Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of
Default Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

As real Dog fans who adore their family Springer Spaniel, I just wanted to share with you some information about taking your Lovable Dog with you to Canada.

When we first started looking into how to take Chloe with us it seemed all a bit confusing....but here are our observations and experiences, they may help others...

Firstly, our pet insurance is still valid for 60 days after we all leave the UK. This will give us time to get Pet insurance in Canada but obviously means we have intitial cover for her. I am going to type and sign a 'cancellation of policy letter' out for my mother in Law to date and post when we find pet insurance in Canada. It's well worth checking your insurance, having said this not sure if it is the same for PR as TWP as TWP is obviously classed as temporary travel (we are going to Alberta on a TWP).

Secondly, the whole performance of finding the right container! There is no limit on how big your Sky Kennel, Vari Kennel etc has to be, if you are happy to pay a little extra for the container then it's okay if it's a little bigger. There is only a minimum size. I have been assured by Air Canada that animals are not in more danger in a bigger kennel as this is what I was told by a Pet Transport Company i.e due to turbulence.

If you don't leave the UK with a valid Pet Passport (Canada are taking part in the scheme) and have to return to the UK with your pet they DO have to go into quarantine, if they have a Pet Passport they DONT. Please read following posts with Biiiiink for clarification.

The vaccinations are quite straight forward on

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/petse.shtml

These are things I struggled to find info on so just wanted to share

I will now go back to my Puppy Orientation classes Chloe is used to her Vari Kennel now...she sleeps in it all night (not with the door closed) I have downloaded lots of aircraft noise and have it on very loud in the Study where her Kennel is The next stage is to wait til dark and put the noises on gradually ...then maybe shake the kennel a bit with the noises on the week before we go She will have her wings before you know it

Julie

Last edited by Rhodeys; Apr 17th 2008 at 2:15 pm. Reason: Clearer explaination needed
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

Originally Posted by Rhodeys

If you don't leave the UK with a valid Pet Passport (Canada are taking part in the scheme) and have to return to the UK with your pet they DO have to go into quarantine, if they have a Pet Passport they DONT.
Karma for your post Have a look at the pet transportation wiki and maybe you could add your info in there too?

You can arrange a pet passport in Canada too, same procedure as in the UK so if you think you'll return to the UK, and you don't have time to arrange a pet passport before you leave, you can still avoid quarantine by getting the passport arranged over here. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or if you were saying only UK-issued pet passports could get your pet back into the UK, which isn't the case.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Biiiiink

Sorry I didn't make it very clear when I said Canada are part of the PETS Scheme. You can indeed get a Pet Passport issued in Canada because they are part of the scheme, but if the information given to me by my Vet and DEFRA is correct you cannot return to the UK within 6 months of the Rabies blood test results so the earlier done the better according to our Vet? Your pet scheme requires only one blood test and a 6 calendar month wait provided all subsequent rabies booster vaccinations are given by the required date. I think my Vet who specializes in Animal Travel etc recommends it because to get a Pet Passport you have to be micro chipped etc and it is not a legal requirement in Canada, you then have to wait for registration apparently. But as you rightly state it is possible in Canada.

Julie
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

shazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

[QUOTE=Rhodeys;6223075]As real Dog fans who adore their family Springer Spaniel, I just wanted to share with you some information about taking your Lovable Dog with you to Canada.

When we first started looking into how to take Chloe with us it seemed all a bit confusing....but here are our observations and experiences, they may help others...

Hi to all dog lovers,
Here is an idea I used, when bringing my two dogs to Canada.
If you are thinking about transporting your pet to another country in a crate/kennel.
Write a bit about them on some paper, eg their name, the name of any other pet travelling with them, what they like and don't like, if they are friendly etc and attach it to there crate/kennel.

I wrote on my dogs crates.

My name is Tygger, I am a first time flyer.
I am very friendly and I love it when poeple talk to me, but i am frightened when people bang my crate.
Have you seen my playmate Bonnie, she is Black, White and deaf, she's around here somewhere, If you see her can you please put us next to each other.

