Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Originally Posted by lisa67
Oh I agree totally JG, just had never come across this before and was suprised by it all...just felt sorry for the family who have to travel like this. I mean the airline couldn't guarantee that no one on the inbound flight had been eating peanuts or products containing peanut oil.
Just so long as you're laying off the kittens
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's good news and interesting to know in case anyone else asks.
Some further info that might be useful for others (though this is kitten specific as there are sometimes extra rules for puppies).

I looked into what we'd need to do to comply with the law in the US. It turns out we have to comply with three sets of laws:
- Federal, cos we're going through customs.
- NY State, cos that's where we're landing and transiting.
- TX, cos that's where we're ending up.

Federal law is USDA and CDC. Turns out the Feds don't want anything from us, though they reserve the right to give her a once over. We're bringing a health cert anyway because...

While NY State law appears to have an exception to the health cert requirements for pets in transit, I called them and they said that they interpreted that as letting you off filing the cert, not having it. You can get details for other states here, but don't rely on that alone. The TX one takes you to the TX animal Health Commission - which deals with livestock, whereas...

The relevant body for TX is the DSHS Zoonosis Control Branch. They don't want a health cert but insist on a rabies Vx cert.

Now the rabies thing is interesting because there are three very different rules:
- The Feds let you off if you've been 6 months or more (or since birth if under 6 months) in a rabies free country.
- NY doesn't care if you're from a rabies free country but will let you off if your vet says Vx is contraindicated on health or age grounds.
- TX has no exceptions. Vx or they'll quarantine you until you can get a vet to come to the airport and give you a shot. (To be fair to the lady from TX, she did imply that, if we weren't clearing customs in TX we might get away with it, but we're not taking chances and are going to the vet next week).

Then there's the airlines. We're using Delta TATL and AA domestic. Both say that they don't need any paperwork. Delta did say that we'd have to satisfy the Feds, but I'm glad I looked into the State stuff as well.

Oh, and then there's County and City ordinances. Our County has none, but our City has a rule that all kittens are indoor kittens, or on a leash if outdoors. I found a link to the TX local ordinances here.

So, all in all, there's a lot more to it than just keeping the airlines and the Feds happy.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
It's actually very common on domestic flights in the USA. I've been sat next to puppies lots of times. It's only TATL where it gets a bit unusual.
I sat next to a woman on one flight (internal US flight) who had a small beagle-type mutt. She let it out of its little crate because it was whining, and it started wrigling around until it got onto my lap (I was sitting next to the window). It pressed its nose between my arm and the side of the plane and just sat there that way for the whole flight. Poor thing was terrified. I recognised the symptoms though, because Suzy is like that - on any moving vehicle, she just wants to get wedged in a corner so she feels stable.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Some further info that might be useful for others (though this is kitten specific as there are sometimes extra rules for puppies).

I looked into what we'd need to do to comply with the law in the US. It turns out we have to comply with three sets of laws:
- Federal, cos we're going through customs.
- NY State, cos that's where we're landing and transiting.
- TX, cos that's where we're ending up.

Federal law is USDA and CDC. Turns out the Feds don't want anything from us, though they reserve the right to give her a once over. We're bringing a health cert anyway because...

While NY State law appears to have an exception to the health cert requirements for pets in transit, I called them and they said that they interpreted that as letting you off filing the cert, not having it. You can get details for other states here, but don't rely on that alone. The TX one takes you to the TX animal Health Commission - which deals with livestock, whereas...

The relevant body for TX is the DSHS Zoonosis Control Branch. They don't want a health cert but insist on a rabies Vx cert.

Now the rabies thing is interesting because there are three very different rules:
- The Feds let you off if you've been 6 months or more (or since birth if under 6 months) in a rabies free country.
- NY doesn't care if you're from a rabies free country but will let you off if your vet says Vx is contraindicated on health or age grounds.
- TX has no exceptions. Vx or they'll quarantine you until you can get a vet to come to the airport and give you a shot. (To be fair to the lady from TX, she did imply that, if we weren't clearing customs in TX we might get away with it, but we're not taking chances and are going to the vet next week).

Then there's the airlines. We're using Delta TATL and AA domestic. Both say that they don't need any paperwork. Delta did say that we'd have to satisfy the Feds, but I'm glad I looked into the State stuff as well.

Oh, and then there's County and City ordinances. Our County has none, but our City has a rule that all kittens are indoor kittens, or on a leash if outdoors. I found a link to the TX local ordinances here.

So, all in all, there's a lot more to it than just keeping the airlines and the Feds happy.
If you are getting the pet's rabies shot in the UK...check your states requirement ie live vaccine or not.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are getting the pet's rabies shot in the UK...check your states requirement ie live vaccine or not.
Good point! I did do that, but forgot to mention it (the post was getting loooong )

FWIW, TX will accept any Vx for entry purposes, but requires a USDA approved Vx, to stay there. There's a list here.

Veterinarians in Texas are restricted to using vaccines approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA); however, for entry purposes only, dogs and cats travelling into the state may be inoculated against rabies with killed, modified live, or recombinant vaccine. Once in Texas, if a USDA-approved vaccine was not used, compliance must be achieved.
So, best to go with a USDA approved one if possible, to save another jab. I'll print out the list and take it to the vet's next week, to see if we can work out which one(s) on it are available in the UK.