Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Victoria/'the island' peeps...

Victoria/'the island' peeps...

Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:46 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Victoria/'the island' peeps...

Hello <waving frantically>

Just wanted to say hi to any BE-ers living in Vic or wider VI. I think I have seen a couple of Nanaimo people wandering about the forum...

Me and husband have been in Victoria for a week (RV'd round BC/AB for a month when we first got here so haven't been able to post here either) so we don't know anyone except the real estate letting agent Living in James Bay at the moment which is pretty nice, though we haven't seen much of the rest of the island yet.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:48 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Victoria/'the island' peeps...

Hi SB, I am a bit further north on the island. Hope you find a lovely home and settle well
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:17 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Hello <waving frantically>

Just wanted to say hi to any BE-ers living in Vic or wider VI. I think I have seen a couple of Nanaimo people wandering about the forum...

Me and husband have been in Victoria for a week (RV'd round BC/AB for a month when we first got here so haven't been able to post here either) so we don't know anyone except the real estate letting agent Living in James Bay at the moment which is pretty nice, though we haven't seen much of the rest of the island yet.
Hi SkiBunny

I'm a 'wanderer' ............. maybe you can come to the next meet-up?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

maybe you can come to the next meet-up?

Any plans for a meet-up date yet ??

Adbru
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:01 pm
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adbru
maybe you can come to the next meet-up?

Any plans for a meet-up date yet ??

Adbru
As the old Martini advert said (gawd I'm showing my age!!) .................... anytime, anyplace, anywhere ........
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

H there, we live in Cobble Hill in the Cowichan Valley. It's about 40 minutes North of Victoria, over the Malahat. We love it, beautiful place, but then again the whole Island is a beautiful place. Are you on staying on the Island permanently now?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Welcome neighbour. We dont live that far away from James Bay.

Now get outside and enjoy the beautiful sunshine down by the ocean.....!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:45 am

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya all

Thanks for the welcomes. If there is a meetup then count me in!

Maddhobs - depends if we can find suitable jobs - more available in Vancouver but we prefer it over here so are on a mission & fingers crossed...

Willmore you are so right - we are making the most of this no job slacker business on a sunny day. Not sure where the nearest place to Victoria is with a nice beach, so any suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hiya all

Maddhobs - depends if we can find suitable jobs - more available in Vancouver but we prefer it over here so are on a mission & fingers crossed...

Willmore you are so right - we are making the most of this no job slacker business on a sunny day. Not sure where the nearest place to Victoria is with a nice beach, so any suggestions welcome.
Gonzales beach is absolutely beautiful and with the low tide, the tidalpools are fantastic. If you have young kids they will have a ball. Lots of families and young kids hang out there, and its dog free over the summer. Its really a "gem"...

As well, the beach below the cliffs at dallas road, it does tend to get crowded over the summer, but there are beach areas that are sort of private. However this is an "offlease" area all year, so if you dont like friendly dogs, you might not want to go there.

Check out a map about other beaches in the area, most are walkable from where you are and most important HAVE FUN!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:30 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya all

I'm from Victoria and lived in James Bay for about 10 years... great area... though a little loud.

As for beaches, I use to just go right down to Dallas Road. There are some nice big rocks to lay out on - they're curved like big lounge chairs and if you prefer sand there are a few sandy pockets here and there... especially just eastwards of the breakwater. Beware of pervs.

Close by, for more sandy, sandy beaches there is Willows Beach in Oak Bay:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=7 It's very 'beachy' - lots of sand and people. As is Island View beach - up the Pat Bay Highway. Personally they're not my preference but a lot of people seem to like them.

IMO, Esquimalt Lagoon is nice as is the beach at East Sooke Park near the 'farm'.

So long as you have a good comfy lounge chair, most anywhere along the ocean is fine. Again, beware of pervs.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:42 pm

Thanks Willmore & HWP - not sure about the pervs though

Met the harbour seals by Fishermans Wharf today - aw!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SkiBunny, good luck "with your mission". What kind of work are you looking for? Here are some links http://www.bcjobs.ca/ http://www.bcjobs.com/ http://workinfonet.bc.ca/ http://www.workfutures.bc.ca/ and of course good old Job Bank http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/search_...,%20Government Hope these are useful and hope you are able to stay on the Island!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

Re a date for a meetup....

Anyone fancy Sunday 29th July ??
(as no-one else has put a date forward )

Far enough ahead for making plans.....(and being selfish as that day suits us )

If thats ok how about suggestions for a location ??

As the last one (feb) was in Nanimo how about Victoria or somewhere in the south of the Island ??

If I'm out of line trying to make it fit our hols please feel free to give me a virtual slap

Adbru

(p.s. been listening to 100.3 TheQ over the net - am I sad or what !! weird hearing local news from halfway round the world )
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by maddhobs
Hi SkiBunny, good luck "with your mission". What kind of work are you looking for? Here are some links http://www.bcjobs.ca/ http://www.bcjobs.com/ http://workinfonet.bc.ca/ http://www.workfutures.bc.ca/ and of course good old Job Bank http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/search_...,%20Government Hope these are useful and hope you are able to stay on the Island!
Thanks v much Maddhobs I've got the 1st one but not the others so will check them after this.
I am (or was in the UK) a software test manager, though realise I may have to slide a rung down the ladder towards the shop floor to get started here. I'm looking for anything in software quality/project management/ implementation. Mr SB is business/communications manager in charity/health/govt. We'll do seasonal work if needs be but we are doing our best to find something professional first. I have the link for the technology park, but if you can think of any major employers in the south island its worth stalking then any advice/shoves in the right direction gratefully received...

Adbru, unsurprisingly we are not busy then so will happily sign up
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Adbru
Hi Guys,

Re a date for a meetup....

Anyone fancy Sunday 29th July ??
(as no-one else has put a date forward )

Far enough ahead for making plans.....(and being selfish as that day suits us )

If thats ok how about suggestions for a location ??

As the last one (feb) was in Nanimo how about Victoria or somewhere in the south of the Island ??

If I'm out of line trying to make it fit our hols please feel free to give me a virtual slap

Adbru

(p.s. been listening to 100.3 TheQ over the net - am I sad or what !! weird hearing local news from halfway round the world )

The Escapea's live in Victoria & came to the last meet-up ........... maybe they can suggest somewhere?

The date sounds good to me

Last edited by bananahammock; Jun 9th 2007 at 1:25 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.