Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting at UK Pension fund?

Getting at UK Pension fund?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting at UK Pension fund?

Have many people had any success in transferring their pensions out of the UK?

The ideal solution I would like is to take my lump sum and place it in some form of US investment plan. This is probably impossible though. From my brief research, also speaking with the Inland Revenue, something has to be ok'd with the IR before funds will be transferred overseas and then still after all this, the US side may still refuse to accept the payment. It seems very hit and miss.

Anyone else have any good ideas? Its only a small fund I'm talking about, ie < £50k, but x2 with the exchange rate I obviously want this is dollars instead.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting at UK Pension fund?

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
From previous remarks on this subject it seems its not possible
and would appear to be better left there anyway ...
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The ideal solution I would like is to take my lump sum and place it in some form of US investment plan. This is probably impossible though. From my brief research, also speaking with the Inland Revenue, something has to be ok'd with the IR before funds will be transferred overseas and then still after all this, the US side may still refuse to accept the payment. It seems very hit and miss.

Anyone else have any good ideas? Its only a small fund I'm talking about, ie < £50k, but x2 with the exchange rate I obviously want this is dollars instead.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
If you are trying to "roll over" a UK pension fund into some tax free US equivalent
forget about it. Its best to leave it where it is. If you want to take advantage of the strong pound can you invest the pension it in US denominated investments.

I have a US 401k plan, but I'm planning to move back to the UK so fo a few years I've had most of it invested in UK and European based mutual funds to insulate me from currency fluctuations.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Have you discovered the cost of doing this yet?
Exit fees for old scheme and new? Might be a dealbreaker and be better to leave them invested in the UK?
(I have no idea just what I assume will happen - same if you wanted to transfer between schemes within the UK)
I have a couple of pensions that I will leave paid up and when they start paying out (ha - i'll be minted - NOT!) will leave them to credit a UK account.
If I'm still in the US I can then do the occasional transfer of funds.
If I'm really really really lucky and I don't need to rely on them for support then I have some travel money accruing for visits home.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

I certainly wouldnt think leaving the pension in the UK is a good idea, after all the well known knowledge of pension shortfalls and the forever increasing tax burdens.

This is a long term investment that you'll be leaving in a very volatile market.

Even when a plan becomes paid up you'll still be paying fund management fees and entrusting your investment to a complete stranger who would be totally unaccountable for any mistakes.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:24 pm
Banned

STEVE7800 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Hi

I tried moving my frozen U.K. pensions to my IRA in the U.S. but the transfers were not allowed by the U.K. pension companies. Eventually I found an offshore company with an office in London. I successfully did three QROPS transfers in June 2007 and was able to access the funds.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 30th 2007 at 12:13 am.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by STEVE7800
Hi

I tried moving my frozen U.K. pensions to my IRA in the U.S. but the transfers were not allowed by the U.K. pension companies. Eventually I found an offshore company with an office in London. I successfully did three QROPS transfers in June 2007 and was able to access the funds
I assume when you say that you were "able to access the funds" that once you transferred them to this offshore account you then took the money out? Did you end up having to pay an exorbitant amount of penalties and taxes to the US in order to take these funds out?

To be honest, this does sound a bit dodgy to me. Anyone else think the same?

Last edited by Bob; Oct 30th 2007 at 12:12 am.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I assume when you say that you were "able to access the funds" that once you transferred them to this offshore account you then took the money out? Did you end up having to pay an exorbitant amount of penalties and taxes to the US in order to take these funds out?

To be honest, this does sound a bit dodgy to me. Anyone else think the same?
But is the poster company related ...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wouldnt think leaving the pension in the UK is a good idea, after all the well known knowledge of pension shortfalls and the forever increasing tax burdens.

This is a long term investment that you'll be leaving in a very volatile market.

Even when a plan becomes paid up you'll still be paying fund management fees and entrusting your investment to a complete stranger who would be totally unaccountable for any mistakes.
Whether its a good idea or not really depends on the quality of the investments and the penalties and fees to get at the funds early. I don't know much about UK pensions, but the general rule in the US is not to withdraw retirement savings early as you pay a 10% penalty and then have a massive tax bill too. I would imagine the same logic applies to UK retirement funds.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:28 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by STEVE7800
Hi

I tried moving my frozen U.K. pensions to my IRA in the U.S. but the transfers were not allowed by the U.K. pension companies. Eventually I found an offshore company with an office in London. I successfully did three QROPS transfers in June 2007 and was able to access the funds.
Well I'll be damned, looks like there is a way to transfer a UK pension to the US. Do a QROP transfer. I'd call one of the Qualified companies and see what they say. They include Fidelity and Pershing (Vanguard) and I'd recommend using them as they'll give you access to lots of low cost (0.2% fee) mutual funds

Last edited by Bob; Oct 30th 2007 at 12:12 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Well I'll be damned, looks like there is a way to transfer a UK pension to the US. Do a QROP transfer. I'd call one of the Qualified companies and see what they say. They include Fidelity and Pershing (Vanguard) and I'd recommend using them as they'll give you access to lots of low cost (0.2% fee) mutual funds
On further investigation it looks like the IRS might have issues with this sort of thing. Its ok as far as HMRC is concerned, but I don't know about the IRS. Many of the US schemes that are QROP seem to be individual company 401k plans which makes me think its some tax "dodge" for highly compensated execs.It can't hurt to call Fidelity though.

I'd be interested to know how the IRS treated the funds you accessed and whether there were any penalty fees.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 30th 2007 at 12:13 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
On further investigation it looks like the IRS might have issues with this sort of thing. Its ok as far as HMRC is concerned, but I don't know about the IRS. Many of the US schemes that are QROP seem to be individual company 401k plans which makes me think its some tax "dodge" for highly compensated execs.It can't hurt to call Fidelity though.

I'd be interested to know how the IRS treated the funds you accessed and whether there were any penalty fees.
yeah, I just came across the list of acceptable QROPS here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops.pdf and saw Fidelity listed. I soo wish we would have known about this 3 months ago. My UKC hubby cashed out a 401k with his former employer and it was thru Fidelity. Makes me wonder if we could have cashed out the UK pension funds as well if we had already transferred those into his acct? Guess we won't find out now.

Wonder how the US would approach this as well, if a persion did cash this out? I don't think the US should get there slimey little hands on any of this money cuz the money was never earned in the US, but I'm sure there is some obscure section of the tax code giving them access.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:53 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
yeah, I just came across the list of acceptable QROPS here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops.pdf and saw Fidelity listed. I soo wish we would have known about this 3 months ago. My UKC hubby cashed out a 401k with his former employer and it was thru Fidelity. Makes me wonder if we could have cashed out the UK pension funds as well if we had already transferred those into his acct? Guess we won't find out now.
Me too: I just rolled over from Fidelity into a Vanguard 401(K) :-(
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

BE rule #729

When anyone posts a question about pensions, a new member with nothing else to say will reply with a "just e-mail me and I'll see you right". Weird!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Don't you just wish people would spread the word for free?

Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.