Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Paramedics from the UK?

Any Paramedics from the UK?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

shunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really nice
Default Any Paramedics from the UK?

Hi,

Me and my husband have recently been looking into emigrating to NZ and are therefore wandering if any Paramedics have recently been through or are currently going through the process of obtaining a job offer and work permit/PR and got any advice for us? - My husband is an Urban Search and Rescue Paramedic with over 13 years experience with the NHS.

We have had a response from St. John who have advised that so long as my husband is eligible for a work permit (we achieve 125 points) he can apply for any jobs advertised.
They have stressed that priority is understandably given to NZ citizens but been very helpful.
We have been advised to forward on details of my husbands qualifications to get them assessed which we are in the process of doing.

Although Paramedics are on both the short term and long term skills shortage list, it seems that getting a job is going to prove quite difficult.

Here are a few of the queries we have....

Have you found getting a job difficult?
How long has the process taken?
Have you flown out for interviews etc?
Have you experienced any animosity from New Zealanders?
Any preference for St. John or Wellington Free?

Any advice much appreciated!

Last edited by shunzy; Jan 19th 2010 at 11:55 am.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

bojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nice
Default Re: Any Paramedics from the UK?

Hi there,

There seems to be a small contingent of paramedics building ...I too am in the early stages of applying. But got less of a reception from the ambulance services. Cannot be considered without valid work permit or residency.

Wellington Free have stipulated that would need to travel out for assessment day as part of recruitment so for me this is something to bare in mind regarding costs.

St John do seem more flexible to overseas applicants. I have applied for a position again on the understanding that would be considered if no NZ locals are suitable after a 2nd advertisement.

I have an EOI in the pool for 110 points without Job Offer and waiting to see what happens. It is important to bare in mind as I have found that you will need a Qual check from Ambulance New Zealand to be considered for jobs and then again from NZQA because of the long term skills requirements of the qualification matching exactly to the National Diploma in Ambulance Paramedic. This required a truck load of paperwork and £350 to prove.

With regard to animosity, I haven't seen any all the people I have dealt with have been more than happy to help with enquiries. Its just the catch 22 of needing a work permit to get a job offer and a job offer to get a work permit that I am still struggling to get my head around.

Hope that helps?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

shunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really niceshunzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by bojingles
Hi there,

There seems to be a small contingent of paramedics building ...I too am in the early stages of applying. But got less of a reception from the ambulance services. Cannot be considered without valid work permit or residency.

Wellington Free have stipulated that would need to travel out for assessment day as part of recruitment so for me this is something to bare in mind regarding costs.

St John do seem more flexible to overseas applicants. I have applied for a position again on the understanding that would be considered if no NZ locals are suitable after a 2nd advertisement.

I have an EOI in the pool for 110 points without Job Offer and waiting to see what happens. It is important to bare in mind as I have found that you will need a Qual check from Ambulance New Zealand to be considered for jobs and then again from NZQA because of the long term skills requirements of the qualification matching exactly to the National Diploma in Ambulance Paramedic. This required a truck load of paperwork and £350 to prove.

With regard to animosity, I haven't seen any all the people I have dealt with have been more than happy to help with enquiries. Its just the catch 22 of needing a work permit to get a job offer and a job offer to get a work permit that I am still struggling to get my head around.

Hope that helps?

Hi,

Ah nice to know there are others out there in the same boat, thanks for the reply!

It's a nightmare; you can't be considered without a valid work permit or residency for some jobs, but without the job you don't quite get the points for automatic selection from EOI to get residency!
To up sticks and move if residency is granted with no guarantee of a job at the end of it is terrifying especially if it means losing a permanent shift in the UK!

I agree, St.John seemed nice and got back to me the same day. They just said to keep applying for advertised jobs after skills been assessed, but guess they say that to everyone!

Wasn't aware of the £350 to have skills assessed - is this done through St. John or is it a government/immigration requirement? How do you go about it?

