Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is the Dream over or Just Delayed

Is the Dream over or Just Delayed

Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice
Default Is the Dream over or Just Delayed

Well after months of talking we started to take action to move and guess what. They arent recruiting now.

So our LMO is not worth paper its written on.

We are probably our own worst enemy, we went on our recce Apr 09 and werent immediatly bowled over so hence the long lag time but after lots of discussions and sorting our life out we decided to go.

Now there is no jobs. We are now looking at other parts on Canada and i suppose its better to be here with a job instead of Calgary with a TWP living on the edge of a return.

Just feels strange that after Calgary chasing us in the "boom" there is no move in "forseeable future" but he ho world has changed.

Need to start investigating again and so the process starts again.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Dream over or Just Delayed

Don't get disheartened. I'm on my way back up after having been knocked back!

At the end of the day this ridiculous economy can't last forever so even if you have to wait a while there'll be opportunities again!

Are there no options amongst the other visa types?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Hy
Wife and me have been in calgary for three years come November. I have been laid off three timess and I sit with thumb up preverbial ring piece while claiming E.I and watching the world go by.

31 years of sheet metal fabrication doesnt mean jack poo and having a site specific work permit means you cannot work for anybody unless they are willing to get an LMO - which come on, isnt going to happen.

HRSDC dont give a fart about whether you have a job offer or not - I have been given a chance to run a CNC punch press in Lloydminster for $28 p/h in a new machine shop. The company owner has been refused the LMO 3 times so is now having to let his foreign workers go. He can end up shutting his business as he has no one to run the machines. Canadians dont want to work - fact of life. Another company I was offered employment with had over 1500 applications for 15 vacancies. 98% were foreigners who were ready to work but couldnt, (HRSDC once again sticking there ore in) and a handful of Canadians who couldnt be bothered to turn up for the interview once it had been organised.

Not a pretty picture is it?

Steve
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert
He can end up shutting his business as he has no one to run the machines. Canadians dont want to work - fact of life. Another company I was offered employment with had over 1500 applications for 15 vacancies. 98% were foreigners who were ready to work but couldnt, (HRSDC once again sticking there ore in) and a handful of Canadians who couldnt be bothered to turn up for the interview once it had been organised.
If the employer has gone through the hoops and can demonstrate he has tried to hire Canadians or PR then an LMO would be relatively easy to get. HRSDC in my experience have been really helpful. Their mandate is to make sure jobs go to Canadians or PR first and if the labour is not available in Canada to help secure foreign workers.

I have had experience of incompetence and poor work ethic from both Canadian and foreign workers alike. Similalry I have some very good workers of many ethnic backgrounds. Some people are just lazy no matter where they come from.

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 7th 2010 at 10:19 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, if this is the case then why is he fighting to get workers? Why has he had to resort to talking to MPs who I might add have been less than helpful?
And now why has he had to get an immigration lawyer to argue his case?
If HRSD are that helpful then why dont they give him an LMO and let him recruit?

More to the point did somebody get out of the wrong side of the bed and deny him 3 LMOs.

If HRSDC are supposed to be helpful, then they certainly are not showing it in this case.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

EasyRider is an unknown quantity at this point

Hy
Wife and me have been in calgary for three years come November. I have been laid off three timess and I sit with thumb up preverbial ring piece while claiming E.I and watching the world go by.

31 years of sheet metal fabrication doesnt mean jack poo and having a site specific work permit means you cannot work for anybody unless they are willing to get an LMO - which come on, isnt going to happen.

HRSDC dont give a fart about whether you have a job offer or not - I have been given a chance to run a CNC punch press in Lloydminster for $28 p/h in a new machine shop. The company owner has been refused the LMO 3 times so is now having to let his foreign workers go. He can end up shutting his business as he has no one to run the machines. Canadians dont want to work - fact of life. Another company I was offered employment with had over 1500 applications for 15 vacancies. 98% were foreigners who were ready to work but couldnt, (HRSDC once again sticking there ore in) and a handful of Canadians who couldnt be bothered to turn up for the interview once it had been organised.

Not a pretty picture is it?

Steve
Canada is a backwater-- boring, old-fashioned country with no progressive content and overinflated government and bureaucracy. De-industrialized by design. Horrible for professionals-- be prepared to start burying your career here. You have better chances in China or any developing country with sheet metal fabrication specialization. Developed countries have developed already and prefer sitting on their asses and disintegrating morally.

No professional culture, poor work ethics, people get this sense of paid for merely presence <<Snip>> (I'm in Vancouver). He's quote from other guy and I completely agree:

Let's not forget incompetence and poor work ethic. I have lived in several different countries and visited many more and I find the absolute slackness of the people her mind boggling. There is this sense of entitlement that they should just be able to show up at their jobs and get paid merely for their presence. It seems people get jobs here through their connections rather than their competence. As I work in HR, I get to see many resumes and most people who are mangers get their jobs simply because they are from here or know someone. It's like a giant extended fratenity/sorority. Many resumes that would be snatched up in other cities are ignored here because they are new to the city (here less than 3 years).
I have encountered several times situations when govt. employees don't the hell know what they're doing. I was getting LMO's here for 3 years and was told I was lucky to get the last one, though I was exempt from it by their own program (found out later that).

