Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help on moving to Australia. Where do I start.

Help on moving to Australia. Where do I start.

Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:23 am
Just Joined

debsyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on moving to Australia. Where do I start.

Hi Everyone.

I have had enough. I can't live in England anymore.

We are really interested in moving to Australia, but havn't got a clue where to start. I am quite a cautious person and am scared of making the move, but I'm so sick of England that I am determined to do it, for my kids if not for me.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to start the process or even better a step to step guide!!

So far we have had a look at the point system for jobs and my partners job is on there, so I think we qualify? ( I think anyway!)

For everyone reding this that is living in OZ, I'd just like to say well done for doing it, I admire you all beyond belief for having the courage.... and am so so envious of you all.

So If anyone reading this has any advice and experiences that would help us join the land of Oz. I would be so greatful for any help we can get.

Deb's.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on moving to Australia. Where do I start.

Originally Posted by debsyj
Hi Everyone.

We are really interested in moving to Australia, but havn't got a clue where to start. I am quite a cautious person and am scared of making the move, but I'm so sick of England that I am determined to do it, for my kids if not for me.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to start the process or even better a step to step guide!!

So far we have had a look at the point system for jobs and my partners job is on there, so I think we qualify? ( I think anyway!)

For everyone reding this that is living in OZ, I'd just like to say well done for doing it, I admire you all beyond belief for having the courage.... and am so so envious of you all.

So If anyone reading this has any advice and experiences that would help us join the land of Oz. I would be so greatful for any help we can get.

Deb's.
www.immi.gov.au is where you need to start to find out whether you can get a visa to live in Australia.

Might be an idea to be sure that you want to come here first though, rather than just thinking that you want to leave the UK.....the majority of the UK's problems are here too.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

www.immi.gov.au is where to start.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We posted at the same time. And I was thinking the same thing. We have drugs, violence, cold & rain (it was +4 this morning in Perth), taxes and red tape, we still have mortgages and work and all the same shit as before we got here. And no, it isn't better in the sunshine.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

jaffarif is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone.

Deb's.
Thats sounds great. Please find a agent / consultant for guidance. I can also guide you. Thanks

Arif Jaffery
IT-Professional

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 13th 2009 at 4:45 pm. Reason: Members can contact you through the forum, do not post your personal details in public.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffarif
Thats sounds great. Please find a agent / consultant for guidance. I can also guide you. Thanks

Arif Jaffery
IT-Professional
Unless you are a registered migration agent, in which case please put your details in your signature, you should not be offering to guide anyone in that way. Forum posters can offer information based on personal experience, thats all.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

debsyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
www.immi.gov.au is where you need to start to find out whether you can get a visa to live in Australia.

Might be an idea to be sure that you want to come here first though, rather than just thinking that you want to leave the UK.....the majority of the UK's problems are here too.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I can handle most of the problem the uk offers. It's how the next generation is turning out that I want to get away from. I'm sure they must be more discipline and respect in Australia than over here.

My daughter has been bullied for the past year. She has had the most horrendous things happen to her and to be frank I don't know phycologically how much more she can take. The police do nothing, the schools do nothing and the parents don't care or are just as bad as the children.

I grew up in Spain and have never settled back in this country.

Life is too short too live the majority of it unhappy and I don't want to waste my life existing, I want too live it. If we don't try new things, how do we know.

Soz for getting all morbid and serious guys.

Deb's
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Aidano is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate where i live too (Wales ) and really want to move to Oz,
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

manna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone.

Deb's.
I am a registered migration agent. Like everybody else I get a lot of email queries from people. A lot of these questions are common or are very similar. Instead of answering them all individually I have prepared the answers to those questions and put them on my website************** as FAQs. They contain enough information to help you to understand the main GSM visas, do a self assessment, go about preparing your own applications for PASA and visa and lodge them, particularly if your case is straightforward.

I hope you will find answers to your queries there and can get along on your own.

Amin Rahman, MARN 0322761
OZMA,

Last edited by Dorothy; Jun 14th 2009 at 12:57 am.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:02 am
Still alive

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I can handle most of the problem the uk offers. It's how the next generation is turning out that I want to get away from. I'm sure they must be more discipline and respect in Australia than over here.
What gives you that idea? There's no more discipline or respect here than any other western country.
My daughter has been bullied for the past year. She has had the most horrendous things happen to her and to be frank I don't know phycologically how much more she can take. The police do nothing, the schools do nothing and the parents don't care or are just as bad as the children.
The schools, police and parents here are just as uncaring as you will find anywhere else. Do take a read of more than just the tabloid papers for a full view on what Australia is really like.
I grew up in Spain and have never settled back in this country.
What makes you think you will settle in Australi?
Life is too short too live the majority of it unhappy and I don't want to waste my life existing, I want too live it. If we don't try new things, how do we know.

Soz for getting all morbid and serious guys.

Deb's
You need to decide what it is about Australia that pulls you, not what pushes you away. Life here is no different than in any other western country. There are still the same social issues you have/had where you are. Take a read of the main Aus forum as well as the Moving Back to UK forums here on BE for a more balanced view of things. You will see that it's not all sunshine and roses.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:14 am
Just Joined

manna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You need to decide what it is about Australia that pulls you, not what pushes you away. Life here is no different than in any other western country. There are still the same social issues you have/had where you are. Take a read of the main Aus forum as well as the Moving Back to UK forums here on BE for a more balanced view of things. You will see that it's not all sunshine and roses.
Dorothy is right. The grass may seem greener on the other shore but when you reach the other side you will find that it is basically the same. It needs your caring, you need to wateri it, provide fertilsers, do regular weeding etc., to make it green and cushy enough to make you enjoy your lawn as well to make it look attractive to others.

Amin
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:19 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys,

The DIAC website is the place to start looking into your visa options, but as Dorothy and Polyanna say, make sure you want to come here first.

We came to Australia many years ago without any research. We had had enough of the UK. It worked out.

However, I have seen many cases where it hasn't. Please read the 'Moving back to the UK' section.

Also read some on-line Australian newspapers for a month or more before you make up your minds.

For Melbourne read The Age.

and the Herald-Sun.

There are links to other Australian newspapers on both sites.

We've just had a gangland war with about 19 killings in an 18 month period come to an end in Melbourne as well as police chiefs being charged with all manner of offences. The less said about Sydney the better, although one newsstory last week was about a 23 year old being gunned down in his Lamborghini outside his 2 million dollar residence with allusions as to how he came by his money.

We had a young guy stabbed and murdered just down the road from where we live only a couple of weeks ago and have an international ruckus brewing over Indian international students being knifed and robbed. The police did bu@@er all about it until students started demonstratiing in the streets and setting up vigilante groups as well as Indian politicians getting involved thus threatening the future supply of more students to Australia.

And yes we have bullying at schools as well.

Having said all that, I don't think I could maove back to the UK again. I like going back, although its usually on business a couple of times a year, but I do prefer it here.

If you make the move, do it with your eyes open and with clear vision, not a dream.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont come here just because your child is being bullied at school - there is rampant bullying here too and schools are powerless to do anything about it. Moreover it wouldnt be in her best interest to run away from a problem like that, she would be better to sort it out, to succeed and then, if you are still of like mind, to look at moving. Kids who are bullied generally attract bullies no matter where in the world they are. It is possible to work with the victim to make them less of a target but it is hard work, no one denies that.

Add to that almost epidemic levels of adolescent mental health disorders here, including obscene levels of self harm. Australia still has one of the highest rates of youth suicide in the world but I admit it is coming down a bit.

You really do have to be wanting to move to a place rather than trying to escape from a place because often the issues that bug you will continue to be a problem.