Green Card Lottery elegibility

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:26 am
Just Joined

darrenfisher2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Green Card Lottery elegibility

My wife was born on a British Army base in Rinteln, Germany. It clearly states on her birth certificate that she was born in Germany but also states she is a British citizen. Can she qualify to enter the green card lottery? As Germany qualifies for the green card lottery, but the UK does not.

She was born in Germany, but is a British Citizen. She holds a British passport. If she does qualify can the application include myself (husband) and our three children (all under ten years of age) we are british citizens?

Many thanks

Darren
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Lottery elegibility

Originally Posted by darrenfisher2
It clearly states on her birth certificate that she was born in Germany but also states she is a British citizen.
Citizenship doesn't matter. All that matters is place of birth.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:42 am
Just Joined

so even though here parents are english and she was born on a British Army base in germany she can still apply for the lottery? that is good news
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

sorry to double post but would I and our three children also get green cards if she won one through the lottery? many thanks
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was born on a British Army base in Rinteln, Germany. It clearly states on her birth certificate that she was born in Germany but also states she is a British citizen. Can she qualify to enter the green card lottery? As Germany qualifies for the green card lottery, but the UK does not.

She was born in Germany, but is a British Citizen. She holds a British passport. If she does qualify can the application include myself (husband) and our three children (all under ten years of age) we are british citizens?

Many thanks

Darren
I forget the outcome.. see if you find the answer in here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488371
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to double post but would I and our three children also get green cards if she won one through the lottery? many thanks
If one person wins, the whole family gets to come along (spouse + children).
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Darren
Hi:

First of all -- please note that the countries eligible for "diversity visas" are determined on a yearly basis. Although it is not likely there will be a change for DV 2010, it could happen.

Under US law, as a general rule, country "chargeability" is determined by the country of BIRTH, not citizenship. [There are limited exceptions not applicable here].

So, assuming Germany remains on the list, your wife will be eligible to enter. Good news.

Second, under the rules of "cross-chargeability", YOU are eligible to enter by using your wife's place of birth since your place of birth would disqualify you. But when it comes time to immigrate, you and your wife would have to immigrate together. Further good news.

So, if you should "win", your wife, you, and your children may be able to obtain visas under the allocation for Germany.

Explaining this is like explaining the dreaded "Rule Against Perpetuities". So please don't ask for an explanation.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A british army base is technically British soil ....

dont know if that makes a difference
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It is not. Military facilities of visiting forces remain the sovereign territory of the host nation.

The exception is the Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray

dont know if that makes a difference
Hi:

I'm not so sure of that. http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo...ungsrecht.html
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is not. Military facilities of visiting forces remain the sovereign territory of the host nation.

The exception is the Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus.
Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I was not sure.. but remember an incident
I was involved with some 25 years ago where the point came up ...
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I was not sure.. but remember an incident
I was involved with some 25 years ago where the point came up ...
Foreign military bases (and embassies) often have special immunities from the laws of the host nation. They remain sovereign territory of the host nation, however.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:46 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by JAJ
Foreign military bases (and embassies) often have special immunities from the laws of the host nation. They remain sovereign territory of the host nation, however.
Ah yes !! that would definitely be it ... it was crime related
Old Sep 6th 2008, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Ah yes !! that would definitely be it ... it was crime related
Hi:

Embassies have extraterritorial status. That is why you see incidents of people taking refuge in embassies.

Military bases are something else and usually subject to a "SOFA" or Status of Forces Agreement. Quite often, a part of a SOFA involves jurisdiction over crimes committed by the foreign military members. I recall a situation on Okinawa quite some years back where the SOFA gave the US jurisdiction to try the Marine in question -- for purposes of international relations, the Marine was turned over to the Japanese authorities for trial and punishment. If I recall correctly, the Marine argued that he had the right to invoke the jurisdictional requirements of the SOFA and it was ruled that the SOFA gave no enforceable rights to him as an individual.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

First of all -- please note that the countries eligible for "diversity visas" are determined on a yearly basis. Although it is not likely there will be a change for DV 2010, it could happen.

Under US law, as a general rule, country "chargeability" is determined by the country of BIRTH, not citizenship. [There are limited exceptions not applicable here].

So, assuming Germany remains on the list, your wife will be eligible to enter. Good news.

Second, under the rules of "cross-chargeability", YOU are eligible to enter by using your wife's place of birth since your place of birth would disqualify you. But when it comes time to immigrate, you and your wife would have to immigrate together. Further good news.

So, if you should "win", your wife, you, and your children may be able to obtain visas under the allocation for Germany.

Explaining this is like explaining the dreaded "Rule Against Perpetuities". So please don't ask for an explanation.
One more question if you don't mind. When you state 'YOU are eligible to enter by using your wife's place of birth since your place of birth would disqualify you.' Does this mean on the form for the lottery application, do I (the Husband) and my children put down that our place of birth was also Germany? Or do we put our actual place of birth, which is the UK? (I guess we put the UK, and my wife's German place of Birth just makes us eligible to go with her should she win?). Hope i've explained that well enough...sorry sounds like a dumb question but don't want to mess it up.

Many thanks to all of you for all your great help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.