Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals and weight do they???

Medicals and weight do they???

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:27 am
ad4ozz

Question Medicals and weight do they???

Are the Doctors strict on weight, know they give BMI of 40 as danger point but what happens in reality? Do they knock you back for lower weights or just when over BMI of 40? Haven't had ours yet and I'm just wondering if we need to get the hamster wheel out or just the slim fast instead of guinness .

Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Medicals and weight do they???

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Are the Doctors strict on weight, know they give BMI of 40 as danger point but what happens in reality? Do they knock you back for lower weights or just when over BMI of 40? Haven't had ours yet and I'm just wondering if we need to get the hamster wheel out or just the slim fast instead of guinness .
Not sure, my BMI was about 30 and I was okay, if that helps at all.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:59 am
Phoenixuk2oz

From memory BMI under 35 is OK. Over 35 is deemed obese and checked out further via tests for any anticipated future problems. Not sure how you stand if over 35 in terms of being knocked back. Would have thought it depends on what the test results determine, the severity of these and any long term costs associated with the outcome.

Good luck

Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the actual weight or the BMI which is the problem.

They have to assess the possible long term health consequences and may want further check ups to determine that.

On a serious note. If you have a BMI of of around 40 then you should be more worried about your health rather than whether or not you will pass the medical.

G

PS

ad4ozz if it is for you or one of your family that you are enquiring then , as a nurse, I think you will already know that.

Good luck
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:20 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted the DIMIA guidelines on another forum - I think gomatilda. ... but may be mistaken . anyway gist of it was...(quoting from memory - but if you 'google' for BMI Australian Medical ' im sure you'll find more)

<30 - ok
30-35 , check to make sure no signs of Diabetess II, Heart, Blood Pressure, etc.
35-40 was refer for Cat B - but ONLY because they want to be sure there are no Blood Pressure, Heart, or Diabetess etc issues...

Ie as Grayling said - its not he BMI itself, if you're 40 BMI and fit as a fiddle, no heart , blood presure, or diabetes, signs then a.ok.

Even with referral to a B these are unlikely to be 'fail' conditions, except chronic heart, or chronic BP but you'd know about those by now!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:42 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is not the actual weight or the BMI which is the problem.

They have to assess the possible long term health consequences and may want further check ups to determine that.

Good luck
Yes, as we have already discussed a while back on this board, BMI is a blunt instrument - if you calculate the England Rugby team's BMIs, they are all technically obese!

I was very worried about my meds - had BMI around 30 (overweight due to long-term medicinal steroid usage, plus years of running/weight training, have combined to make me a bit 'stocky'). However the doc took one look at my scrum half's legs & then decided she was more concerned about hubby being so thin!

I think on balance they would rather see an overweight, but fit, person than a slim sickly one.

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:28 pm
ad4ozz

Talking Re: Medicals and weight do they???

anya4oz...are we related, maybe my adopted twin?

Grayling...yep I know why and know the risks for him and have nagged him for years but it's up to him to loose it...but now it's the WILL HE PASS or not thats of concern as he can die of all the same things in Oz as England but with more sun surrounding him... . And, I can sit out in the garden when he's gone instead of the house (do apologise to anyone offended by the bluntness but as Grayling say's I am a nurse so practice the black arts of humor).

Think he will fall into catagory 'B' and he has nothing else that I know of except a touch of white coat syndrome that will probably add to the problems as normally his BP is fine unless you put a Doctor in the room... .

Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:11 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

... a touch of white coat syndrome that will probably add to the problems as normally his BP is fine unless you put a Doctor in the room... .
I thought it was just me. In fact, going to the doctors and driving are the 2 things which stress me out the most and I will have to do both (driving into Brum city centre too) when I get my medical. They will probably call for an ambulance after they take my blood pressure (they do take it I assume?).

Are there any tricks for lowering it? I used to work with a guy who flew to the US on a regular basis and the company nurse had to test him and give permission before every flight. He used to swear by having a very hot cup of tea then going for a 5 minute brisk walk to help bring it down a little before she tested him.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought it was just me. In fact, going to the doctors and driving are the 2 things which stress me out the most and I will have to do both (driving into Brum city centre too) when I get my medical. They will probably call for an ambulance after they take my blood pressure (they do take it I assume?).

Are there any tricks for lowering it? I used to work with a guy who flew to the US on a regular basis and the company nurse had to test him and give permission before every flight. He used to swear by having a very hot cup of tea then going for a 5 minute brisk walk to help bring it down a little before she tested him.
Surely someone can help answer this? It seems like half the people on here are nurses
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Worzel

Firstly 'White coat' hypertension is very common and doctors usually recognise it so should take your BP several times to see if it reduces.

Lowering BP is a long term task but a few things can make a vast difference quickly:

If you are not used to excercise then starting will have an effect. Try walking for an hour a day to start.

