Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is 'The Barbie' a xenophobic forum

Is 'The Barbie' a xenophobic forum

Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 'The Barbie' a xenophobic forum

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I don't think much of an explanation is required as I've seen you yourself get frustrated by posts on here.

Pollyanna posted on another thread recently that users are leaving the forum because of the direction some threads go. It looked to me like she saw it as damaging for Britishexpats.com. I do too as too often it feels like arguing with 12 year olds.
What I think has happened is that some poster's general dislike of other posters has led them to sacrifice sensible debate in the quest to just wind up others...not xenophobia, just playground stuff.

We have people who clearly have nothing better to do than actively crawl the media in one country or another (but tellingly, rarely both) in search of bad news stories. I think often they're posted, not because they hate one country or another, but because they hate someone else who allegedly hates one country or another!

You see threads posted and think, ah...this is just designed to wind up xxx.
Then of course tit for tat ensues.

Some people who I'm sure consider themselves to be the very peak of BE's Illuminati are quite guilty of this...makes them look very silly sometimes!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:13 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Ebbs and flows .. ebbs and flows. Life moves on, people move on, situations change, countries change. Sometimes we have bad days/months/years and sometimes we have good ones. We are all entitled to a moan now and again and we are all entitled to blow our trumpets, and we are all entitled to enjoy and celebrate.

Just saying ....
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
What I think has happened is that some poster's general dislike of other posters has led them to sacrifice sensible debate in the quest to just wind up others...not xenophobia, just playground stuff.

We have people who clearly have nothing better to do than actively crawl the media in one country or another (but tellingly, rarely both) in search of bad news stories. I think often they're posted, not because they hate one country or another, but because they hate someone else who allegedly hates one country or another!

You see threads posted and think, ah...this is just designed to wind up xxx.
Then of course tit for tat ensues.

Some people who I'm sure consider themselves to be the very peak of BE's Illuminati are quite guilty of this...makes them look very silly sometimes!
That wouldn't happen would it?........surely not
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think much of an explanation is required as I've seen you yourself get frustrated by posts on here.

Pollyanna posted on another thread recently that users are leaving the forum because of the direction some threads go. It looked to me like she saw it as damaging for Britishexpats.com. I do too as too often it feels like arguing with 12 year olds.
Go back through her millions of posts, and mine come to that and you'll see we've said the same thing a few times over the last 10 years. As Poll and Sue have said, depending on how people are in their real lives determines how they post. It's not important. <wanders off to check Tiddler's birthday cake>
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:06 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is the fact that this is an off topic forum. It gives people a license to be anti english/australian when a thread might simply be about a trip to work or the price of goats cheese.

If it was strictly on topic and more banning for users who don't stick to the rules, then there would be far more sensible discussion.

Also, I've yet to go to a BBQ where there has been fighting.
Is it just the English and the Aussies then? Cos I've seen a fair amount of Jock and Paddy bashing meself.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Is it just the English and the Aussies then? Cos I've seen a fair amount of Jock and Paddy bashing meself.
pom=jock=paddy=same thing
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:33 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

And don't forget the frakking Taffs.

S
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

It's 'off topic' for sure, but is it also quite xenophobic?
I don't think so, besides, that is such a dirty word

...for starters, it's Greek
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Bull, the general gist is there are a bunch of lessons that Australia could urgently do with learning. Anyone who truly had "fear or hatred" of Australia would have left again in pretty short order.

This is not "my country, right or wrong"; its "could do better".
The forum is clearly pro Australian as you would expect, it is ridiculous to think otherwise.
Im certainly not xenophobic but Im not keen on the French.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:19 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I don't think so, besides, that is such a dirty word

...for starters, it's Greek
Christ almighty, don't want to be associated with them freaking Greek's.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
And don't forget the frakking Taffs.

S
They're totally like, a different breed again, innit.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly seems racist and xenophobic from where I and Rajj hail from in the UK.

When a racist or xenophobic comment is made it's not dealt with automatically by the mods.... In fact on occassion it's joined in with by certain mods..

Happens all the time, to the point where it's not worth complaining about.

Hey ho.... Some forums get it, some dont.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 14th 2013 at 6:23 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Certainly seems racist and xenophobic from where I and Rajj hail from in the UK.

When a racist or xenophobic comment is made it's not dealt with automatically by the mods.... In fact on occassion it's joined in with by certain mods..

Of course with it happening "all the time" you'll have no trouble posting a few links to these posts.
We [mods] don't read every post in every thread, as such if comments are made they may not even be noticed unless reported.
No good bashing your gums about something that you haven't reported..........
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:51 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Ebbs and flows .. ebbs and flows. Life moves on, people move on, situations change, countries change. Sometimes we have bad days/months/years and sometimes we have good ones. We are all entitled to a moan now and again and we are all entitled to blow our trumpets, and we are all entitled to enjoy and celebrate.

Just saying ....
That reminded me of the penguins in Madagascar - "just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

Oh and I have nothing useful to add to the discussion.... situation normal
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I agree.

There is one person in particular I can think of who gets to do it again and again and again...yes Cresta, the report function had been used. As Ozzie said, it's never made a difference...I can only assume stuff like that is acceptable on BE. Fair enough - you just move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.