Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:47 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Couldn't agree more mate - I'm a few years in with QAS and have told them recently to shove their job.. Couldn't stand the politics, the bullshit and the 'brown nosed, blue eyed boy, if your face doesn't fit' tactics.. If you're not an ICP, then your not trusted to use your common sense and you will be told so.. No disrespect, but QAS trained staff need their hand holding on even the slightest of bad jobs.. Skills depreciation is unbelieveable and I didn't work out in the middle of nowhere!
Come to Australia for the lifestyle - its the best move I ever made - don't come thinking that the sun is going to shine out of the QAS's arse..
The majority of brits on my course would leave the job tomorrow (if it was that simple)..
Sorry to sound so negative...

Originally Posted by mazamaza

Totally agree with your post, im here now 2yrs and the QAS are not a good service to work for make you feel that your 1 day away from the sack. The CART audit system is examined by your work colleuges and then scrutinised by other QAS officers/icp's their medical director is a power freak who likes to dictate and critisise ( waana be paramedic). My advise is think very carefully of what you are going to give up as a uk paramedic ,we are much better than the QAS and your skill level will go down rapidly. Australia is still behind the Uk in education , broadband, etc, the cost of living is much the same ,drink driving /speeding seems a way of life here most days there are deaths or seroius injuries by young hoons . Will be going home for the sake of kids eduction level, not all sunshine /sand can make up for the poor standards that Oz really has to offer us.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

holly32 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.

I currently have no qualifications in this area. I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

onenozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, my name is Constantin Mocanu,from Romania, I have 24 years, now working in the Ministry of Administration and Interior, holding the position of firefighter paramedic and extraction, occupy this place for four years, two years as a firefighter, and two years as a firefighter paramedic , is very low living standards in the country and this push me to look for a job for a better life,and I love what I do that is to save lives, is a sense of accomplishment when you save a life. I want to know how can I apply for a job as a paramedic and extraction or rescue assistance and which documents should I have to have my work recognized, and documents needed to apply for this job, speak and understand English at medium level, I thank you in advance for your answers, and have a good day.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.giyf.com
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

onenozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hater
if this is your only answer to know that you helped me a lot, I searched on other sites but I have not found any concrete answer. otherwise the force be with you. you deserve!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:44 am
Just Joined

rootbeerfloat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hater
ROFLMAO!

Quality!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:29 am
Just Joined

guga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onenozzy
Hello, my name is Constantin Mocanu,from Romania, I have 24 years, now working in the Ministry of Administration and Interior, holding the position of firefighter paramedic and extraction, occupy this place for four years, two years as a firefighter, and two years as a firefighter paramedic , is very low living standards in the country and this push me to look for a job for a better life,and I love what I do that is to save lives, is a sense of accomplishment when you save a life. I want to know how can I apply for a job as a paramedic and extraction or rescue assistance and which documents should I have to have my work recognized, and documents needed to apply for this job, speak and understand English at medium level, I thank you in advance for your answers, and have a good day.
hi

there are only certain countries with which oz, and therefore the QAS, have a labour agreement for the sponsored visa.

the uk and south africa are the two main countries they deal with, but they have taken staff from other euro countries, mostly germany, but this is done on a case by case basis and the staff have to provide training and skills portfolios to match with qas standards

find out if the labour agreement covers your country. oz embassy would be able to tell you. otherwise you would need to find your own visa
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

mrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nice

Woohoo! Flights booked! We are coming across for 2 weeks for my interview and assessments. Sooo nervous as we really want this. We land on the 19th of May and leave June 2nd. Anyone got any advice on the interview process? I would also love to hear suggestions on things we should do during our 2 week stay. Exciting times!!
Old May 10th 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

guga is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i have pm'd you my thoughts

good luck guga
Old May 10th 2011, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

mrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nicemrsbrennan is just really nice

Thanks very much Guga! My colleague had his interview 2 months ago and he said it was pretty straight forward. He only got one A&P question about the functions of the vagus nerve. He got alot of drugs questions and I have downloaded the Drug Protocal from the QAS website as some of them differ more slightly to ours. They didn't ask him to do any practicals as they said they were confident he could do the job.
He accepted the job offer, put his house on the market and it's due to complete in 2 weeks. He emailed QAS regarding his visa and they haven't even processed it yet and have told him it might be another 6 months before it goes through. He's not best pleased as you can imagine.
However, I won't count my chickens before they hatch. I need to get the job first!

We've book accom in Surfers and just want to treat it more like we're living there rather than a holiday, to get a feel for what it might be like.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrsbrennan
Thanks very much Guga! My colleague had his interview 2 months ago and he said it was pretty straight forward. He only got one A&P question about the functions of the vagus nerve. He got alot of drugs questions and I have downloaded the Drug Protocal from the QAS website as some of them differ more slightly to ours. They didn't ask him to do any practicals as they said they were confident he could do the job.
He accepted the job offer, put his house on the market and it's due to complete in 2 weeks. He emailed QAS regarding his visa and they haven't even processed it yet and have told him it might be another 6 months before it goes through. He's not best pleased as you can imagine.
However, I won't count my chickens before they hatch. I need to get the job first!

