Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens after approval?

What happens after approval?

Old May 18th 2004, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happens after approval?

Hi,

I've enjoyed reading these forums whilst we have been going through the process of emigration to Oz. However, I've only seen passing references to what happens once you get the yellow envelope.

We are at that stage now, we have sent off our police and medical checks about 3 weeks ago, and are expecting the approvals (hopefully ) any day now.

What is required after you get the approval? I think someone mentioned about having to go to an Oz embassy to get a chop on your passport. Is that right? Where abouts are these embassies. I'm working/living between Glasgow/Belfast, but I've heard you need to go to London.

Theres no problem with going to Oz before the 1 year after approval, we intend to go August, any info much appreciated,

JTL
Old May 18th 2004, 1:36 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happens after approval?

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Hi,

I've enjoyed reading these forums whilst we have been going through the process of emigration to Oz. However, I've only seen passing references to what happens once you get the yellow envelope.

We are at that stage now, we have sent off our police and medical checks about 3 weeks ago, and are expecting the approvals (hopefully ) any day now.

What is required after you get the approval? I think someone mentioned about having to go to an Oz embassy to get a chop on your passport. Is that right? Where abouts are these embassies. I'm working/living between Glasgow/Belfast, but I've heard you need to go to London.

Theres no problem with going to Oz before the 1 year after approval, we intend to go August, any info much appreciated,

JTL

What sort of visa did you apply for? I guess the short answer would be that you'd go into action phase; i.e wind up your affairs, say goodbye to people, get drunk, have celebratory sex, all that good stuff!
Old May 18th 2004, 2:15 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

What is required after you get the approval? I think someone mentioned about having to go to an Oz embassy to get a chop on your passport. Is that right? Where abouts are these embassies.
You can send it by registered post. Costs you (especially as you're paying for there-and-back) but it's cheaper than travelling. Took a week or two I think.

Mark
Old May 18th 2004, 2:16 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ulujain
get drunk, have celebratory sex
Not necessarily in that order though!

Mark
Old May 18th 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

We received our go-ahead from Australia just a couple of weeks ago. We sent our passports through to the immigration agency who then sent them onto Australia House, but I should imagine you could do this bit yourself. Getting the visa put in the passport only took a couple of days
Old May 18th 2004, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Salli
We received our go-ahead from Australia just a couple of weeks ago. We sent our passports through to the immigration agency who then sent them onto Australia House, but I should imagine you could do this bit yourself. Getting the visa put in the passport only took a couple of days

How long did it take, from posting your passport to getting it back? We've got a tiny glitch, in that my wifes UK spouse visa runs out 7 days before we are due to leave for Oz (assuming we get approval), so her passport is going to be in big demand what with getting the spouse visa renewed (£250 just to stay here an extra 7 days ), and then getting the chop on the passports for emigration.

Thanks for your help,
JTL
Old May 18th 2004, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Ulujain
What sort of visa did you apply for? I guess the short answer would be that you'd go into action phase; i.e wind up your affairs, say goodbye to people, get drunk, have celebratory sex, all that good stuff!
We did the skilled immigration visa. No problems, went as smooth as could be imagined, coming up to 10 months since application. No agent, no problems, no delays,
Old May 18th 2004, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did it take, from posting your passport to getting it back? We've got a tiny glitch, in that my wifes UK spouse visa runs out 7 days before we are due to leave for Oz (assuming we get approval), so her passport is going to be in big demand what with getting the spouse visa renewed (£250 just to stay here an extra 7 days ), and then getting the chop on the passports for emigration.

Thanks for your help,
JTL

Literally only a couple of days...we posted the paperwork through to the immigration agents (recorded delivery, so they got it the next day) who then posted it to Oz House (again recorded delivery), then two days later we had a phone call from the Immigration agents to say they had the passports back and arranging delivery back to us...we had them in our hot little hands the very next day!
Old May 18th 2004, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Salli
Literally only a couple of days...we posted the paperwork through to the immigration agents (recorded delivery, so they got it the next day) who then posted it to Oz House (again recorded delivery), then two days later we had a phone call from the Immigration agents to say they had the passports back and arranging delivery back to us...we had them in our hot little hands the very next day!

Thanks for that.

How is this for spooky, I just got a call from my wife, we got the acceptance! I thought she was joking, cos our post normally arrives in the morning. But the postman turned up at 4pm with the yellow envelope,

Talk about coincidence....

Happy days

Thanks for all your help... so far...

probably going to have loads more questions now about Brisbane !!!

Cheers
JTL
Old May 18th 2004, 3:55 pm
Top Banana

Mad as cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

JacktheLAD, what's your timeline?
Old May 18th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Congrats

Send your passports to Australia House in London with a copy of the acceptance letter from DIMIA. Make sure you can track the parcel both ways so you know it is safe.

Once you got them back then the work starts to wind up your affairs, sell the house and go (EASY )

I would be a bit concerned with the passport expiry date though. Is it worth getting the passport renewed before the visa stickers go in?

Last edited by Billabong; May 18th 2004 at 4:02 pm.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Billabong
Congrats

Send your passports to Australia House in London with a copy of the acceptance letter from DIMIA. Make sure you can track the parcel both ways so you know it is safe.

Once you got them back then the work starts to wind up your affairs, sell the house and go (EASY )

I would be a bit concerned with the passport expiry date though. Is it worth getting the passport renewed before the visa stickers go in?

No, its a bit more complicated than that. My wife is Hong Kongese, her passport is not about to expire, but her spouse visa to stay in the UK is. So we have to renew the spouse visa (which costs 250 pounds) even though we are now leaving for Oz 7 days after. Grrrrr

Still good news today

We will send the passports as you suggest, it would be unthinkable to lose them in the next 2 months

Cheers
JTL
Old May 18th 2004, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Mad as cheese
JacktheLAD, what's your timeline?
Mad as Cheese,

I know there is somewhere on this website where you are supposed to fill in your timeline, but we only discovered this site about 2 months ago, and have been so busy reading the forums, I've never really checked out the timelines. So if its all the same, I'll just list the events here from memory:

Feb 2003, sent off docs to ACS
March 2003 Confirmation of docs recieved by ACS
June 2003 Approved for skilled immigration by ACS
10th July 2003 Sent of all documentation for immigration
17th July 2003 received confirmation of receipt of docs
5th March 2004 Asked for medical and police checks
1st May 2004 Send of all Medical and police records
18th May 2004 Accepted!

One thing I've learnt (too late! ) from this site, is we could have asked for the police and medical records before Oz asked for them, it could have shaved a month off the time.

Still I'm happy with the timescale in the end. 50 weeks sounds sooo long, but 17th July 2003 to 18th May 2004 doesn't sound so bad
Old May 18th 2004, 4:47 pm
Top Banana

Mad as cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Still I'm happy with the timescale in the end. 50 weeks sounds sooo long, but 17th July 2003 to 18th May 2004 doesn't sound so bad

Doesn't sound too bad to me either, there's a website for adding your timeline http://www.austimeline.com/index.jsp but it's probably not a worry to you now. Hopefully I'll get the grant soon although i think my wife was cat b for medicals and although it should be fine it may delay it a while, fingers crossed and good luck with your impending emigration.

Julian
Old May 18th 2004, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Billabong
Congrats

?
Any good ideas about locations in Brisbane?

I've only passed through there, spent 6 months (2 x 3 months) in Melbourne, both times winter (May-July), so I've seen it at its worst . It wasn't hard to decide Brisbane was a better location.

JTL