High cholesterol :(

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Amtin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High cholesterol :(

Hi All,

Just had my medicals done and results indicate that i have a high cholesterol level-i have never had any problems before and no family problems. I think it may be down to the fact i had a fry up the day before the bloods and also went for a unhealthy meal (it was my birthday ). The doctor has indicated significant or abnormal findings but has signed the medical form. Does anyone know if this will affect my ITA? Will it just mean a case of re doing my bloods in a few months? Very worried as job offer runs out in Aug (All other medical things were fine).

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Amy
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High cholesterol :(

Originally Posted by Amtin
Hi All,

Just had my medicals done and results indicate that i have a high cholesterol level-i have never had any problems before and no family problems. I think it may be down to the fact i had a fry up the day before the bloods and also went for a unhealthy meal (it was my birthday ). The doctor has indicated significant or abnormal findings but has signed the medical form. Does anyone know if this will affect my ITA? Will it just mean a case of re doing my bloods in a few months? Very worried as job offer runs out in Aug (All other medical things were fine).

Thanks,

Amy
I wouldn't sweat it too much. My hubby had a 'significant find' on his meds too - we thought the worst, as you do! It was a cholesterol level of 5.5 which was the normal range for the Dr, but .5 higher than Immigration like That was 4 years ago and I doubt that much has changed since then. Just ring the GP that completed your meds and ask him/her what it is.

Edited to add: he had to re-do his bloods a couple of weeks later, they were fine and back to 'normal'

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Jun 16th 2011 at 1:13 am. Reason: Forgot something
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply. Really worried as mine is 6.5! pretty darn high the doctor has suggested a blood test in 3 months-which will be after my job offer-really hope it all goes through ok. my other option is to scrap this medical and do another one in a few weeks and work on getting my cholesterol down and submit a medical certificate with no abnormal results-costly but may hurry the process? Any thoughts? Thanks Amy
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply. Really worried as mine is 6.5! pretty darn high the doctor has suggested a blood test in 3 months-which will be after my job offer-really hope it all goes through ok. my other option is to scrap this medical and do another one in a few weeks and work on getting my cholesterol down and submit a medical certificate with no abnormal results-costly but may hurry the process? Any thoughts? Thanks Amy
Hubby went on a detox where he had no alcohol (near on killed him it did ) and low fat everything else for a couple of weeks. This did the trick... maybe you could do the same?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

i will defo go on fat free diet for a while. Just wondering whether, in say 2 weeks, go and get another blood test and also submit that alongside the medical exam (if cholesterol level indicates 'normal')? Can you just get a blood test done at a doctors surgery to test for cholesterol do you know?

Thanks,

Amy
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

i will defo go on fat free diet for a while. Just wondering whether, in say 2 weeks, go and get another blood test and also submit that alongside the medical exam (if cholesterol level indicates 'normal')? Can you just get a blood test done at a doctors surgery to test for cholesterol do you know?

Thanks,

Amy
I think you have to be referred by a Dr. Go back to the Dr and ask if you can have another in a few weeks. You have to pay for another either way so try and make it on your terms
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Hi Amy,

I had a problem with raised LFTs and was told by the panel doctor to go back to my GP for further follow up. Raised cholesterol is an issue that GPs have to treat anyway, whether that be wth health promotion advice or medication and as a young person with no heart/circulatory problems, it would likely be in the form of advice.

I would go back to your GP after a few weeks of a healthy, low fat/high fibre diet and explain about emigrating and your cholesterol and request another cholesterol test. I've lost count of the number of blood tests I've had done at my GP surgery for my liver, but I got there in the end and now on my way to NZ in a few months. Plus it didn't cost me any money either.

Good luck Amy!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:39 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Eat a lot of oatmeal, apparently it really helps lower cholesterol. everything gets sorted favourably for you very soon! Best of luck!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies and advice-i am feeling much better about things now (especially after reading many threads on here of people in the same situation). I have decided to submit the medical as is and then see if my case officer requires some more blood tests and go from there. Thanks again
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:08 am
Just Joined

laleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi; Just I have the same problem for NZ immigration. My husband and my daughter both of them have high cholesterol. Can you please let me know if the high cholesterol is really important for NZ immigration or not?

many thanks
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks,

Amy
I have been researching nutrition lately and would not recommend a 'low fat' diet for anything, including weight loss and reducing cholesterol.

You would be better off cutting out the wheat and starches (bread, pasta, rice, etc) and watching the sugar content of everything (including sauces and the like). Anything labelled 'low fat' tends to have sugar added to compensate.

Recommended Reading:
Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It
Wheat Belly

Of course, I am not a doctor but what I read makes sense and since switching away from the low fat, eggs and bacon bad mindset I feel a whole lot better, less deprived, I don't snack and I'm dropping a few kg.

The 'food pyramid' is a crock and we are collectively paying the price for years of bad nutritional advice based on Bad Science.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I had cholesterol of 5.5 which was referred, all I needed was a letter from the doctor (the panel doctor did one for me) to say I didnt have any other symptoms and that was the only 'abnormal' finding.

See if you can get a letter from the doctor (mine didnt charge by the way) and send it off to Immigration - cant hurt.