ACS and Web Dev?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Bealers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS and Web Dev?

Hi,

We're currently at the early stages of considering the move to Auz for a period and of course getting work is right up there on the list.

My specific area for investigation right now is whether my skills will pass ACS scrutiny and will they count under the rather generic category of IT 'Other'. As an open source web developer, e.g. PHP/MySQL/Linux I'm wondering whether these sort of skills will count for much or whether I should slant any application towards 'recognised' skills basically blagging it a bit by getting myself - say - an MCP or two.

I've only got A-levels but do have approaching 9 years commercial experience doing what I do but to complicate matters 3 years of that were for a company that went bust and since then (another 4) I've been self employed owning/managing 2 different development companies: the first one for 4 years which I grew up to a team of eight before selling out and now a new venture where it's just me and two staff.

In short I'm wondering whether I'll have a hard time of proving competency and if the ACS would prefer it if I came to them with something a bit more credible.

FWIW I've also got better than OK linux sysadmin and TCP/IP skills plus I did have a CCNA until it recently lapsed (rather annoyingly).

Any thoughts on my situation would be welcomed.

Cheers

db