Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsored Spouse - Landing Question

Sponsored Spouse - Landing Question

Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice
Default Sponsored Spouse - Landing Question

I would be grateful if anyone could help with the following:

My Canadian husband is sponsoring me, we both live in the UK. I wish to land and then return to the UK for a while before we go permanently. My questions are:

1) Can I land alone or does my husband (& our children) also need to be present?

2) If my husband does need to be involved, does it matter if he uses his british passport on this trip (his Canadian one has expired)? Ditto for the children, who as yet only have british passports? I planned for him/them to arrive on their Canadian passports when we move permanently.

Many thanks if you can help with this and apologies if it's a silly/irrelevant question. I'm trying to think of every potential pitfall in case I need to arrange my landing trip at short notice. (If nothing else, this whole process has taught me that pregnancy and PR apps definitely don't go well together...)

V
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:08 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsored Spouse - Landing Question

When sponsoring you your husband signed a declaration to move back to Canada once you get PR visa - if he doesn't then you may expect problems. And as Canadian citizen he must use Canadian passport to enter Canada.

Originally Posted by VCox
I would be grateful if anyone could help with the following:

My Canadian husband is sponsoring me, we both live in the UK. I wish to land and then return to the UK for a while before we go permanently. My questions are:

1) Can I land alone or does my husband (& our children) also need to be present?

2) If my husband does need to be involved, does it matter if he uses his british passport on this trip (his Canadian one has expired)? Ditto for the children, who as yet only have british passports? I planned for him/them to arrive on their Canadian passports when we move permanently.

Many thanks if you can help with this and apologies if it's a silly/irrelevant question. I'm trying to think of every potential pitfall in case I need to arrange my landing trip at short notice. (If nothing else, this whole process has taught me that pregnancy and PR apps definitely don't go well together...)

V
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
When sponsoring you your husband signed a declaration to move back to Canada once you get PR visa - if he doesn't then you may expect problems. And as Canadian citizen he must use Canadian passport to enter Canada.
But real life happens, and there's nothing to say a sponsor must accompany the sponsored person on their landing trip, is there?

Can you link to law saying Canadians must enter Canada on a Canadian passport? I haven't heard that and have a Canadian brother who will soon visit on his British passport.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

I have checkted that we don't have to move permanently at the time of landing and can return to sort out my affairs, so my question is whether theoretically I can do the landing alone?

I'm aware of the declaration we've signed and we fully intend to live in Canada as soon as we can. My husband has travelled to Canada on his british passport for the last few years, I just wanted to clarify whether he's involved in my landing process and if he is, if he needs to be on a canadian passport. Also whether the children also have to be there and on canadian passports at this time.

If anyone can clarify it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

V
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:03 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you theoretically can. But some officers at the port of entry may make some fuss about it. Kids don't have to be present at all. As for your husband coming to Canada on British passport - did he ever declared that he is a Canadian citizen during those entries?

I have checkted that we don't have to move permanently at the time of landing and can return to sort out my affairs, so my question is whether theoretically I can do the landing alone?

I'm aware of the declaration we've signed and we fully intend to live in Canada as soon as we can. My husband has travelled to Canada on his british passport for the last few years, I just wanted to clarify whether he's involved in my landing process and if he is, if he needs to be on a canadian passport. Also whether the children also have to be there and on canadian passports at this time.

If anyone can clarify it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

V
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes, you theoretically can. But some officers at the port of entry may make some fuss about it. Kids don't have to be present at all. As for your husband coming to Canada on British passport - did he ever declared that he is a Canadian citizen during those entries?

Thanks for the advice.

I don't know whether he declared he was a Canadian citizen on previous trips. It seems he'd better get a new passport to be on the safe side, would you agree?

Just to clarify, we don't need any proof of funds at landing do we?

Thanks for your help

V
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:43 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice.

I don't know whether he declared he was a Canadian citizen on previous trips. It seems he'd better get a new passport to be on the safe side, would you agree?

Just to clarify, we don't need any proof of funds at landing do we?

Thanks for your help

V
will be landing in june as a sponsored spouse

correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is you require funds for a family of one ie $10,000ish CAD
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
will be landing in june as a sponsored spouse

correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is you require funds for a family of one ie $10,000ish CAD
I just did a search and found this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...spouse+landing

Can someone please confirm that I definately don't need to arrive with proof of funds then.

Sorry everyone if I'm asking too many questions, this whole thing is starting to stress me out (can you tell.... )

Thanks as ever for your advice, it really is appreciated

V
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

As a sponsored spouse of a Canadian citizen you are NOT required to proof of funds.

I just did a search and found this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...spouse+landing

Can someone please confirm that I definately don't need to arrive with proof of funds then.

Sorry everyone if I'm asking too many questions, this whole thing is starting to stress me out (can you tell.... )

Thanks as ever for your advice, it really is appreciated

V
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vietcan
As a sponsored spouse of a Canadian citizen you are NOT required to proof of funds.
Thank you !

V