Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 months on.... (Gold Coast)

5 months on.... (Gold Coast)

Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default 5 months on.... (Gold Coast)

Hello everyone,

It seems that I lost track of all the new members on this forum since I got here... but I know how much we appreciate the updates when still sitting in dark, cold Europe (or wherever you are) so here you go...

I arrived on the Gold Coast in September on PR. I stayed with my friend for the first 2 weeks (i was familiar to the GC since I had studied here a few years back) and then found a room to rent in the same building. I was paying $ 140 per week in Main Beach (classy area very central 100 m from the beach) for a large unfurnished bedroom with ensuite, in a Melrose-place like complex. That included electricity and underground car park.

It took me 3 weeks to find a job ( i had already researched the possibilities) and found my position of Research Analyst with Gold Coast Tourism through my former university teachers. The job was not advertised in the paper. I started mid october and have now been with them for about 4 months. Job is great, very interesting, nothing to say about that.

I also organised private insurance (if you make over $50'000 per year you may as well get it (hospital + extras) otherwise you have to pay an extra 1% of your salary in tax.) There is a great site www.iselect.com.au which helps you find a policy suited to your needs. what i did was find the info on iselect and then contact the insurance directly.

I sorted Medicare, Drivers licence and all that in the first 3 weeks. Nothing to worry about.

I also bought a car, a Honda Jazz, automatic (Gold Coast is flat and has heaps of lights that always seem to turn red when I approach them). The car was new when I bought it. Part of the deal was asking for a free rental car when i get it serviced (good idea heh?)...

Pretty much straight away, I started looking for a house. Picking the area wasnt much an effort since I now the GC pretty well and I visited may places. I settled mid Dec for a 2/bedroom terrace-like townhouse 1 street off the water in Biggera Waters. I moved last weekend.

I had also sent my container from Switzerland and organsised the routing until port of Brisbane only. It was very easy to organise everything to get it delivered from this side. I put my stuff in storage for about 3 months. And organsied for movers to come last Sat. It cost me 176 dollars for 3 men for 2 hours. I can only recommend them and they were very very cautious with everything.

So after 5 months i am pretty damn settled. My situation might be a little different than most of yours since I had already spent many years here. I am not homesick at all, and I am looking forward to my parents arriving in 10 days to stay for 3 months.

What I love here is just the pace of life, i feel really as one with myself, no stress, relaxing weather. but i HATE air conditionning and I am not having it put in my house. I have to wear a thick fleece at work everyday, everyone thinks i am nuts but it is so cold in the office.

I havent experienced any major drama, but have to say that finding builders / workmen/ painters / cabinet makers can be a difficult task. I just asked around, every single person I know must have been asked actually. I was really lucky and got some great recommendations.

Almost done with the house, just need decorating! I am a bit sceptical to make holes in these walls here. They all seem to be cardboard and nothing holds! i guess its my swiss screws that must not be the proper one. I am sure that a trip to Bunnings over the weekend is going to solve that problem! (Bunnings is the best hardware store ever. it sells everything. my wallet hates it. but they do gift vouchers so if i may suggest your next xmas / birthday / house warming present) just mention Bunnings gift cards, you will need it!

Well, I could rattle on for hours on my life here. If you have any questions, want any advice or anything PM me I will be glad to help!!!

fabie
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 months on.... (Gold Coast)

Great post - it looks like you are well settled.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:52 am

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post, interesting read
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hello everyone,

I
I also bought a car, a Honda Jazz, automatic (Gold Coast is flat and has heaps of lights that always seem to turn red when I approach them). The car was new when I bought it. Part of the deal was asking for a free rental car when i get it serviced (good idea heh?)...
Hi Fabie. Glad things are going so well. Whereabouts are your parents staying? Have to say I disagree with the flat bit. Down the bottom end, where we are, we have the fun of our ears going pop everytime we nip down to the shops
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:50 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fabie

Things seem to have gone very smoothly for you. We arrived at a similar time to you and all is good here though a job for dh would be the icing on the cake. Kids are settled in school and I am.....enjoying the weather!

Have fun with your parents.

