Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

YAKAT - Yet Another K1 Application Thread

YAKAT - Yet Another K1 Application Thread

Old May 25th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all
Default YAKAT - Yet Another K1 Application Thread

Four years of knowing each other online, four trips to the States and a year and a half engaged later... its time to file some governmental paperwork!

Yes, another Brit looking to make the hop Stateside.

So, to begin... I'm a reasonably intelligent guy with the power of the internet at my fingertips so I and my fiancee will be self-filing rather than using an intermediary.

First off, identifying the forms and pieces needed - the Wiki here was exceedingly useful and allowed me to get to the UCSIS website to chase after the varying forms.

Step One - Preparing to File I-129F
So, looking at this lovely piece of formage, I come across that not only this form but its buddy G-325A needs sending along for company. Can't quite work out if all four copies of the form are needed twice (once for me, once for my fiancee) or if I can discard two and they were in the PDF for convenience.

Also need to get some of the meeting evidence sent out to her as not sure if there is enough at her apartment or not. And I have to send the passport photo of me and my statement of intent over as well.

Still, the form itself seems relatively straight forward.

Checklist
  1. Form I-129F
  2. Fiancee's USC Birth Certificate
  3. Meeting Evidence (probably flight Ticket Stubs as most photos were digital)
  4. A pair of Statements of Intent
  5. A pair of G-325A's (one each)
  6. A pair of passport-style photos (from the last 30 days)
  7. The filing fee
Old May 25th 2009, 11:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YAKAT - Yet Another K1 Application Thread

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo
Can't quite work out if all four copies of the form are needed twice (once for me, once for my fiancee) or if I can discard two and they were in the PDF for convenience.
A single G-325A form consists of 4 pages - each identical, each with an original signature. One for you, one for your fiancee... ergo, 8 pages in all. I wish I could say it's the last vestige of government stupidity... but that would be a stupid thing to say!

Sheila and I did the entire K-1 route ourselves - with help from this newsgroup - from I-129F petition clear through to naturalization. If you have no criminal issues or previous overstay issues, you're detail oriented, have good research skills, and don't mind asking seemingly silly questions... you'll be fine.

Meeting Evidence (probably flight Ticket Stubs as most photos were digital)
It wouldn't hurt to print out a few pics and include them - especially if they are time stamped by the camera. Otherwise, I'd say you're in good shape.

Ian
Old May 25th 2009, 12:00 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Four years of knowing each other online, four trips to the States and a year and a half engaged later... its time to file some governmental paperwork!

Yes, another Brit looking to make the hop Stateside.

So, to begin... I'm a reasonably intelligent guy with the power of the internet at my fingertips so I and my fiancee will be self-filing rather than using an intermediary.

First off, identifying the forms and pieces needed - the Wiki here was exceedingly useful and allowed me to get to the UCSIS website to chase after the varying forms.

Step One - Preparing to File I-129F
So, looking at this lovely piece of formage, I come across that not only this form but its buddy G-325A needs sending along for company. Can't quite work out if all four copies of the form are needed twice (once for me, once for my fiancee) or if I can discard two and they were in the PDF for convenience.

Also need to get some of the meeting evidence sent out to her as not sure if there is enough at her apartment or not. And I have to send the passport photo of me and my statement of intent over as well.

Checklist
  1. Form I-129F
  2. Fiancee's USC Birth Certificate
  3. Meeting Evidence (probably flight Ticket Stubs as most photos were digital)
  4. A pair of Statements of Intent
  5. A pair of G-325A's (one each)
  6. A pair of passport-style photos (from the last 30 days)
  7. The filing fee
you can print the digital photos, they are fully acceptable. My digi photos were stamped from July 2018 LOL but they still took them at USCIS when I filed my petition for my fiance. When I filed the i129f i included all of the required documents, letters of intent, pictures, the letter from my doctor stating I was pregnant and when I got pregnant...at my fiancee's interview however, they asked for no pictures, not our sons birth certificate, or anything else. but every story is different.

I have also done the k1 route on our own with no help from a lawyer, just the amazing people here at this website!
Old May 25th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have done a good amount of researching, the G-325A has caught most people out, but like ian said its 4 pages per form for both of you.

If you fill out the first page on your computer the other 3 automatically fill in with the same details. then just print and sign all 4 pages, same with your fiancee.

Include whatever you can with the I-129F as evidence of on-going relationship and having met within the last 2 years. Photos, plane ticket stubs, hotel receipts, etc

Get a folder and make a copy of *everything*, photocopy every letter you send them and every form you fill in, like wise with everything they send you.

I wish i had found this forum sooner and not bothered with the lawyer i wasted £2000 and want to take mine to court!

good luck with the visa!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Zap-Robo, I'm impressed! All I can say is, I think we've got a new recruit for the AR Club!

Please report to SecretGarden for your official AR Club acceptance packet!

~ Jenney
Old May 25th 2009, 5:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Zap-Robo, I'm impressed! All I can say is, I think we've got a new recruit for the AR Club!

Please report to SecretGarden for your official AR Club acceptance packet!

~ Jenney
And karma for the thread title and "lovely piece of formage"!!
Old May 25th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Zap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to allZap-Robo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm going to have to accept that aren't I. Since I Google'd up the meaning of the acronym.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Hey there

I sent back printouts of photos off my digital camera, and just wrote the dates and places they were took. We also included endless ticket stubs (both from his side and mine) along with all the other forms!

