Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Partner Visa BS 801 - granted while offshore

Partner Visa BS 801 - granted while offshore

Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:21 am
Just Joined

dbj_brennan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Visa BS 801 - granted while offshore

Hi all,

I have just returned from an overseas trip to find a letter from DIAC to my partner, which, with her permission, I opened. It notifies her that her BS 801 second stage permanent partner visa has been granted.

I was of the understanding that the BS 801 visa could only be granted while the applicant was physically in Australia. We had duly notified DIAC in advance of our intended trip. They acknowledged receiving this advice (via an auto-response and then a real person) prior to our travelling. However, the visa was granted a few days later when she was abroad, which I always thought was not possible for a partner visa that was originally lodged onshore (her first stage was lodged and granted on the spot while she was in Australia).

Have the rules changed, so that these visas can be granted with the applicant offshore? Or, has DIAC made a mistake? She is still abroad and due to return in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
David

Last edited by dbj_brennan; Dec 11th 2011 at 1:25 am.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Visa BS 801 - granted while offshore

Quick check of the DIAC website says the 801 can be granted when the applicant is either in or outside of Australia.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 2:11 am
Just Joined

dbj_brennan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Partner Visa BS 801 - granted while offshore

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Quick check of the DIAC website says the 801 can be granted when the applicant is either in or outside of Australia.
Many thanks - I should have checked.