Landing at Carway by foot

Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road
Default Landing at Carway by foot

Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible to park up the car and walk through the Carway border to flagpole? I have heard of vehicle line ups and since they only do Immigration until 6.15pm, time may be of the essence!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

danniimazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Landing at Carway by foot

Hi, I'm not sure of the answer but I was wondering if you could explain what 'flagpole' means! I have applied for permanent residence from inside Canada - do I still have to 'land'?? I'm confused

Thanks,

Dannii
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Landing at Carway by foot

Yes you have to 'Land', meaning leave Canada and re-enter. Flagpoling is when you go to the US border and tell them you are activating your Canadian PR, US officers give you some sort of 'rejection' letter, then you go to the Canadian office and officially 'land'. AFAIK this doesn't affect future entry to US.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

danniimazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Landing at Carway by foot

Ah, I see now. Thank you for clearing that up! So we could just go to the Niagara border and do that?

Good luck with your question and with 'landing'...I have a while ahead of me before I can do that
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry I forgot to add that you can also wait about 6 weeks for an appointment at a local CIC office, and 'Land' there without leaving the country.

Good luck with everything
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

sjmartin is on a distinguished road

not sure about by foot, we have just flagpoled at Niagara last weekend see thread today "flagpoling experience". I guess if you can go by car then you can walk too? Although I didnt see any walkers I have to admit!!!! Its an easy way to land PM me if I can help clarify any of the process.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

I have entered the US three times by foot. When there is a huge backlog of cars, it is a bit weird to walk past them all. But I had no problems with any of the entries.

Lots of people also bicycle.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bewillow. Was that at Carway? It will be my first time there. I assume there is somewhere to park up but i'd like to feel confident that it will be relatively stress free
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

I have done it at Blane Washington, in Maine, and New York state.

I have not crossed at Carway. But I am sure Carway is easy. Rural. Not too much traffic. What a pretty place to land!

You may find there is no traffic and it is not worth parking and walking. But if there is a line, I would definitely walk past all the idling cars.

p.s. Have you checked that the Canadian side can deal with landing immigrants?

Last edited by bewillow; Nov 27th 2009 at 5:49 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes they do immigration there, but only from 7am to 6.15pm
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

WHy Caraway ? Why not Coutts ???
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Because google directions says it's an extra hour drive
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brummi
Because google directions says it's an extra hour drive
That's exactly why I'm going down to Carway on Monday.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brummi
Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible to park up the car and walk through the Carway border to flagpole? I have heard of vehicle line ups and since they only do Immigration until 6.15pm, time may be of the essence!
We went to Carway yesterday to flagpole. There was no line up at all but I would not reccommend seeing the immigration bod we saw. He was rude and gave us a really hard time stating that under no circumstances could we get a change of circumstances work permits there and we had to apply through vegraville.

He eventually backed down and was nice as pie once he decided to issue them! However he gave us some advise about landing when we get our PR and he said that we can only go to Couttes for that. That Carway DOES NOT DO IT!

My sister lives in Edmonton and you can get your PR in land at Canada Place there. He told our friend (who was with us from Lethbridge) that he would have to flagpole at Couttes. He also said that they are much stricter going through all your paper work at the border than inland.

So Good luck whatever you decide to do and CONGRATULATIONS on getting your PR.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

I landed at Carway today! Had no problem at all. From arriving at the US border the whole process took just 20 minutes. I have to say the US border officials were so nice but the Canadians were very sharp and cold.

Happy that's all over and done with and I can relax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.