Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on how to handle this please!

Advice on how to handle this please!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on how to handle this please!

no C.A.B knocking around in the states then?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Yup, but it's called S&W!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yup, but it's called S&W!
s&w? smith and wesson? bit harsh ain't it...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Ellie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud ofEllie203 has much to be proud of

I doubt the State police will run a VIN for you without a written request, however, they may if they suspect the vehicle is stolen. Failing that, I'd try carfax, as previously suggested; you can run the VIN and obtain the info you need from there.
Sorry to hear of your problem. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:56 pm
Sarah's Hubby

jjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to all
Red face Re: Advice on how to handle this please!

Originally Posted by Tami2
Hi Jay,
I think I may have been in contact with your wife a couple of months ago. I live in State College, too, with my kids. The eldest goes to Penn State. I've had a little contact with the local police and I have to say they've always been extremely nice and helpful. I think, if it was me, I'd go straight to them and get their opinion about how to handle it. They may even be able to send an officer from the town the guy lives in to give him a talking to. Good Luck, Tami
Hi Tami. Yeah, Sarah has been in contact with you before. Thanks for the advice. I'll introduce myself to everybody as they probably know my Mrs. I'm Mr. SarahUK. Thats her in my avatar, isn't she a fox? She says I should say hello to everyone and thanks for all the advice. Please keep it coming. Its much appreciated!

Jay
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:45 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
.....If the car is stolen the police will take the car from you and return it to the person it was stolen from, but you're will most likely go to jail.

If he pleads 'civil compromise' that is he agrees to make everyone whole (you get your money back) the prosecutor might let the guy of the criminal prosecution in exchange.
How do you figure this exactly? Are you missing a word here?
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:35 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjw152
Hi Tami. Yeah, Sarah has been in contact with you before. Thanks for the advice. I'll introduce myself to everybody as they probably know my Mrs. I'm Mr. SarahUK. Thats her in my avatar, isn't she a fox? She says I should say hello to everyone and thanks for all the advice. Please keep it coming. Its much appreciated!

Jay

Nice try mister, but you're still not getting a shag this evening.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:16 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
How do you figure this exactly? Are you missing a word here?
Of course it's a typo! I'll go back and correct it.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:19 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Of course it's a typo! I'll go back and correct it.
Post has been up too long to allow editing. For the record Mr Sarah UK is NOT going to jail. The seller is likely to go to jail.

Thank you and goodnight.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:02 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
Most local County Bar Associations (that's lawyers not boozers ) will have a legal referral service for inexpensive or free legal advice.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:08 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by jjw152
Hi
I'd really like some advice as to what to do about this situation.
Last July my wife and I bought a car from a car sales business near where we were living at the time in PA. We got the temporary registration paper that goes on the back of your car (the 90 day one) and drove off happy with our new purchase. However 90 days later the dealer still hadn't filed the correct paperwork to the Department of Transport and we didn't have a title or registration. We called the guy numerous times, he kept telling us there was nothing to worry about that the paperwork had gotten mixed up and he would give us another temporary registration. We were rather annoyed at the guy for being so ineffiecient but went over and got another temp registration. Since then we have been calling the guy to ask him how the paperwork is going. Getting hold of him has become nearly impossible, the phone just answers with a fax machine noise, his cell phone is constantly switched off with no answer machine activated and on the times when someone has picked up the phone its been this elderly guy who works doing oil changes all day every day and he is about 90 years old and hard of hearing and just shouts "Theres no-one here!"
We've arranged to meet with the guy before now, for example at 2pm and at 3pm we're still sitting in the car park waiting for him to turn up.
Just after Christmas we moved about 3 1/2 hours drive away as I'm going back to college so unfortunately its difficult for me to drive up there and stake the place out until I see the guy.
Our second temporary registration runs out tomorrow. A week ago we sent him an angry letter asking him to get the situation sorted, but still no word.
I called the Department of Transport yesterday to see if any paperwork had been filed or was in processing but was told no, it wasn't, no record of our car was in their system at all.
What can I do? I'm a full-time student and my wife is the UKC and has just gotten her EAD so doesn't have a job yet, we're struggling to find rent money let alone money for a lawyer. Anyone else been in this situation?
Any advice at all would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Jay.
This is NOT legal advice; I am not an expert on vehicle transaction law. The only advice I can give is talk to a lawyer in your state. Your local bar association should be able to refer you to one or more lawyers; you might also consider contacting local law schools to see if they run free legal clinics in commercial/UCC law. You might also talk to the local police force and maybe even have a chat with your local FBI office.

That said, the legal issues are probably: did you acquire good title in good faith for value without notice?

Given the fact pattern presented by the OP, the relevant areas of the law include UCC (Uniform Commercial Code, which from memory is incorporated into state law in just about every state except Louisiana where the state legal system is based, at least partly, on French law), and Commercial Paper Law (CPL) because CPL incorporates “in good faith, for value, without notice� legal doctrine.

Thus, the question of vehicle ownership post is fact dependent. If the purchased vehicle was stolen and then sold on to you, the ownership issue would probably be determined by a civil court (if it went that far) based on whether you acquired title in good faith, i.e., did you pay value, without notice (that the vehicle was stolen, i.e., would a reasonable person exposed to the same fact pattern conclude that the vehicle was genuinely on sale), etc. But there might be criminal legal issues here (re: the seller or agent "selling" the vehicle), so talk to a lawyer to find out what steps you should take to ensure you sound and act like a decent honest citizen that you are.

Right now, you need to talk to a lawyer in your state to ascertain if you have good title since it seems (but I might be wrong) that you don't have sufficient paperwork to satisfy the DMV as to proper transfer of Title. (The appropriate part of the Title and Registration document should have been filed in and signed (i.e., executed) by the original seller of the vehicle.)

Last edited by Franklin; Feb 6th 2005 at 11:01 pm.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nearest thing to my knowledge is the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but they suck! Don't really help the consumer. Only provides information/reports. If you ask them for direct assistance, they usually refer you to someone else. At least that's my experience...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:54 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Nearest thing to my knowledge is the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but they suck! Don't really help the consumer. Only provides information/reports. If you ask them for direct assistance, they usually refer you to someone else. At least that's my experience...

NC Penguin

Penguin - Is there a US equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau? I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but after reading your and the other posts I'm not going to sit back and wiat for them to do anything. I called Penn state Department of Transport this morning who said that unless the guy had gone out of business there is nothing they can do and that we need to go back to the dealership to see the guy. However, our 2nd temp registration ran out on Saturday so it is now illegal to drive the car so if we did go driving back up to the dealership, which is 3 1/2 hours away we'd be shitting ourselves all the way over getting stopped. Also, we have gone to stake out his dealership before when we lived nearer but have literally sat in the car park for hours and he's not shown up. I called this cowboy this morning again too but the phone, as usual, just picks up with a fax machine noise.
I'm starting to tear my hair out! Anyone know of any gangstas in N.E. PA who'd do a Sapranos on this meathead for me?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Penguin - Is there a US equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau?
that's what I asked, C.A.B....and it doesn't appear so...the last couple responses are the best you'll get I'm afraid.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:15 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Penguin - Is there a US equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau?
You're staring at it! This is about as close to a non-Citizens Advice Bureau as you're going to get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.