Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private schools in Sydney North Shore

Private schools in Sydney North Shore

Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future
Default Private schools in Sydney North Shore

Hi Fastfunker's wife here.

This seems to be an ongoing current theme....

I have a son who is currently in year one at private school in England and doing very well with reading and maths. He will be six in April. I want to know if the state schools in Sydney will be at the same level for his age or will private be a better option for him so that he does not get bored or go backwards. I hear the state primary schools around Gordon and Pymble are good but are they as good as private levels here in England bearing in mind he shall be starting Year one already again in February?
We are arriving on a 457 visa so will have to pay for state schools anyway.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Sarah
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private schools in Sydney North Shore

This can only be an opinion as I really haven't had a lot to do with lots of Primary schools. I had been told the same that Gordon Pymble and St Ives area in fact lots of this region, Wahroonga etc etc have all got good primary schools. The majority of people I know send the children to primary school or the local catholic primary in the region and then when going to high school move them into the private system. Much cheaper when you consider the privates in this area (not the catholic privates) are around 12-18K per annum per child with extras on top.

A 457 might mean you have slightly more difficulty choosing a state primary as they may work on the area you are residing and not be so flexible. My daughter primary also did not let her start school until the 457 fee was paid, which took a while from the education dept as they only took certain forms of payment and getting a dollar cheque was proving difficult as we had only opened the account and had no bloody cheque book! Check out the dept forms and things early on or check the school you are looking at understands the procedure.

I would suggest you check out the website of all the schools in the area and email for prospectus from the privates and see what information you can get from the primarys. I am not convinced paying for education necessarily means a better education overall. But I will admit the top top state schools are in a wealthy areas, possibly more to do with the drive and support the children get from the parents (that is an observation not a generalism about all parents please).

One of the top boys school primary division is Sydney Boys which prep department is in St Ives have a look at them and what they have to say. One other choice a lot of parents make - including myself, Is getting extra tuition for children outside of school in order to keep interest up or provide extra support eg languages maths if they feel the child wants or needs it.

You child is still pretty young but look for the primaries in the area which offer opportunity classes or GAT - these mean they will be streamed and have more chance of getting a selective grammar school place later on - but only if you are PR not 457. These will be academic primary schools and lots of the parents vie to get their children places in these classes - they have to sit tests so it can be a little onerous on the child if it is not their thing.

anyway I will state again this is just my understanding of the area. Best of luck and email me if I can be of any further help.

Cheers
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sandra
This can only be an opinion as I really haven't had a lot to do with lots of Primary schools. I had been told the same that Gordon Pymble and St Ives area in fact lots of this region, Wahroonga etc etc have all got good primary schools. The majority of people I know send the children to primary school or the local catholic primary in the region and then when going to high school move them into the private system. Much cheaper when you consider the privates in this area (not the catholic privates) are around 12-18K per annum per child with extras on top.

A 457 might mean you have slightly more difficulty choosing a state primary as they may work on the area you are residing and not be so flexible. My daughter primary also did not let her start school until the 457 fee was paid, which took a while from the education dept as they only took certain forms of payment and getting a dollar cheque was proving difficult as we had only opened the account and had no bloody cheque book! Check out the dept forms and things early on or check the school you are looking at understands the procedure.

I would suggest you check out the website of all the schools in the area and email for prospectus from the privates and see what information you can get from the primarys. I am not convinced paying for education necessarily means a better education overall. But I will admit the top top state schools are in a wealthy areas, possibly more to do with the drive and support the children get from the parents (that is an observation not a generalism about all parents please).

One of the top boys school primary division is Sydney Boys which prep department is in St Ives have a look at them and what they have to say. One other choice a lot of parents make - including myself, Is getting extra tuition for children outside of school in order to keep interest up or provide extra support eg languages maths if they feel the child wants or needs it.

You child is still pretty young but look for the primaries in the area which offer opportunity classes or GAT - these mean they will be streamed and have more chance of getting a selective grammar school place later on - but only if you are PR not 457. These will be academic primary schools and lots of the parents vie to get their children places in these classes - they have to sit tests so it can be a little onerous on the child if it is not their thing.

anyway I will state again this is just my understanding of the area. Best of luck and email me if I can be of any further help.

Cheers
Thanks Sandra, useful info. It would seem that there are a limited number of private primaries in the area. The ones we have identified within sensible driving distance are St Luke's grammar, Sydney Grammar, Newington Prep, Oxford Falls Grammar, and Northern Beaches Christian School. None are exactly "round the corner" if we end up in the Pymble area, but my husband needs to be near a train station in order to commute to the CBD, so this is the problem. Have you heard anything about these?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
Thanks Sandra, useful info. It would seem that there are a limited number of private primaries in the area. The ones we have identified within sensible driving distance are St Luke's grammar, Sydney Grammar, Newington Prep, Oxford Falls Grammar, and Northern Beaches Christian School. None are exactly "round the corner" if we end up in the Pymble area, but my husband needs to be near a train station in order to commute to the CBD, so this is the problem. Have you heard anything about these?
Sorry I was just cehcking my earlier mail and realised I put Sydney Boys - I meant Sydney Grammar

http://www.sydgram.nsw.edu.au/stives/index.html

Prep dept St Ives - have only heard good things - but these all come at a price, this is one of the most expensive for a prep. Fees are on the web site.

I live in St Ives, walking distance to this prep and it does look smashing! St Ives also has a direct bus link to the CBD, has a route round picking people up and then goes express into the city - check out Forest Buses (I will have a look as well) there is also a limited bus link to Gordon Station, I know I use it as I work in Chatswood. Though I tend to drive to the station park (free) as it is easier. Does mean leaving a car around for the day.

Two other Primaries I heard very very good things about are St Ives North and Gordon East. I have not heard good or bad about the other schools you mentioned, sorry.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
Driving distance? By year six possibly? Most older established private schools clustered around the railway lines initially so think closely about public transport issues not just when they start but later on when they are more independent.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
Sorry I was just cehcking my earlier mail and realised I put Sydney Boys - I meant Sydney Grammar

http://www.sydgram.nsw.edu.au/stives/index.html

Prep dept St Ives - have only heard good things - but these all come at a price, this is one of the most expensive for a prep. Fees are on the web site.

I live in St Ives, walking distance to this prep and it does look smashing! St Ives also has a direct bus link to the CBD, has a route round picking people up and then goes express into the city - check out Forest Buses (I will have a look as well) there is also a limited bus link to Gordon Station, I know I use it as I work in Chatswood. Though I tend to drive to the station park (free) as it is easier. Does mean leaving a car around for the day.

Two other Primaries I heard very very good things about are St Ives North and Gordon East. I have not heard good or bad about the other schools you mentioned, sorry.

Cheers Sandra
Thanks for the information. We were looking at Gordon East as an option and have found another prep school "Oxford Falls"? Not sure if this is any good seems quite reasonable about same fees as the state charge. The balance I need to find is a school that suits but also doesn't mean driving all day. The state option seems to fit the location but not sure if my son will be bored!
Cheers Sarah