Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

overweight for meds-experiences please

overweight for meds-experiences please

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:04 pm
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Post overweight for meds-experiences please

Does anyone have any experience with the weight issue at the medicals-Ive seen some brief mentions. As everything has happened so quickly with my decision to go to oz I won't have much time to loose sufficiant (3.5 stone over ideal weight). Have underactive thyroid not an excuse as being treated but weight has been stable for over a year . Actually eat very healthy veg salad, organic when can afford-try to avoid wheat products, high carbs (not Atkins as was on it 6 weeks and thyroid packed up-DR said coincidental not linked?) Problem is don't do much exercise, ok in summer but hate winter and hybernate indoors-one of the reasons for going to oz. Have lost weight b4, 4 stone and kept it off 3 years until after last baby (opps 8yrs old now) When I went for medical to do nurse training (1997) was told that I was more than 20% over my ideal weight, should have been 8.4-8.12lbs but was 10.4. Explained baby was only 7 months old and had only stopped breast feeding 2 weeks, so got away with it. Unfortunately all that sitting around in Uni, assignments, canteen food and shift work meant all my good habits went out of the window. That and my ever growing lack of willpower. If it is a big issue what do they recommend? Surely if I'm capable of doing job effectively now at the weight I am they should take that into consideration? Thanks in anticipation Scanny.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future
Red face Re: overweight for meds-experiences please

Good morning,
Surely they will take into account your thyroid as doesn't this slow your metabolism down?
If you're anywhere near birmingham - I could suggest a crazy doctor whom I'm sure wouldn't even notice - he spent most of my medical swearing!!! no joke - I've never seen anything like it.....
Hope you get on okay - let us know how you get on!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:26 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overweight for meds-experiences please

hi scanny
i wouldnt worry about it if i was you - unless you are seriously overweight ie morbidly obese, then it shouldnt affect it. I know what you mean about the post baby weight - im still abuot 3 stone over my ideal weight and i put it down to having had twins (but dont tell anyone it was 3 and a half years ago)
if its brought up at the medical, explain you are currently on a weight loss programme and leave it at that.
dotn panic....the worry will drop you a couple of pounds though.....

sue
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about a few kilos I just explained I was a little short for my weight but was planning on growing rather than dieting. As long as you can touch your toes you'll be O.K
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:37 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hi scanny
i wouldnt worry about it if i was you - unless you are seriously overweight ie morbidly obese, then it shouldnt affect it. I know what you mean about the post baby weight - im still abuot 3 stone over my ideal weight and i put it down to having had twins (but dont tell anyone it was 3 and a half years ago)
if its brought up at the medical, explain you are currently on a weight loss programme and leave it at that.
dotn panic....the worry will drop you a couple of pounds though.....

sue
Crikey I hope so, I'll have to get on with some exersise-got the videos, abswing, weights etc, just need the energy to unpack them!! Oz is the best motivation I've had for years-unfortunately the best way is to do it for yourself and no one else. If I remember rightly from previous weight loss its actually quite a buzz having that much control over your eating instead of the other way round-ooh I feel quite positive now -gonna really try. Tanks opps thanks Scanny.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:41 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by Kristine
Good morning,
Surely they will take into account your thyroid as doesn't this slow your metabolism down?
If you're anywhere near birmingham - I could suggest a crazy doctor whom I'm sure wouldn't even notice - he spent most of my medical swearing!!! no joke - I've never seen anything like it.....
Hope you get on okay - let us know how you get on!
Birminghams only about 100 miles or so from me so if I run all the way there I should have lost a pound or two eh! Seriously, I'd travel as far as it takes-maybe get in touch about this neare the time. Thank Scanny.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:44 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by cresta57
Don't worry too much about a few kilos I just explained I was a little short for my weight but was planning on growing rather than dieting. As long as you can touch your toes you'll be O.K
Toes, what toes!!! I used to say something simmilar as only 5'1 -what Ilack in height I make up for in width. Thanks Scanny.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:53 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi scanny.

