Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking about NZ-Oz

Thinking about NZ-Oz

Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:24 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Thinking about NZ-Oz

Hello all

We're in NZ and considering Oz in the future for a few reasons:
  • wages are small here but taxes and cost of living seem high
  • the weather (even here in Hawkes Bay)
  • the isolation (we're in Hawkes Bay because we wanted the best weather we could get)
  • parents in Oz
  • love Oz beaches
  • adore the amount of bush in Oz
However there is much we love about NZ, especially
  • the schools and education system
  • the friendly people

We're thinking about doing this in a couple of years but at this stage I'm wondering a few things and hope you lot can help
  1. My dh is a NZ citizen and myself and our 2 children are permanent residents. By the time we plan to head to Oz (if we do), the children and I will have IRRV, but won't be NZ citizens. Where does this leave us in terms of Oz immigration? Would we need to apply under the points system? Dh is a nurse so we shouldn't have any problems finding work.
  2. What are the relocation costs to Oz (thinking Newcastle or Brisbane areas) like? We would have about a '20 footer'.
  3. What is the primary school system like? IE, is it closer to NZ or UK system because leaving the UK exam focussed, target driven, tunnel visioned nonsense (imo! I realise everyone looks for different things from schools for their kids) and enjoying NZ's holistic, child centred relative utopia has been a major plus of the move and one I'd be reluctant to abandon.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who replies to any of this
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:43 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about NZ-Oz

Can't really help I'm afraid, but welcome to the nut house...
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:36 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Hello all

We're in NZ and considering Oz in the future for a few reasons:
  • wages are small here but taxes and cost of living seem high
  • the weather (even here in Hawkes Bay)
  • the isolation (we're in Hawkes Bay because we wanted the best weather we could get)
  • parents in Oz
  • love Oz beaches
  • adore the amount of bush in Oz
However there is much we love about NZ, especially
  • the schools and education system
  • the friendly people

We're thinking about doing this in a couple of years but at this stage I'm wondering a few things and hope you lot can help
  1. My dh is a NZ citizen and myself and our 2 children are permanent residents. By the time we plan to head to Oz (if we do), the children and I will have IRRV, but won't be NZ citizens. Where does this leave us in terms of Oz immigration? Would we need to apply under the points system? Dh is a nurse so we shouldn't have any problems finding work.
  2. What are the relocation costs to Oz (thinking Newcastle or Brisbane areas) like? We would have about a '20 footer'.
  3. What is the primary school system like? IE, is it closer to NZ or UK system because leaving the UK exam focussed, target driven, tunnel visioned nonsense (imo! I realise everyone looks for different things from schools for their kids) and enjoying NZ's holistic, child centred relative utopia has been a major plus of the move and one I'd be reluctant to abandon.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who replies to any of this
As NZ permanent residents you do not have to apply for a points based entry. You just book your ticket and fly over. You have rights to work and access to public health system (you'll need to get a taxfile number and a medicare card).

It is though, recommended that you get your NZ citizenship first. If you intend applying for OZ be aware that rules are in the process of changing , or have already changed, making now a 4yr wait, and you might even be subject to points system on that as your actual citizenship is not NZ but UK. JAJ knows heaps on this topic so maybe PM him or repost on the OZ migration forum.

If you do decide to come to OZ while only on NZ PR, make sure you familarise yourself with NZ govt requirements regarding being out of NZ on PR and still remaining eligible for NZ citizenship. Otherwise you could possibly end up having to return to UK.

Can't comment about newcastle or OZ education system in comparison to NZ/UK, but Brisbane is okay. Locals friendly compared to some other OZ capital cities. Weather can be hot and humid and take abit of getting used to! You can literally have a shower in the morning (during spring/summer) and walk 20 mins and feel like you need another!!! Aircon in home and car is higly recommended.

Oh as far as wages go, they do not in many cases, greatly exceed kiwi salaries. Often people come over and find out the hard way!.It depends on type of work you do and what your award or workplace contract stipulates. Many perks and penalties have been lost in many fields under new IR law reforms.

I have checked grocery prices online and in conversationsons with family in NZ, and pricing overall is similar, even if we do pay less GST and none at all on fresh foods. It is not uncommon for example, to be paying $20-$30 a kilo for local fresh fish or you can pay around $10 for Vietnamese imported from Mekong Delta region (NO THANKS!!!).

There was some tax relief for lower to middle income earners this budget, but it's an election year! To be expected. Hasn't been any real tax relief for this group for sometimes, except I think maybe for those with young kids.

NZ will always appear to be more pricey than OZ while the OZ dollar is so strong, hence the perception of higher cost of living. It depends on the purchases you make in many cases. I've certainly seen some products in NZ cheaper than here.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 30th 2007 at 8:45 am.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all
[*]What are the relocation costs to Oz (thinking Newcastle or Brisbane areas) like? We would have about a '20 footer'.
You can't hire a 20 footer!
For us Rangiora to Brisbane 4 bed house = $6,000 all in door to door, considering Auckland to Rangiora 2 years prior was $10K I thought that was a bargain!

Flights, budget $300 per person or get a ANZ frequent flyer Visa

If you have dogs well the cost to fly them over is about a $1K we paid $1500 for a lab and a staff.

We moved for the same reasons as you!

