H1B - Degrees, BA & MSc

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

KBria is an unknown quantity at this point
Question H1B - Degrees, BA & MSc

Hello all,

I find the forum very helpful, I have been a long time lurker - however now I have a question

I understand the H1B process and criteria. I am currently working towards fulfilling the criteria in regards to work experience and education. Nevertheless I have a question:

I have a BA in Internetional Relations but hopefully next year I am going to obtain a business related (analysis, management based) MSc degree. I understand that one of the ways you can qualify is with a degree. However my 3 yrs degree is not in the field I want to work in (does this make the degree void in regards to the H1B?), but my 1yr MSc would be related to my line of work. Would that make me eligible for the H1B or would I need to gain more years of work experience?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by KBria; Oct 3rd 2011 at 12:01 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1B - Degrees, BA & MSc

no and yes

Do you have a job offer?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

No, but I am working in my field of interest (I understand that you cannot simply apply for a job qualifications/work experience are necessary), hence why I am transitioning out of IR. I understand that this could take years, hence why I am trying to start getting experience and qualifications under my belt now. I have also been carefully looking at job descriptions and tailoring why experiences to the jobs in which I want to apply.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General principle: a US bachelor's degree is considered to have at two years of general studies to give breadth to a liberal education.

Questions such as the one posted are quite fact specific. Without facts, it can't be be really answered.

Have you commissioned an evaluation of academic credentials?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General principle: a US bachelor's degree is considered to have at two years of general studies to give breadth to a liberal education.

Questions such as the one posted are quite fact specific. Without facts, it can't be be really answered.

Have you commissioned an evaluation of academic credentials?
My 3 year British degree is equivalent to a USA 4 year degree, but it is a IR BA.

The undergraduate degree I have clearly is not related to business/analysis/management. My MSc will be related to the job.

I want to know if this is an issue? Would I have to gain further work experience in order to fulfil the criteria, or is ANY undergraduate degree equivalent to a 4 year american degree acceptable? Sorry if I failed to articulate myself clearly.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KBria
My 3 year British degree is equivalent to a USA 4 year degree, but it is a IR BA.

The undergraduate degree I have clearly is not related to business/analysis/management. My MSc will be related to the job.

I want to know if this is an issue? Would I have to gain further work experience in order to fulfil the criteria, or is ANY undergraduate degree equivalent to a 4 year american degree acceptable? Sorry if I failed to articulate myself clearly.
Well, you need to have a job offer and an employer willing to sponsor you for an H1.
Your undergraduate degree is somewhat irrelevant. If your employer hired you despite the fact that your undergrad was not totally relevant and not the 'standard' 4 years long. You need to check equivalency though:

www.wes.org/