We just got our NOA2....so Im currently waiting for packet 3 so I can arrange my interview!

I've posted, and started a few threads on here, some of them with very silly questions, but thanks to the guys here we've managed this far all by ourselves. Im ridiculously organised and have a proper ring binder with copies of everything plus a little journal/organiser with the lists of things i need to do....I think I'm getting an OCD about it!

Feel free to IM me or message me with questions....its taken a little under 4 months from the I-129F petition to approval.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's sure the process to make you feel like a complete numpty! I think I'm relatively intelligent too but still I'm so cautious about making mistakes that I query anything at all I'm not completely clear on.

I've started down this route with my fiance too without an immigration lawyer so hoping that all goes smoothly for us both!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Update: 14/07/09
Okay, today saw the inaugral bit of paperwork being mailed over to the States - a completed Form I-129F (3 sheets), a pair of Statements of Intent (2 sheets), a pair of G-325A's (8 sheets!) and a passport-style photo of my lovely mug - are now winging their way Stateside.

Thought I'd print it all out since I had to sign things and send them all over anyway.

We're off! All the relationship evidence is in hand with my US Fiancee anyway, so we're about a week or two off actually filing with the relevant Service Centre.

Checklist Part Deux
Here's where I need to give a bit more planning - need to sort out my innoculation records, police certificate, financials for my Fiancee (proof she can afford me!). Still, thats a bit distant yet...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Update: 14/07/09
Okay, today saw the inaugral bit of paperwork being mailed over to the States - a completed Form I-129F (3 sheets), a pair of Statements of Intent (2 sheets), a pair of G-325A's (8 sheets!) and a passport-style photo of my lovely mug - are now winging their way Stateside.

Thought I'd print it all out since I had to sign things and send them all over anyway.

We're off! All the relationship evidence is in hand with my US Fiancee anyway, so we're about a week or two off actually filing with the relevant Service Centre.

Checklist Part Deux
Here's where I need to give a bit more planning - need to sort out my innoculation records, police certificate, financials for my Fiancee (proof she can afford me!). Still, thats a bit distant yet...
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand. You mailed the I-129F plus some supporting docs to the USA (where in the USA?), but your fiancee is hand-carrying the proof of having met within the past 2 years herself back to the USA (and will file the whole I-129F package within a few weeks)?

Why did you mail some things to the USA earlier? She could have hand-carried everything back to the USA with her, since she's not going to file the whole package for another couple of weeks anyway.

Just confused about why you mailed certain things ahead of time, and to whom?

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

No, I left the proof with my fiancee last time I visited (mid-March). We've held off till now so that the rough processing times, etc. sync with when we want to get hitched (end of 2010 or so).

No face to face meeting until September now.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, I left the proof with my fiancee last time I visited (mid-March). We've held off till now so that the rough processing times, etc. sync with when we want to get hitched (end of 2010 or so).

No face to face meeting until September now.

I do think that you need to be a bit more careful with your flowery speech

Questions (since you are not clear):

1. Where is your fiancee at this moment (from your post it appears she is with you in the UK)?

2. Who did you mail the I-129F and accompanying documents to in the US? The appropriate Service Center for her filing jurisdiction or to her if she is in the US?

2A. If to her why do you have her completed letter of intent and G-325A?

3. She has the original and you mailed copies?

4. You have met in person and the next meeting will be in September, 2009 (not that you are meeting for the first time this September).
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That still doesn't clear things up as to why you mailed the I-129F and a few supporting documents to the USA. If your fiancee is in the UK with you (as it sounds from your post), she could have hand carried it all back to the USA with her when she goes back...if she's going back...I'm so confused. LOL

The other thing I'm thinking, is that your USC fiancee is not in the UK with you at the moment...she is in the USA, and you are mailing YOUR part of the necessary paperwork to her, so she can file the I-129F.

But I guess what's confusing is that YOU don't have to do an I-129F, that's her petition, so she fills it out in the USA. Why are you filling it out in the UK and sending it to her? That's the confusing part, I guess.

But anyway...seems the whole package will be filed in a few weeks, so that's good...best wishes for a speedy processing!

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I do think that you need to be a bit more careful with your flowery speech
I shall cut it back to daisies only! So, step-by-step then as I appear to have confused at least two people!

1. Where is your fiancee at this moment (from your post it appears she is with you in the UK)?
She is in the USA. Where she lives. I am in the UK, where I live.

2. Who did you mail the I-129F and accompanying documents to in the US? The appropriate Service Center for her filing jurisdiction or to her if she is in the US?
I mailed the documents to my fiancee in the US for her to review and sign before passing it on to the relevant service centre.

2A. If to her why do you have her completed letter of intent and G-325A?
This is because it was easier for me to write and fill out these forms and then mail them to her for signing and sendoff.

3. She has the original and you mailed copies?
Not sure what you are querying here.

4. You have met in person and the next meeting will be in September, 2009 (not that you are meeting for the first time this September).
Correct. We have met in person on several visits, the last of which was in March this year. The evidence of this was left with her in the USA on each trip (knowing we'd be doing this in the future).

Does this clear up any confusion you may have had? I thought I was being fairly straightforward here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.