Then stopping Alcohol can have a rapid effect Sorry but you did ask.

Before the test arrive early and have a decent walk to calm down.

You can also condition your 'white coat' hypertension to reduce by using a monitor such as an Omron (Buy from Boots). Using this regularly will produce a fall in BP as you get used to it. They do cost around £100 and may not work though.

In the long term:

Reduce salt intake
Reduce alcohol
Excercise regularly
Lose weight
Don't smoke

Medication if you have a clinical problem but do not do this without having a 24 hour monitor first as medication can have side effects and is not always necessary.
Long term lifestyle changes are really the way first.

Good luck

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:49 am
A former regular of BE

Thanks.

I have been much better since the start of this year.
Salt - no longer add it to food and use (less (and sea salt) in cooking
Alcohol - Erm, next
Exercise - badminton weekly, and try and go to the gym and for a swim each week but I rarely manage both
Weight - lost about 10lbs this year
Smoking - never have done

I have even started eating bran flakes for breakfast (they taste like cardboard ) and cut down from 8 to 2 cups of cofee per day.

Its just that I thought we were aiming for meds late next year but the ICAA are turning skills assessments around in approx 4 weeks and accountancy is back on the MODL so I may be having meds at the start of next year! I don't want to have any issues with meds when I am really getting things sorted. Another half a stone off and I will be under 30 BMI. Does that mean they won't even bother taking my blood pressure? What else do they do apart from X-rays. A bit of a hernia is not an issue is it (suspect I have a bit of one and had it for many years caused by badminton)
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks.

I have been much better since the start of this year.
Salt - no longer add it to food and use (less (and sea salt) in cooking
Alcohol - Erm, next
Exercise - badminton weekly, and try and go to the gym and for a swim each week but I rarely manage both
Weight - lost about 10lbs this year
Smoking - never have done

I have even started eating bran flakes for breakfast (they taste like cardboard ) and cut down from 8 to 2 cups of cofee per day.

Its just that I thought we were aiming for meds late next year but the ICAA are turning skills assessments around in approx 4 weeks and accountancy is back on the MODL so I may be having meds at the start of next year! I don't want to have any issues with meds when I am really getting things sorted. Another half a stone off and I will be under 30 BMI. Does that mean they won't even bother taking my blood pressure? What else do they do apart from X-rays. A bit of a hernia is not an issue is it (suspect I have a bit of one and had it for many years caused by badminton)
Worzel

They will take your BP regardless of your BMI. It is one of the Key tests.

If it is high they should take it 3 times and if it remains high will refer you to a cardiologist for a report (which you will have to pay).

Anything over about 150/90 will be a problem.

I suggest you talk to your GP and see if you do need medication. Otherwise get your GP (or practice Nurse) to check it regularly and take a report with you. They may accept this OK.

Good luck

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:34 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Grayling
Worzel

They will take your BP regardless of your BMI. It is one of the Key tests.

If it is high they should take it 3 times and if it remains high will refer you to a cardiologist for a report (which you will have to pay).

Anything over about 150/90 will be a problem.

I suggest you talk to your GP and see if you do need medication. Otherwise get your GP (or practice Nurse) to check it regularly and take a report with you. They may accept this OK.

Good luck

G
I put all the booze in the drinks cabinet last night, locked it and gave the key to my wife to hide. How is that for commitment?! Mind you, we are telling both sets of parents, have 2 works Xmas parties and the Leeds meet all coming up in the next month, so there won't be any need to drink at home.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:49 am
ad4ozz

Now is that your real photo Grayling or was it the other one? Think this one suits you much better.... . Thanks for the advice but he already does the rest and BP stays down and we know for White Coat problem the best thing normally is to avoid Doctors but in this case can't be done can it... . Will carry on trying the calming voice with him.

Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Now is that your real photo Grayling or was it the other one? Think this one suits you much better.... . Thanks for the advice but he already does the rest and BP stays down and we know for White Coat problem the best thing normally is to avoid Doctors but in this case can't be done can it... . Will carry on trying the calming voice with him.
ad4ozz

My real photo is in the photopost gallery

Have you tried getting hold of a sphyg and trying to get your hubby to control his BP while you take it regulary?
It may be worth a try as it has been shown that BP will drop with repeared readings even in White coat hypertension.
Otherwise try getting Your GP or practice Nurse to take it regularly to see if this will desensitise him.

I have had this problem myself (as well as work as a CBT therapist).

I managed to pass my medical.
I simply took a graph of avberages from my GP and the examining doctor accepted that as my BP was high on the day.
My wifes was also and he simply asked her if she was nervous.
She passed OK as well and we are in our 50's.

It will depend on the doctor on the day.

Good luck

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.