Now, consider yourself very lucky-- you are getting EI on fixed work permit, a lot of people have failed to obtain that, because it seems it's up to their level of incompetence. There is a condition that you have to be able to look for a work after layoff and in the case of employer-based work permit they consider you being unable to look for a job and work based on fact you have no right to work for anybody else on closed work permit. Seems nobody really has a clue. Funny, isn't it?

Quote from another place (unlucky guy):

Ha, there you have it : "........meet eligibility criteria.........." That's the hook ! As per law, you are eligible when you can proof, that you are willing and able to work for anyone else while being laid-off.
The reason we were denied benefits was, because my husband was not able to work for someone else - as his WP is only valid for one company - as is the nature of the WP !!

It's really something that needs to be clarified. I think it's very unfair that all temp. workers have less on their payslip because they have to pay premiums for benefits they are not eligible for. Imagine all the money the government can keep.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 9th 2010 at 9:09 pm. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Fek

And here was me thinking it was all in my mind!!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Its amazing innit - all these sites that diss HRSDC and the way they are treating people and yet nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. MPs shy away from confrontation and its something else when company owners have to enlist an immigration lawyer to try and pressure HRSDC to see a bit of common.

If this many people are pissed about the treatment HRSDC are giving out, then why dont we, (as in we) start some sort a petition going, people to sign it and maybe even get the press involved. If you start rattling some cages then somebody is going to take notice sooner or later.

Or perhaps we are just content to lie back and see what happens.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

...then why dont we, (as in we) start some sort a petition going...
Not me. I'm a fully fledged PR so couldn't give a monkeys about the rights of "Temporary" workers.

Let me repeat part of that......."Temporary"
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

I suppose you wouldnt be saying that if you were still had a temporary permit and be, out of a job.

I take it you are classed as Canadian now then - must be to come to come out with crap like that.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:03 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If this many people are pissed about the treatment HRSDC are giving out, then why dont we, (as in we) start some sort a petition going, people to sign it and maybe even get the press involved. If you start rattling some cages then somebody is going to take notice sooner or later.
'This many..' meaning the two of you on this thread?

Create a poll, and see how many members of BE have had poor experiences, and start your campaigning from there.

Credibility for a campaign needs to avoid hyperbole like 'Horrible for professionals-- be prepared to start burying your career here.' when that's not the case for many migrants.

Also, if you don't like, or don't want to play by the rules such as TWP holders having to pay EI premiums without the benefit of being able to claim, then don't migrate here. Nobody's forced you to take the risk of temporary employment.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Our move was not meant to be temporary, how can you class a move as temporary when you sell your house that you just bought, sold off your new car and new motorbikes, give up your mediocre paying jobs and bid farewell to family and friends. I wouldnt say thats temporary??

If we rented our house out in the UK then fine, at least we could of gone back to something but our move here was always deemed permanent. After being sponsored by an employer and to have that employer lay you off after 7weeks - we should of realised then that we seriously over estimated the Canadians, and their stupid government rules

3 years later we are still up shit creek.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

EasyRider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
'This many..' meaning the two of you on this thread?

Create a poll, and see how many members of BE have had poor experiences, and start your campaigning from there.

Credibility for a campaign needs to avoid hyperbole like 'Horrible for professionals-- be prepared to start burying your career here.' when that's not the case for many migrants.

Also, if you don't like, or don't want to play by the rules such as TWP holders having to pay EI premiums without the benefit of being able to claim, then don't migrate here. Nobody's forced you to take the risk of temporary employment.
And what's the point? No case overrides trend and the trend is successful Canadians end up in the US or whatever 'cause there are more options, opportunities and benefits to be found. I really don't see the point in your post, neither in other guy's with monkey on avatar except some rude blabber.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

It'snot rude blabber at all, and the point is that irrespective of whether or not YOU see your move as permanent, the fact that you are on a TWP means that the powers that be, don't.

Don't get me wrong I feel for you completely, but you have to try and keep pulling yourself up by your bootstrings - no-one else is going to do it for you.

So your options are

a) Face facts and go back

b) Fight like hell to get a new job etc even in this almost impossible climate

Whichever one you choose you can't put the blame on somebody else, it's the way it is and shit happens.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Our move was not meant to be temporary, how can you class a move as temporary when you sell your house that you just bought, sold off your new car and new motorbikes, give up your mediocre paying jobs and bid farewell to family and friends. I wouldnt say thats temporary??
You may not have wanted it to be temporary, but you applied for a temporary work permit, in the hope and expectation of gaining PR at some point (I assume). It's not worked out as you planned, but you decided initially that the risk of selling up was worthwhile.

I did exactly the same, albeit with even more risk as I sold up and moved here as a visitor and didn't apply for a TWP until after I'd invested in a business premises. I knew there was risk involved and had to accept that if things went wrong I'd have to suck it up and return to the UK. While you're employed on a TWP, that's the reality of things.

I've empathy for your plight, but you can't claim to have made the move permanently when at the time you had no right to assume that was the inevitable outcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.