Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:45 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

Ok, some of this has been discussed before but my situation is slightly different (old age).

My father-in-law lives in the UK and is 83. All the UK travel insurance for multi-trip or long stay ends at about 80. Even Tesco, we've tried most. He was getting great deals from Lloyds bank as he was a gold member but that all stopped when he turned 81.

Currently, he's coming for 6 weeks and it's costing a fortune through Lloyds bank who only cover you on a daily rate.

Anyone had success with a parent over 82 and getting cheaper health insurance.

Maybe this is just what it is. HIGH COST from now on !!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

High cost it'll have to be, because if anything goes wrong, medical over here is well pricey....your lucky your getting any insurance at all to be honest....
but you tried shopping around online?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:00 pm

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. Yes we live in the USA and it's costing me and my family (wife and 2 kids) $6000 a year with a $2000 a year deductible EACH. Typically with allergies and Asthma meds and all that over $10k each year.

My mother--in-law had a stroke here one year (she has since passed away) and that cost over $30k for a week in hospital. Her UK Travel insurance was a god send. On the 2nd day they wanted to fly her back to the UK on her own medical plane. On the 4th day when she was a lot better, they wanted to send her home 1st class full fare. On the 7th day when she left hospital, they flew her home economy. The insurance companies just want them out of the USA at any cost because that's when their liability stops. That's why relatively to US costs, UK insurance is cheap - except for 83 year olds !!

Yeah, I've tried shopping around but wondered if anyone else had found someone will to do an annual year round multi-trip ins. for 83 year olds.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

When we first moved over here, my Dad wouldn't get medical insurance to come and visit us - said it was too pricey. Anyway, he got bronchitis, insisted on being taken to the local Emergicare walk-in office to get some antibiotics. They took one look at his health history questionaire (4 strokes, 3 heart attacks, triple heart bypass), were convinced he was having another heart problem and called the ambulance.....one night in the Cardiac Unit at the local hospital and he was landed with a bill of around $5,000 (I think it was more actually). They discharged him the next day with antibiotics for bronchitis... My Dad had told them that he hadn't any medical insurance, but they said 'Not to worry about that now' - they meant that his life was more important, but Dad took it to mean that they wouldn't charge him...

My Dad (being 'my dad') called the British Embassy, convinced that the NHS would cover him - they, of course, couldn't help (it was his own fault after all). Of course, the bill came to our house, after he had gone back to England and we had all sorts of problems because he had given the address where he was staying (our address) and the hospital's computer would not accept a British address, so we kept getting threatening letters because Dad hadn't paid the bill and their computer system was convinced that he lived at our address. We even got a letter saying the bailiffs would be coming to take property to the value of the bill, which really upset me - luckily we managed to get that one sorted out. This was over 4 years ago and I think the bill was finally paid by a rich friend of my Dad's who lives in the USA and who he had visited while on the trip to see us. We are still getting letters that state that he now has a 'bad credit report' though LOL! I eventually got so sick of receiving this junk, and trying to explain to various people that he did NOT live at this address, and still receiving mail even after I had given them his correct address in England, that now I just mark all mail addressed to him that I receive "Not known at this address, return to sender" and put it straight back in the mail box.

Now we double check that ALL visitors have medical insurance before we even let them set foot off the plane....

I would shop around - try Boots the Chemist, I think they do travel insurance because they insured my Mum when she came over a couple of years ago (Dad doesn't visit anymore, he doesn't like America....). However expensive it seems, it's always worth it!

Paint.

Last edited by Paint; Feb 11th 2005 at 6:18 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest just you go and visit them instead of having someone of that age have to travel on such a long flight. This happened to my grandparents where they got too old for that kind of travel. My nan once came here and became faint on the plane and had to be taken to hospital right away after landing they had travel insurance luckily. A hospital once charged me $4.50 for 2 tylenol. I am unsure what a piece of cotton wool costs these days.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Saga and Help the Aged

I doubt if you will get an annual policy however and anyway most will have trip maximums too low.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

pcave is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

[My mum is 80 this year and lives in Spain. We failed to find cover for her with either a UK or Spainsh insurance company because of a) her age and b) living outside the UK.

I then searched again and on the internet I found cover for her with Inbound USA. Try www.buyaremicaninsurance.com/sri/inboundusa.jsp. The cover for 80 plus is around 122 dollars a month.

I hope this helps.
P Cave.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

My 87 year old mother in law uses the Post Office Insurance, great coverage and very quick to re emburse when she had to visit a hospital while visiting us.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Travel Insurance for Parent aged 83

Originally Posted by cabritpop
I would suggest just you go and visit them instead of having someone of that age have to travel on such a long flight. This happened to my grandparents where they got too old for that kind of travel. My nan once came here and became faint on the plane and had to be taken to hospital right away after landing they had travel insurance luckily. A hospital once charged me $4.50 for 2 tylenol. I am unsure what a piece of cotton wool costs these days.
That was my initial thought too....but perhaps the O/P only gets a week or two for annual leave.

My English neighbour on our condo in Singapore had her dad over for a visit and he was in his 70s. It's a long flight (almost 14 hours non-stop) and as soon as he stood up he collapsed and was rushed to hospital. He had DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which is not uncommon in people who have been immobile for a few hours on long journeys...a young Aussie woman in her 20s died after arriving at Heathrow on a Singapore Airlines flight and I understand that some of the airlines with long-haul routes are now facing a class action lawsuit because they didn't 'warn' passengers about DVT. (Now you notice everyone wandering around on flights as they're scared of getting it).

Perhaps the O/P could try and upgrade the flight ticket to 'mid-class'/world traveller plus so at least their aged parent could travel in more comfort?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:06 pm

Scary DVT. My mother-in-law had her first ever stroke the day after she landed in the USA.

5 years later, my Mum flew to Portugal and when she got home, was rushed to hospital with DVT symptoms. It's scary. I use my airmiles and cash to upgrade my father-in-law to club class. Life's too short to not do that now we've seen it twice in a short time.

Thanks for all the input...