Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Opening a provisional file in London. Some questions

Opening a provisional file in London. Some questions

Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening a provisional file in London. Some questions

I am just about to try and open a provisional file at the American embassy in London regarding my fiancee's I129f petition.

I have so far to send in...

IV-15 check list complete, signed and dated.
DS-230 Part 1 Biographic data signed and dated
DS-156(new updated form) Nonimmigrant visa application(not signed or dated)
DS-156k complete(Not signed or dated)

Should I add the DS-230 part 2(sworn statement)? As part 2 appears to be all part of the same 4 page form along with part 1(biographic data) when you print it off the INS site. Its just on the IV-15 check list, it mentions only part 1.

Should I mail a covering letter with the forms and add the 1st NOA number we received from CSC?

Should I send an adit photograph with the DS-156 in the space provided? or should I just bring the pictures to the eventual interview at the embassy?

Anything I have missed?

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2003, 4:36 am
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Opening a provisional file in London. Some questions

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I am just about to try and open a provisional file at the American embassy in London regarding my fiancee's I129f petition.

I have so far to send in...

IV-15 check list complete, signed and dated.
DS-230 Part 1 Biographic data signed and dated
DS-156(new updated form) Nonimmigrant visa application(not signed or dated)
DS-156k complete(Not signed or dated)

Should I add the DS-230 part 2(sworn statement)? As part 2 appears to be all part of the same 4 page form along with part 1(biographic data) when you print it off the INS site. Its just on the IV-15 check list, it mentions only part 1.
You only send in part one. These forms are used in a variety of ways so don't always seem exactly made for the purpose you're using them for but don't worry about that.

Should I mail a covering letter with the forms and add the 1st NOA number we received from CSC?
That would definitely be a good idea. All the cover letter needs to say is you're requesting they open a provisional file for your visa application.

Should I send an adit photograph with the DS-156 in the space provided? or should I just bring the pictures to the eventual interview at the embassy?
I've heard of people doing both. I attached an adit photo to the one I sent in with my provisional file. After I sent it they changed the rules and requested 2 of these forms filled in on the newer checklists so I took a spare to the embassy with a choice of passport and adit photos. They said I could attach either. I chose passport that time because it was less scarey!

Anything I have missed?
Doesn't look like it to me. Bear in mind it can take them up to 3 weeks to get your stuff on computer and before that they may deny having the stuff. If you're a nervous type you might want to send it registered post because of this.

Now is a good time to get all your vaccinations up-to-date free. It'll cost you if you have them done at the medical. Of course for K1 they don't need to be done till you adjust status but it's cheaper and easier to get it done now.

Oh and... regarding that checklist, where you put down a date for the wedding, bear in mind they try to accommodate people according to these dates so although it seems cheeky to put in an early date since elsewhere they say don't plan anything, it's worth doing. When I mailed them and let them know I'd moved the planned wedding date to an earlier one they responded with a mail the next day that gave me an interview date and pointed out they hadn't scheduled up to this time because I had originally planned to travel later in the year.

Best of luck.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Last edited by ScarlettHill; Mar 11th 2003 at 4:45 am.

Old Mar 11th 2003, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Info