Reload this Page >

marriage/filing aos NYC

marriage/filing aos NYC

Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage/filing aos NYC

Hello,
Expecting my fiance in a few weeks and had a few NYC specific questions as a Manhattan resident.

1- Anyone get married in the Manhattan courthouse and if so would you advise for or against this with respect to the overall experience and getting your certified marriage certificate in a timely manner? If against, any suggestions for other nearby smaller-town destinations where you may have had a good experience?

2- Do we have to file for AOS with the Manhattan office downtown and if so, can we bring the forms/fees in person or do they only accept mailed forms? If we don't have to file in Manhattan, any do you know of any alternative offices nearby in NY state that do accept walk-ins?

Thank you.

***a question about the options section below here on britishexpats. what is the difference in selecting or not "do not send to usenet"?
Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

My husband and I married in NYC on April 27th 2002 and we used a lovely marriage officiant named Paula Posman. She was reasonably priced and included the use of her own elegant and private wedding chapel for the occassion. It was quite romantic and not at all tacky. Her contact no. is 212-682-7110/ 212-818-0689. She is located on E. 40th st in Manhattan. She handled the registration of our marriage and we received the certificate after about a month. We were both happy with her ceremony, her words were meaningful and we felt she cared. I would recommend her.
We then mailed in our AOS forms, which is the only way you can file in NYC. No walk-ins accepted. If you live in Manhattan you must file with the 26 Federal Plaza office. Best wishes.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by desusa
Hi there,

My husband and I married in NYC on April 27th 2002 and we used a lovely marriage officiant named Paula Posman. She was reasonably priced and included the use of her own elegant and private wedding chapel for the occassion. It was quite romantic and not at all tacky. Her contact no. is 212-682-7110/ 212-818-0689. She is located on E. 40th st in Manhattan. She handled the registration of our marriage and we received the certificate after about a month. We were both happy with her ceremony, her words were meaningful and we felt she cared. I would recommend her.
We then mailed in our AOS forms, which is the only way you can file in NYC. No walk-ins accepted. If you live in Manhattan you must file with the 26 Federal Plaza office. Best wishes.
thanks for the information. she's right in my neighborhood. not sure if i'll have the $ for something like that but i'll give her a call.
i'm curious to know what a court-house wedding in manhattan would be like. We want to keep it very simple and small but then again don't want to feel like we are being booked for something. thanks again!
Old Mar 21st 2003, 4:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tcylinder
thanks for the information. she's right in my neighborhood. not sure if i'll have the $ for something like that but i'll give her a call.
i'm curious to know what a court-house wedding in manhattan would be like. We want to keep it very simple and small but then again don't want to feel like we are being booked for something. thanks again!

If it anything like my first wedding in the Mt. Vernon, NY City Hall, the ceremony is short and sweet. You can dress it up if you wish to by having a bouquet of flowers and your own witnesses and bring a camera to record the moment.

If you go to a smaller City Hall you might get the recorded certificate back sooner than a month. We got the license in our town in Westchester County, NY and after the wedding handed the signed certificate to my daughter with a prepaid priority self-addressed envelope and a note to registrar's office stating why we needed the certificate asap. We went on our Honeymoon that Sunday morning and when we arrived home on Friday the package was waiting for us.

Rete
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Paula Posman was around $120-$140. Quite reasonable compared to some others and including the use of her chapel.
Also we were SO relieved we stayed away from City Hall in Manhattan. We were planning on using the officiant there but after going there to apply for our licence and seeing the room where they perform the ceremony we were shocked at how awful it looked. I've never seen such a miserable, run-down and shoddy looking room. It resembled a horrible school classroom with stained carpet and plastic chairs. It may have changed since then but make sure you check it out before you turn up on the day to avoid disappointment! Like Rete suggested I would go out of Manhattan if you are using City Hall.

Last edited by desusa; Mar 22nd 2003 at 1:08 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Default that sounds great!

Originally posted by desusa
Paula Posman was around $120-$140. Quite reasonable compared to some others and including the use of her chapel.
Also we were SO relieved we stayed away from City Hall in Manhattan. We were planning on using the officiant there but after going there to apply for our licence and seeing the room where they perform the ceremony we were shocked at how awful it looked. I've never seen such a miserable, run-down and shoddy looking room. It resembled a horrible school classroom with stained carpet and plastic chairs. It may have changed since then but make sure you check it out before you turn up on the day to avoid disappointment! Like Rete suggested I would go out of Manhattan if you are using City Hall.
Thanks for the information again. I will definitely call Paula as the price and your description seem like a great city hall alternative.
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 9:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage/filing aos NYC

Originally posted by tcylinder
2- Do we have to file for AOS with the Manhattan office downtown and if so, can we bring the forms/fees in person or do they only accept mailed forms? If we don't have to file in Manhattan, any do you know of any alternative offices nearby in NY state that do accept walk-ins?

Thank you.

***a question about the options section below here on britishexpats. what is the difference in selecting or not "do not send to usenet"?
Your question re the ceremony have been dealt with but we failed to answer your other questions.

You have to file at 26 Federal Plaza, NYC if you live within their jurisdiction. You cannot file in another location. Albany and Buffalo are for people in living in those jurisdictions as specified on the BCIS field office website.

NYC does not allow walk-in filing. Everything is to be mailed to them. Check the BCIS website to confirm that they still take personal checks. Other offices have been changing this option in the last few weeks and you don't want to be caught with sending the wrong form of payment.

Also be prepared to wait a minimum of 90 days for work permission after filing (EAD). On the 91st day if you are desperate for an EAD then get there between 12 midinight and 4 a.m. so that you will one of the first 50 ones asking for an interim EAD. If you are not, they will not see you that day.

Mail everything via a receipted form of mailing so that you have proof it was received.

Rete

PS DO NOT SEND TO USENET means your post will not be sent and therefore seen by those people who use other means of accessing the usenet for reading alt.visa.us.marriage-based posts, i.e. google, ISP news servers, etc. It will only be seen by those members using British Expats.