We've book accom in Surfers and just want to treat it more like we're living there rather than a holiday, to get a feel for what it might be like.
Hi 2 weeks is not very long when you have the jet lag to deal with - but if you are really trying to get a sense of what life is like - go and look at a couple of houses in your price range to really see what you get for your money (look at rentals too). Work out as a family what you like doing so check out sports clubs etc. I don't know if you need schools - but there are three tiers, private, catholic and state. Look at OP pass rates to get a sense of the academic standing and have a look in real life (they look different in real life to on the web). Look at the cost of cars, rego (petrol will seem soooooo cheap) shopping, broadband and utilities so you get a real understanding of how much you will need to live on. Remember it is winter now so will seem like lovely weather now, try to imagine the heat and humidity (and rain) of the summer. And the dark nights - are pretty much like that all year round. That is fine for some people and not for others. Get into Brisbane to see the city and what the shopping, parks restaurants etc are like - cos that's very different from surfers. And when you've done all that - enjoy yourself!!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sla453
Couldn't agree more mate - I'm a few years in with QAS and have told them recently to shove their job.. Couldn't stand the politics, the bullshit and the 'brown nosed, blue eyed boy, if your face doesn't fit' tactics.. If you're not an ICP, then your not trusted to use your common sense and you will be told so.. No disrespect, but QAS trained staff need their hand holding on even the slightest of bad jobs.. Skills depreciation is unbelieveable and I didn't work out in the middle of nowhere!
Come to Australia for the lifestyle - its the best move I ever made - don't come thinking that the sun is going to shine out of the QAS's arse..
The majority of brits on my course would leave the job tomorrow (if it was that simple)..
Sorry to sound so negative...
I agree as well.The job is not the one you left in the UK but you are in a different country and you have to embrace it. Part of the reason I went back but not the main one. Having been back in the NHS for 6 months I would take QAS working day anytime. Had more time to sleep in those beds on station
QAS dont appreciaite UK paras and it used to get to me when ICP.s turned up taking over who thought they were gods and lacked the basics like communication skills. Then you had the staff who treated the crap jobs like it was a proper emergency and running around like headless chickens. Felt undervalued and there wasnt much I hadnt dealt with on my own in the UK without anyone holding my hand.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Phew! Just got back from Brisbane to the UK. We managed to avoid jet lag altogether arriving there and getting back to the UK. We arrived on the 19th May and had 5 days of torrential rain so we couldn't really get out to do much. We made the unfortunate decision to stay in Surfers. Too young, too rowdy and felt like I was on the job on a saturday night We hired a car and I had my assessments and interview on the 26th and 27th. We did lots of sight-seeing and looking at different areas we might live if I get the job. Even down as far as Noosa but the commute would be too much everyday. We liked Broadbeach but don't like high rise living. It's not ideal for shift work having lived in a block some years back. We loved South Bank in Brisbane and had a night out there with a friend. Again, all high rise in that area.
The interview was ok and left that feeling fairly positive. The assessments went on for 5 hours which was a bit gruelling. We feel a bit confused about the whole thing. I was informed today that I passed all stages, so I guess I'm just waiting on a job offer.
We want to move for the lifestyle but I didn't get the wow factor from the Gold Coast. Loved Sunny Coast but no jobs. There are vacancies in Central Brisbane but we don't want to live too far away from the CBD and don't want high rise living.
I thought I would feel so excited but all I feel right now is confused
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:24 am
Just Joined

glenweir1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, you lucky girl I have just started the process and am currently at first stage, 6-8 weeks they say then if lucky interview stage. What about interview and assessments, were they difficult? JR Calc based or wider than that. Did you do much studying before you went out??
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glenweir1
Hi there, you lucky girl I have just started the process and am currently at first stage, 6-8 weeks they say then if lucky interview stage. What about interview and assessments, were they difficult? JR Calc based or wider than that. Did you do much studying before you went out??
Hey Glen, I studied my JR Calc, QLD Drug Protocals which are on their website, and ECG's. The interview was unlike any I've ever done in the past, as were the assessments. But the thing I found was that firstly, they were all very nice and really respected the practical scope that we have. Their underpinning knowledge is far superior to anything I have ever experienced but they did say that they are astounded at UK Paramedic's practical experience and how we apply our knowledge in practice. They are there to encourage you and not to slip you up. I slipped up massively on the first interview question, I read it incorrectly. This was brought to my attention half way through my answer and I given the opportunity to pull it back, which I think I did.
I'll pm you with some of the stuff I was taken through. Very best of luck and if you have any further questions, you can pm me back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.