Any more questions please ask.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Oh as far as wages go, they do not in many cases, greatly exceed kiwi salaries.
I get paid about 3 times more than I did in NZ and pay a lot less tax

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Jun 30th 2007 at 9:13 am.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

As NZ permanent residents you do not have to apply for a points based entry. You just book your ticket and fly over. You have rights to work and access to public health system (you'll need to get a taxfile number and a medicare card).
As far as I understand it that is now only the case for NZ citizens.

But perhaps I'm wrong?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

But perhaps I'm wrong?

Your right.

Say a Brit has OZ PR he/she could live and work in both NZ and OZ. However a Brit with just NZ PR can only work in NZ, makes sense really.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:58 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

But perhaps I'm wrong?
Hmmm, I can't say that I'm 100% sure. I drew a conclusion from a comment JAJ posted in reply to a question from another NZ PR holder who was planning to go to OZ. I know OZ PR holders can enter NZ on one way tickets etc. Might be best to check with OZ immigration at: www.dimia.gov.au and also their NZ counterpart : www.immigration.govt.nz just so you get 100% accurate info.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:00 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Your right.

Say a Brit has OZ PR he/she could live and work in both NZ and OZ. However a Brit with just NZ PR can only work in NZ, makes sense really.
That would seem to be some inconsistency in my mind, but govts have been known to make strange decisions!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

That would seem to be some inconsistency in my mind, but govts have been known to make strange decisions!
Well its fact Luv, if you could come here just with NZ PR there would be a lot less people in NZ.

I'm ready for the hail of abuse
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:09 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Well its fact Luv, if you could come here just with NZ PR there would be a lot less people in NZ.

I'm ready for the hail of abuse
correct. Need to be an NZ citizen to work in OZ. I know millions of people who have gone down that route. (ok slight exageration)
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:17 pm
---

In case anyone else is in the same situation there is a visa specifically for us If your partner is a NZ citizen then he or she will be eligible for 'Special Category (subclass 444) at the border of Oz. Non-NZ citizen family members apply for 'New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 461)' in advance of entering Oz. There are health and character requirements and the visa is only for 5 years. However you can renew the visa dependant upon the following:
  • you have maintained Australian residency; you must have been in Australia for a total of at least two (2) years in the last five (5) years
  • you continue to meet standard health and character requirements
  • you do not become the member of a family of another person (other than another Special Category visa holder)
  • if you are currently outside Australia, you held this visa when you left Australia.

Here's the link to the page

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/461/index.htm

HTH someone else
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

[LIST=1][*]My dh is a NZ citizen and myself and our 2 children are permanent residents. By the time we plan to head to Oz (if we do), the children and I will have IRRV, but won't be NZ citizens. Where does this leave us in terms of Oz immigration? Would we need to apply under the points system? Dh is a nurse so we shouldn't have any problems finding work.
Unless you get New Zealand citizenship, Australia won't give you any easier time. NZ residents have no special benefits. But even with NZ citizenship, you don't get any access to full permanent resident rights in Australia.

So it probably makes sense for your DH to look for a permanent visa based on his skills as a nurse. How old is he?

Also, regarding NZ citizenship:

- if your DH is a New Zealand citizen, why don't your children have New Zealand citizenship?

- How long have you been in New Zealand?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:50 am
---

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless you get New Zealand citizenship, Australia won't give you any easier time. NZ residents have no special benefits. But even with NZ citizenship, you don't get any access to full permanent resident rights in Australia.

So it probably makes sense for your DH to look for a permanent visa based on his skills as a nurse. How old is he?

Also, regarding NZ citizenship:

- if your DH is a New Zealand citizen, why don't your children have New Zealand citizenship?

- How long have you been in New Zealand?
My children and I don't have NZ citizenship because my husband was granted it by descent and his generation was the last to be able to claim it that way. I have not been in NZ long enough to get citizenship; we'll need to wait the full five years as we don't qualify under the three year rule.

It does indeed look like it would be worth our while, given that we're not considering it for another 18 months, going for PR as skilled migrants. It's just that that's so costly and lengthy I was hoping to avoid it somehow
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My children and I don't have NZ citizenship because my husband was granted it by descent and his generation was the last to be able to claim it that way. I have not been in NZ long enough to get citizenship; we'll need to wait the full five years as we don't qualify under the three year rule.
Did your husband have a New Zealand born mother or father, and was he born before or after 1 January 1978?

You would have to wait, but your children (if aged under 16) do not have to wait because they are settled in New Zealand with a NZ citizen parent. As far as I know, only one NZ citizen parent is required, not both.

Contact the Citizenship Office with a view to making an application for them to become naturalised New Zealand citizens. http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Needless to say, if you leave NZ without getting New Zealand citizenship for them, then the opportunity will be closed.

It does indeed look like it would be worth our while, given that we're not considering it for another 18 months, going for PR as skilled migrants. It's just that that's so costly and lengthy I was hoping to avoid it somehow
It shouldn't be that difficult if your husband is a nurse. How old is he?

You should get your IRRV anyway before leaving NZ. Under current laws you could come back as Australian citizens (new residence requirement is 4 years in Australia) but you should bear in mind that NZ rules might always change.

Skilled visa for Australia is the way to go. Forget the 461 visa, just apply for migration like anyone else assuming you qualify.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 1st 2007 at 5:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.