Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confusion over countersignature

Confusion over countersignature

Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all
Default Confusion over countersignature

Hi I am confused whether or not I need to have my application for a passport renewel contersigned. I read the threads regarding this matter and it appears that I do not have to have my pics or applications countersigned. If so this is some of a relief as I do not know anyone who can do this. I also read the notes that accompany the application and it states that I do need to have it done. Can someone please advise me. I need to apply this week. Thank you
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over countersignature

Originally Posted by Ellie-May
Hi I am confused whether or not I need to have my application for a passport renewel contersigned. I read the threads regarding this matter and it appears that I do not have to have my pics or applications countersigned. If so this is some of a relief as I do not know anyone who can do this. I also read the notes that accompany the application and it states that I do need to have it done. Can someone please advise me. I need to apply this week. Thank you
Welcome to BE.

Before posting it's best to read the sticky threads at the top of the forum. Look at the sticky titled 'UK Passport applications/renewals/replacements etc.' and you'll find the answer posted by the British Consul in Florida.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all

Thank you for your reply. I did read that and thats why I was a a bit confused. I thought great then I went and read the notes and it stated different. What's up with that?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply. I did read that and thats why I was a a bit confused. I thought great then I went and read the notes and it stated different. What's up with that?
What exactly does it say in the notes?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

It says in Note 7 section 9 that once you have completed the forms you should have the form countersigned. If you don't know an appropriate UK citizen you can have an equivalent person from your country of residence.Also it mention that 1 of the pictures should be countersigned?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It says in Note 7 section 9 that once you have completed the forms you should have the form countersigned. If you don't know an appropriate UK citizen you can have an equivalent person from your country of residence.Also it mention that 1 of the pictures should be countersigned?
'Once you have completed and signed the application form, you need to ask someone to fill in and countersign section 10. This person is your countersignatory. They should certify your photo if necessary. Find out who you can ask to do this by checking the list of suitable professions.
Do you need to get your application countersigned?

You need to get your application countersigned if you are applying:

* for a first passport
* to replace a lost stolen or damaged passport
* to renew a passport for a child aged 11 or under
* to renew a passport when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last or current passport'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_174151

If you want further clarification...Dean usually looks in on this forum most days.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, I had been reading the notes prior that accompany the download forms. I guess they just must be different so I am pleased to read that I do not have to have a countersignature.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes- you only need the signatures on new photos if they are very different from the photos in the passport thats expiring (ie coulkdnt recognise as same person) AND that the passport didnt expire a long time ago.