Then whilst at the airport people are more likely to talk to your dog, and less likely to bang their crate, whilst your pet is waiting for you to pick them up.
Shazza151
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great Idea Shazza

The more info the b etter!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

shazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rhodeys
Great Idea Shazza

The more info the b etter!
Thanx Rhodey, My OH always says im a mindful of useful and useless information lol
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lol..the more info for our pets we have the better!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Fantastic ideas! I am worried sick about transporting my pet parrots in June, and these ideas are a real help. I am off to download some aircraft noises now to start the training

Rachel
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Fantastic ideas! I am worried sick about transporting my pet parrots in June, and these ideas are a real help. I am off to download some aircraft noises now to start the training

Rachel
Have you found out all about the process for importing and quarantining birds? There have been threads on here before on this subject.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:37 am
Just Joined

g.gary32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
Does anyone have any good tips on moving pets abroad
Anything will help alot Im really confused..
Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Morwenna,

It has been a nightmare to sort out their paperwork, our visa's were easy in comparison!

We have a letter stating we do not need an export permit, we have the CITES export permit; we go over in two weeks to have our house passed as suitable for quarantine to activate our import permit and we have a letter stating we don't need a CITES import permit.

We have the specially made boxes on order, and have booked into the vet to get a fitness to fly certificate. What a nightmare!

G.gary,
What animals are you taking?

Rachel
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:58 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Im so glad for the info...my wee darlin Honey (Bishon Frise) is terrified of every loud noise she hears...she won't stay in the house at all if the dishwasher is on!!! She runs upstairs to get away from the hoover. She panics if a lorry goes past when she's out for a walk...Im so worried that when our time comes (if ever) and she has to go on a plane that she freaks out and they refuse to take her

She's such a friendly wee thing, she loves people and she's brilliant with other animals, it's such a pity that she just hate loud noises... mrs 007
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Arrow Re: Moved: If you have Dogs to take to Canada

Originally Posted by rabc0077
Im so glad for the info...my wee darlin Honey (Bishon Frise) is terrified of every loud noise she hears...she won't stay in the house at all if the dishwasher is on!!! She runs upstairs to get away from the hoover. She panics if a lorry goes past when she's out for a walk...Im so worried that when our time comes (if ever) and she has to go on a plane that she freaks out and they refuse to take her

She's such a friendly wee thing, she loves people and she's brilliant with other animals, it's such a pity that she just hate loud noises... mrs 007
Hi rabc,
Try introducing you pet to different pre-recorded noises eg aircraft noises, sirens, horns, buzzers music etc, a little at a time, play the recordings as low background noise, then progressively turn up the volume over a period of time. So that your pet gets used to different sound levels.
When you crate her up for the journey, put a smelly sock or peice of clothing of yours in the crate with her for comfort, believe me customs are used to seeing owners clothes such as socks etc when transporting animals.
Hope all goes well
Shazza 151
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:59 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rabc0077

Im panicking loads about taking mine. i have 2 dogs - 1 is a tiny chihuahua who has the bravery of a lion, and the other is a very large Utonagan ( wolf lookalike) who is the biggest baby ever. Took him to the vets for his PETS bloodtest and it took 3 nurses to hold him down whilst he screamed wailed and struggled, he sulked all the way home in tha car. He is not good with other dogs,( apart from ours) hates cars, lorries buses ( anything with wheels) I dread to think how on earth i will get him in the crate _ which is being made specially from wood as he is too big for any of the vari / sky kennels. We are sending him away for intense training in May for 2 weeks to try and deal with his ' dog aggression' Im absolutely worried it wont work and we wont be able to take himwith us. Im worried he will throw a complete fit on the plane and try and eat his was out of his kennel - we had to have electric fencing put up as he ate through our fence, so we put chicken wire up and he ate through that too!!!! so had to get the electric fencing ( doesnt eat through that lol) he is fantastic in the house with our kids, tiny dog who bosses him and 3 cats - he is just WAY too stressful when he goes out
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:21 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza151
Hi rabc,
Try introducing you pet to different pre-recorded noises eg aircraft noises, sirens, horns, buzzers music etc, a little at a time, play the recordings as low background noise, then progressively turn up the volume over a period of time. So that your pet gets used to different sound levels.
When you crate her up for the journey, put a smelly sock or peice of clothing of yours in the crate with her for comfort, believe me customs are used to seeing owners clothes such as socks etc when transporting animals.
Hope all goes well
Shazza 151
Thanks Shazza...the sock thing might work if i stuff it in her ears...
im downloading some aircraft noise at the mo so i'll let you know how i get on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.