Binbird
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:35 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

hey fabie, great post.

i always like the posts when folk have moved over there, good or bad, as it gives a better insight into things.

hope your parents have a fab time.

btw, hubbie is a painter (a very good one i might add ). perhaps he can help you out. although there is a wee problem - we are still in the uk DOH!!!

nice to hear that people struggle to find painters out there (but not if you are the one struggling , eh?)

happy days on the GC for you!!
xx
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are settled I take my hat off to you.All the best.Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi Fabie,

I remember you posting in the past, and can't believe you have been on the GC for 5 months now! Really glad you have such good things to say as we are heading out there in less than 6 weeks. Great post.

Debbie
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The little duck is still feeling at home in it's new pond.

Good to hear from you Fabie
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you've been there already 5 months!!! Wow, doesn't time fly.

Great you've got everything sorted. It all sounds lovely.

Gina
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hi fabie, its lovely to hear from you and thanks for the informative excellnt thread!

so glad you're settled and everything going well for you,

dont be a stranger
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:32 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear everything is going well.
Long may it continue for you.
Julie. x
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hello everyone,

It seems that I lost track of all the new members on this forum since I got here... but I know how much we appreciate the updates when still sitting in dark, cold Europe (or wherever you are) so here you go...

I arrived on the Gold Coast in September on PR. I stayed with my friend for the first 2 weeks (i was familiar to the GC since I had studied here a few years back) and then found a room to rent in the same building. I was paying $ 140 per week in Main Beach (classy area very central 100 m from the beach) for a large unfurnished bedroom with ensuite, in a Melrose-place like complex. That included electricity and underground car park.

It took me 3 weeks to find a job ( i had already researched the possibilities) and found my position of Research Analyst with Gold Coast Tourism through my former university teachers. The job was not advertised in the paper. I started mid october and have now been with them for about 4 months. Job is great, very interesting, nothing to say about that.

I also organised private insurance (if you make over $50'000 per year you may as well get it (hospital + extras) otherwise you have to pay an extra 1% of your salary in tax.) There is a great site www.iselect.com.au which helps you find a policy suited to your needs. what i did was find the info on iselect and then contact the insurance directly.

I sorted Medicare, Drivers licence and all that in the first 3 weeks. Nothing to worry about.

Pretty much straight away, I started looking for a house. Picking the area wasnt much an effort since I now the GC pretty well and I visited may places. I settled mid Dec for a 2/bedroom terrace-like townhouse 1 street off the water in Biggera Waters. I moved last weekend.

I had also sent my container from Switzerland and organsised the routing until port of Brisbane only. It was very easy to organise everything to get it delivered from this side. I put my stuff in storage for about 3 months. And organsied for movers to come last Sat. It cost me 176 dollars for 3 men for 2 hours. I can only recommend them and they were very very cautious with everything.

So after 5 months i am pretty damn settled. My situation might be a little different than most of yours since I had already spent many years here. I am not homesick at all, and I am looking forward to my parents arriving in 10 days to stay for 3 months.

What I love here is just the pace of life, i feel really as one with myself, no stress, relaxing weather. but i HATE air conditionning and I am not having it put in my house. I have to wear a thick fleece at work everyday, everyone thinks i am nuts but it is so cold in the office.

I havent experienced any major drama, but have to say that finding builders / workmen/ painters / cabinet makers can be a difficult task. I just asked around, every single person I know must have been asked actually. I was really lucky and got some great recommendations.

Almost done with the house, just need decorating! I am a bit sceptical to make holes in these walls here. They all seem to be cardboard and nothing holds! i guess its my swiss screws that must not be the proper one. I am sure that a trip to Bunnings over the weekend is going to solve that problem! (Bunnings is the best hardware store ever. it sells everything. my wallet hates it. but they do gift vouchers so if i may suggest your next xmas / birthday / house warming present) just mention Bunnings gift cards, you will need it!

Well, I could rattle on for hours on my life here. If you have any questions, want any advice or anything PM me I will be glad to help!!!

fabie
Fabie,

fantastic post, as you say, it is so nice for us on the "other" side to hear views from people who have been there a while.

Cheers

Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:26 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for keeping us posted. I can;t believe it's been five months!

All the best

Ginny
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:35 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Fabie. Now we know why you've been so quiet for so long. Phew!!

Have to agree with you on the aircon. We don't have it in our rental and I'm happy not to have it. The heat doesn't bother me much now, except when we've had a couple of days at 35+. A couple of fans and a sea-breeze do the trick for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.