Cheers in advance

Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

NickT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary School Teachers

Originally posted by Protect The Innocent
Can anyone share any information on
* Getting work as a primary school teacher in Western Oz
* Any assessments required of UK degree etc
* Are these jobs in need
* What is the best time of year to get a primary school teaching job
* Any other info which you can provide

Cheers in advance
Just got back from validating our visas in Perth. We are both teachers, I'm secondary and my wife is Primary so we have been searching from info on teaching jobs and prospects since starting our PR applications.

Education department website in Perth is http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/

But very few jobs are advertised. We visited the eduaction department to find out just what you are asking. It appears that all (virtually) teaching posts in state schools are filled by the education department from their lists of teachers looking for work, and deemed suitable. Little point in applying direct to most schools. Most teachers start on casual / supply work, and you need to get registered with the department - but must have your PR first....

Perth metropolitan schools seem pretty well staffed, with lots of competition for posts mainly from WA trained teachers.

We were advised that the openings might be in the country schools but that they couldn't tell us what was available as it constantly changed.

You must be 4 year trained or you won't get in at all, even in shortage secondary subjects (call me bitter and twisted, and less than 4 year trained!).

Time of the year - seems best to be looking during the last term of the year, from September on.

Be prepared to have a hard time getting started - but having said that we are going out in September for good, and something will turn up jobwise...

Oh by the way, temporary contracts seem very popular. We met a teacher who had been on temporary contracts for 10 years. Which is OK unless you want to get a mortgage, or credit card.

Nobody gets a permanent contract until they have done at least 2 to 3 years, often its suggested you start in the country / difficult to staff schools, or remote teaching service, and then many find it difficult to get a job in the metro area.

There is nothing like our TES.

You may find it worth contacting Private primary schools, who recruit direct.

Try this link for schools listings http://www.perthweb.net.au/education/

Good luck but be prepared for a "different" experience of teacher recruitment.

Cheers

Nick
Old May 18th 2003, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Westside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching

Hi,

Just read your info on teaching in WA. Your obviously well informed.

My wife and I, both primary school teachers, arrived in Perth last August. You are right, you need to get relief (supply) teaching in schools first. Once you register with the Department of Education, they will give you a teacher ID number. Once you receive that send your CV and ID number to all the schools directly. It's a pain and they do look after their own first. However, they are all friendly and once you get your face seen its amazing how much work can come off.

To quicken the process up why not do all the application for relief teaching from the UK. Then once you arrive here it's just a matter of showing your visa in your passport.

If you want to work in private schools, that includes all church schools here, then you will need a police federal clearance from Australia. Sounds crazy but they don't give much weight to your UK one, or at least the schools I worked at didn't!

Another point bring over your references from the UK, but when you start doing relief get to know the Principal or Assistant Principals. Your more likely to get a temporary contract if you have Australian references.

Have you researched about the Curriculum Framework? It's the in thing here.

It is hard to get into teaching jobs here, but perseverance will stand you in good stead. And just think- little planning, more non-contact time and no target setting and OfSTED!!!!! Not to mention the climate, way of life and community feeling!

I'm sure you have made the right decision, we have certainly never looked back, although granted it is still early days.

If I can be of any help, please do get back to me! Good luck!