I guess a trip out there for the assessment by Wellington shows you're serious about going but blimey at a price! And with no gurantee of a job at the end of it!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

bojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nicebojingles is just really nice

I too am daunted at the thought of getting a permit and having to head over there without any formal plans. Makes things difficult in terms of housing ect.

The appraisal process starts with Ambulance New Zealand. The contact details are on the services overseas recruitment pages. The lady is extremely helpful and sends full instructions on what you need to do. You need to prepare a portfolio of evidence, qualifications, syllabus of the course taken, results, employment references and so on... Send this down to them + fee of $350 (£170) and about a week or so later you'll get a report saying what level and skills you can practice at. I did this before anything else, I felt if there's no point starting visa process if you can't work when you get there.

To apply and claim the Long Term Skills bonus points (both for qualification and for work experience), you need to show that the qualification you claim matches the NZ equiv stated on the shortage list. The National Diploma in Ambulance (Paramedic) unless your husband holds a degree. To do this you need to contact NZQA www.nzqa.govt.nz and request an international qualification assessment. This is more anal than the ambulance one as they want original certificates and certified copies of documents.

Complete the online form pay the fee (Credit Card Only) $740 (£350) and then you'll get a print off to send with your documents. Their website states it takes 35 days but mine was done in less than 3. You can track it online.

Once you have both documents you know where you stand and then can comfortably submit an EOI to immigration safe that all the bases are covered when they come to verify it.

So many hurdles?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Great posts from the two of you.

Have some BE karma.

I'm moving this thread to the main forum as it deserves to be there.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bojingles for all the info, you've been a great help.

I had a look at the websites and the information booklet you attached as a link on other thread (sorry didn't realise there was another out there!), and it seems relatively straightforward as you said.

I agree about bypassing the migration agents, we got a couple of quotes; extortionate amounts of money! And it really is all there on the net, just have to take the time out to read it all thoroughly, but hey if you're prepared to move half way across the world the reading hours need to be put in!

The costs aren't too bad for the assessments, at least as you said it gives you an idea of what grade you can apply for and peace of mind.

Good luck with the job apps! Keep us posted...

Shunzy
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

jim b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have recently been out to nz as my partner had an interview with wellington free for a paramedic job it all went well but it took 2 months for them to let him know he had a job offer (with him doing all the chasing) and they wanted him to start in less than a months time after notifying him and still have not sen the offer through!, make sure you have everything ready to move!, i don't think wellington free realise the extent of moving to nz and what it entails.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

medicmike666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm a Paramedic from the UK and was HPC registered. I'm currently in Queenstown, South Island. I've had my skills appraised by Ambulance NZ which came back as the equivalent of Level 6, Ambulance Officer. So far, since Christmas, I've applied for over 30 positions within NZ and not heard much back from St John. I now also have a NZ driving licence having converted it from the UK. Cost me 45 dollars.

I've been told that there is no shortage of Paramedics, despite what Immigration NZ claim. I just have to apply like everyone else and should they not be able to recruit nationally, then my application will be considered further. I'm most likely to get a rural position as they sometimes struggle to fill those vacancies.

They are aware I'm here, they have my details, and know I'm willing to start straight away. Red tape and bureaucracy....but I understand why it is. I'm currently on an extended working/holiday visa but will apply for Work to Residence if I get a job offer. I have over 115 points to qualify for my EOI, but for safe bet I'll wait for the job offer, should I get one.

In the mean time I'm working locally and considering volunteering with the local Ambo St John, to get myself aquainted and my foot in the door. Ski season starts soon so should be fun.

As for Wellington Free, I submitted a completed application form and was rejected virtually there and then. No interview or invitation for assessment for me. Having spoken to them, (they didn't email back), they explained that they are no longer looking for Paramedics (level 6), but Advanced Para's to help train the Ambulance Officers they already have.

Any questions, I'm here to ask.

Good luck