Do I have to to the English test again?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Skydiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I have to to the English test again?

Hi everyone, i did the General IELTS test(not academic ) in 2008 and received my skills assessment . Then , the ANMC did not require the academic to get the certificate. Its now been almost 11/2 years (had to take a break as i was pregnant)and just submitted my meds, awaiting for (hopefully) the grant email.question is, do I have to do the Academic module test to get registered even if I have my skills assessment in place already?

Last edited by Skydiver; Jun 6th 2010 at 11:31 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do I have to to the English test again?

Originally Posted by Skydiver
Hi everyone, i did the General IELTS test(not academic ) in 2008 and received my skills assessment . Then , the ANMC did not require the academic to get the certificate. Its now been almost 11/2 years (had to take a break as i was pregnant)and just submitted my meds, awaiting for (hopefully) the grant email.question is, do I have to do the Academic module test to get registered even if I have my skills assessment in place already?
That is a tricky one! As a skills assessment is nothing to do with registering as a nurse I would have to say that yes unfortunately you would need to do the Academic IELTS to get on a register.
I really hope someone disagrees with me
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You will be registering with the nursing board for the first time and as a non-Australian trained nurse, you will be required to sit the test, sorry!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

hi
if you wait till july 1st 2010 and can prove that you went to a english school
heres an a bit from website

Exemptions
An applicant who is:
a) an internationally qualified applicant, or
b) an applicant who did not undertake and complete their secondary education to the requisite level required for entry into a nursing or midwifery program, taught and assessed in English
must arrange for evidence to be provided to the Board of competency in English language skills as demonstrated by having completed the following tests of English language proficiency:
a) the IELTS examination (academic module) with a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking); or
b) completion and an overall pass in the OET with grades A or B only in each of the four components.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...e%20skills.pdf

thats how i read it
sean
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sean bassett
hi
if you wait till july 1st 2010 and can prove that you went to a english school
heres an a bit from website

Exemptions1.
An applicant who is:
a) an internationally qualified applicant, or
b) an applicant who did not undertake and complete their secondary education to the requisite level required for entry into a nursing or midwifery program, taught and assessed in English
must arrange for evidence to be provided to the Board of competency in English language skills as demonstrated by having completed the following tests of English language proficiency:
a) the IELTS examination (academic module) with a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking); or
b) completion and an overall pass in the OET with grades A or B only in each of the four components.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...e%20skills.pdf

thats how i read it
sean
These are not the exemptions. No matter what, if you did NOT obtain your Nursing qualification in either Australia or New Zealand, you will have to sit the Academic IELTS. I think you may have read a little bit wrong here Sean.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

I spoke to WA nursing board this morning for another matter and she confirmed that if I could prove that I did 3 years of English in an English secondary school and obtained qualification then I would not have to sit my ielts
I have just sat mine so was a bit peeved
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I spoke to WA nursing board this morning for another matter and she confirmed that if I could prove that I did 3 years of English in an English secondary school and obtained qualification then I would not have to sit my ielts
I have just sat mine so was a bit peeved
I think that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing then

http://www.nmbwa.org.au/3/2109/50/re...y_qualified.pm

Anyone who qualified outside of Australia or New Zealand is classes as International.
Maybe someone else could shed some light on this
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

But it states if I didn't attend a Nursing program that had a requisite for a certain standard in English Then I would need to sit ielts but then it states any international applicant Must achieve a 7 in ielts
I'm just hoping I passed mine
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Skydiver is an unknown quantity at this point

But it states if I didn't attend a Nursing program that had a requisite for a certain standard in English Then I would need to sit ielts but then it states any international applicant Must achieve a 7 in ielts
I'm just hoping I passed mine
Thanx ya'll for all the responses. Is the skills assessment just for the visa then?Will wait till July and will call the agency to confirm this!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilson01
I think that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing then

http://www.nmbwa.org.au/3/2109/50/re...y_qualified.pm

Anyone who qualified outside of Australia or New Zealand is classes as International.
Maybe someone else could shed some light on this
I thought it was very clear that all non-Aus trained nurses will need to do an English test as part of the new registration.
WA has only just signed up to be a part of the national agreement, so perhaps they are not yet fully appraised of what is required.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skydiver
Thanx ya'll for all the responses. Is the skills assessment just for the visa then?Will wait till July and will call the agency to confirm this!
Yes that is right. You would only need to obtain a skills assessment if you are planning permenant migration. If it's the 457 visa (temporary) then you don't.
Good Luck with everything