We just did medicals with similar problem

According to DIMIA The Doc is suposed to go on body mass index (BMI ), BMI between 30-40 is 'high' and they'll look more keenly for type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart etc, things that can lead to ill health - but to be frank these have to be fairly bad for them to raise an eyebrow.

You can calculate your BMI on the web do a google for it there'll be loads of calculators or the formula itself.

If you're over 40 BMI then that again means they look even more closely .
None of these are a fail ! thats for sure!. If found this out from another thread which had a 2-3 paragraph explanation of it all - if you want search for Medicals and BMI or Body Mass Index on this forum and the immigration one.

So.. They're not really looking at your weight they're looking at what that causes to go wrong - blood pressure, heart problem, etc, and then only if these things are showing really badly then they'll ask for more info or tests.

And remember what might seem horrendous to you personally because its happening to you is something that a GP or Dr just sees about 1 zillion times a year and is 'routine' for them - routine=no problem. It seems that if you have something wrong, its being treated and controlled, youre a.ok. ... its normal wear & tear!.

We got Cat A on Medicals... so dont worry.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Don't worry. Both my husband and me were overweight when we had our medicals. So long as your blood pressure is OK they seem fine. My doctor (Salford) gave me three attempts to do blood pressure to try and relax and bring it down. I was pretty worked up. The doctor is on your side.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Just had my medicals done, I have a BMI of around 35 and my doctor didn't even bat an eyelid. Blood pressure was 127/80 so fine. I asked him at the end what catagory we'd be in and he said as long as my extra info was ok 'A'. The extra info was just discharge letter from the hospital as I only had my gall bladder out 4 weeks before and wanted clarification that it was routine. Which it was.

Cheers Jo
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 12:59 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by spalen
Hi scanny.

We just did medicals with similar problem

According to DIMIA The Doc is suposed to go on body mass index (BMI ), BMI between 30-40 is 'high' and they'll look more keenly for type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart etc, things that can lead to ill health - but to be frank these have to be fairly bad for them to raise an eyebrow.

You can calculate your BMI on the web do a google for it there'll be loads of calculators or the formula itself.

If you're over 40 BMI then that again means they look even more closely .
None of these are a fail ! thats for sure!. If found this out from another thread which had a 2-3 paragraph explanation of it all - if you want search for Medicals and BMI or Body Mass Index on this forum and the immigration one.

So.. They're not really looking at your weight they're looking at what that causes to go wrong - blood pressure, heart problem, etc, and then only if these things are showing really badly then they'll ask for more info or tests.

And remember what might seem horrendous to you personally because its happening to you is something that a GP or Dr just sees about 1 zillion times a year and is 'routine' for them - routine=no problem. It seems that if you have something wrong, its being treated and controlled, youre a.ok. ... its normal wear & tear!.

We got Cat A on Medicals... so dont worry.
Thanks for the advice. Put my mind at ease a bit. Will definately check it out. Scanny
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 1:00 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Don't worry. Both my husband and me were overweight when we had our medicals. So long as your blood pressure is OK they seem fine. My doctor (Salford) gave me three attempts to do blood pressure to try and relax and bring it down. I was pretty worked up. The doctor is on your side.
Sounds like a nice Doc. Glad all yours went o.k. Thanks Scanny.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 1:06 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by joho
Just had my medicals done, I have a BMI of around 35 and my doctor didn't even bat an eyelid. Blood pressure was 127/80 so fine. I asked him at the end what catagory we'd be in and he said as long as my extra info was ok 'A'. The extra info was just discharge letter from the hospital as I only had my gall bladder out 4 weeks before and wanted clarification that it was routine. Which it was.

Cheers Jo
Glad your o.k after your op cholycistis can be nasty and congrats at cat A. How much does a gallbladder weigh? would it be worth getting rid of mine!! Bit drastic! Thanks for the positive reply. Scanny.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, was hoping there were lead weights in there. Must admit though, was 1/2 stone lighter than thought

Cheers Jo
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:39 am
wombat42

We don't want any fat Sheila's immigrating to OZ, only the good looking ones need apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.