Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:21 am
Just Joined

corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice, my son is 20 and whilst we all have P/R he doesn't. He has decided he loves it here in Tauranga. Problem is he can't get a job. He has been here on a WHV which expires in 2012.
He is interested in doing an apprenticeship, but he can't find any companies to take him on. My concern as his Mum is they may send him back to the UK.
He would love to work with a builder/ to be honest I reckon just a full-time permanent job offer would be great. If anyone knows of anything, or anyone looking for someone let me know.
The fee's at the polytech are very expensive. (international fee's for him if he wants to study)
Thanks all.
Helen
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:18 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

He will still have the immigration issue to deal with when his WHV runs out. Even with a permanent job offer, there is still work permits required and the relevant criterias to satisfy, if he has no qualifications or experience.....it going to be a hard ask.

Is he here on a 12mth or 23mth WHV? If he was on a 12 mth WHV, he can apply to extend it to the balance of the 23 months. Then you can stay for a further 3months as a visitor. Then all options are exhausted.

Australia has a WHV scheme as well, at least he will be in the region.

Does not really help, but looking for an apprenticeship, I do not believe is going to help him.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Australia has a WHV scheme as well, at least he will be in the region.
Good suggestion
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

why dont you apply to get him PR??
I have a friend who was in the same situation, him and wife had PR, 20 yr old son on WHV
Originally the son wasnt going to come then changed his mind 6 weeks before his parents left to come here
They applied a few months ago to get PR for their son and it came through a couple of weeks ago.

Be realistic, nobody is going to offer an apprenticeship to someone on a WHV
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
I have a friend who was in the same situation, him and wife had PR, 20 yr old son on WHV
Originally the son wasnt going to come then changed his mind 6 weeks before his parents left to come here
They applied a few months ago to get PR for their son and it came through a couple of weeks ago.

Be realistic, nobody is going to offer an apprenticeship to someone on a WHV
There is a waiting period Col.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:43 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Because as he is over 18, he will have to apply under his own steam. It appears he does not have much by way of qualifications, so it's gonna be hard.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ck/default.htm
This seems to imply he could apply as a dependent child?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:27 am
`

He isn't though is he. He is visiting on a WHV
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
There is a waiting period Col.
would he have to apply himself? with him being twenty, i guess he would have to apply himself.
I will try this, yeah I guess the apprenticeship is a big ask. That's why I said a job a permanent job. Yep, I know he would still need to apply.

I was trying to stay positive and hopeful. He was on a 23 month WHV and has been searching for work for ages.

thanks guys.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

What is required – dependent child
You need to meet a number of requirements to have your residence application approved under the Family Dependent Child Category.
First things first…
Your parent(s) must be lawfully and permanently in New Zealand.

You must
be aged 17 years or younger and single
or
be aged 18 to 24 years, single, and have no children of your own.
And
be born or adopted before your parents applied for residence, and have been declared on your parents’ application for residence
or
be born after your parents applied for residence
or
be adopted by your parents as a result of a New Zealand adoption or an overseas adoption recognised under New Zealand law.
And
be in good health
be of good character
be totally or substantially dependent on an adult for financial support (whether or not that adult is your parent, and whether or not you are living with that adult)
And you must supply
evidence of your relationship to your parents
evidence of your parent’s residence status

You may be asked for evidence of financial dependence
If you are aged 18 to 24 years you may be asked to provide evidence that you are dependent on an adult for financial support.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ed/default.htm
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:59 pm
`

Yes but he is not dependant. He has entered on a WHV which has it's own criteria .

In particular.
**You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.
Criteria
You must:
  • usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
  • have a British passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
  • be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
  • not bring children with you
  • hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket**
  • have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
  • meet our health and character requirements
  • be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
  • not have been approved a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
Per NZIS records he would therefore be independent of anyone & able to meet his living costs here..

Link HERE
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes but he is not dependant. He has entered on a WHV which has it's own criteria .

In particular.

Criteria

Per NZIS records he would therefore be independent of anyone & able to meet his living costs here..

Link HERE
No, he is not able to meet his living costs here. Anything he needs I buy it for him. If he was to have to return to the UK he goes back on his own without his family. So, I guess to a certain degree he is dependent on us his family.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

all i can tell you is this situation is almost exactly the same as my friends.
his son was 20(now 21), had little or no qualifications, arrived with his parents
about 18 months ago, parents had PR he had 12 month WHV, he applied and got PR a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:19 am
`

Originally Posted by corbieken
No, he is not able to meet his living costs here. Anything he needs I buy it for him. If he was to have to return to the UK he goes back on his own without his family. So, I guess to a certain degree he is dependent on us his family.
Not sure I understand but that's not hard. I take it he couldn't or wouldn't have come under your umbrella as a dependant child when you were applying for residency.
How did he meet the requirements of his WHV then. He needed to show funds.
  • have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
his son was 20(now 21), had little or no qualifications, arrived with his parents
about 18 months ago, parents had PR he had 12 month WHV, he applied and got PR a few weeks ago.
This is quite an important post ref NZIS policy.
Under what category did this son apply . He arrived with his parents who only just had PR . Not enough time to be a sponsor at all for an adult child under family category. He arrived with a WHV so it was an independent visa issued and he had to show funds to support himself.
Under what category did this son gain residency.

If an adult child can choose not to apply for residency along with his family but then, under the waiting period, decide to change his/her mind , then what they need to do is simply apply for a WHV and arrive. The family then take care of living expenses and then apply for sponsorship under the family category prior to the waiting period.

Is this what we are saying? As NZIS operations manual doesn't state this.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:03 pm

I be surprised if it was a straightforward as that.

Personally I find it hard to understand how a full functioning 18-24 year old can be totally reliant upon parental support. Especially when you hit your 20's!

If you have a case where you can prove that your "child" has been solely dependant upon you for support, whilst here on a WHV, then it has been a complete wasted opportunity for him.

A WHV provides plenty of opportunities to get out and about around NZ, do some cool (or backbreaking) work. If used in the right way, it is a awesome tool in self development.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.