Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

British Passport for son born in US.

British Passport for son born in US.

Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

yorkie19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport for son born in US.

I hope that someone can help me. My husband and I are British citizens living in the US with a 1 year old son (born in US). We got him a US passport last year but now would like to get him a British passport. 1st question: is it ok for him to have both passports? 2nd question: in the application form it asks if the applicant has had a passport before, I'm not sure if that just means British passport, or any passport and would I have to send in his US passport with the application form? Has anyone gone through this procedure in the past? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passport for son born in US.

Originally Posted by yorkie19
I hope that someone can help me. My husband and I are British citizens living in the US with a 1 year old son (born in US). We got him a US passport last year but now would like to get him a British passport. 1st question: is it ok for him to have both passports? 2nd question: in the application form it asks if the applicant has had a passport before, I'm not sure if that just means British passport, or any passport and would I have to send in his US passport with the application form? Has anyone gone through this procedure in the past? Any help would be great. Thanks.
1/ Yes -- read: richw.org/dualcit
2/ Send the US passport -- they use it for identity.

Also consider applying for a Consular Record of Birth....despite the cost.

A search of the site will show that this procedure is not uncommon.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
1/ Yes -- read: richw.org/dualcit
2/ Send the US passport -- they use it for identity.

Also consider applying for a Consular Record of Birth....despite the cost.

A search of the site will show that this procedure is not uncommon.
Not just consider - definitely worth doing.

Passports and documents used in the original passport application can be lost...... a Consular Record of Birth exists forever.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

yorkie19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Why is it important to register the birth? I had already read about it but still wasn't sure of the importance of registering it in Great Britain.
Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Why is it important to register the birth? I had already read about it but still wasn't sure of the importance of registering it in Great Britain.
Thanks.
Without it if your son ever loses his UK passport he'll have to prove his British citizenship all over again in order to obtain another one. This could become increasingly more difficult with time, since the rules of the game may change (in 50+ years how many UK embassy officials will be familiar with the way British citizenship could be passed on at the beginning of the century?).

Unlike other countries the UK does not issue "certificates of citizenship", although this may change in the future.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British Passport for son born in US.

Yorkie,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, he can have both passports.
2. First off, are you completing a C2 application form?
3. It normally helps to send in the US passport with the application.

Visit www.britainusa.com/orlando and click on the passport and consular services tab on the left hand of the screen for more information on getting a passport for your son.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British Passport for son born in US.

Originally Posted by Marocco
Without it if your son ever loses his UK passport he'll have to prove his British citizenship all over again in order to obtain another one. This could become increasingly more difficult with time, since the rules of the game may change (in 50+ years how many UK embassy officials will be familiar with the way British citizenship could be passed on at the beginning of the century?).

Unlike other countries the UK does not issue "certificates of citizenship", although this may change in the future.
Not quite. As long as he keeps his passport up to date, he will be able to replace a passport if it is lost. It's part of a passport officers job to know US nationality laws, they get tested on them every four years. So, in fifty plus years time, they should still continue to know and understand every change in nationality law since time began....

Dean
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Not quite. As long as he keeps his passport up to date, he will be able to replace a passport if it is lost. It's part of a passport officers job to know US nationality laws, they get tested on them every four years. So, in fifty plus years time, they should still continue to know and understand every change in nationality law since time began....
I've come across cases where the standard of knowledge of British laws and policy (admittedly, in more complex situations) has left something to be desired.

In any case, it is not just a question of consular officers knowing the laws. It is also a question of having the necessary evidence to prove he is a British citizen. It may be difficult or impossible to get parent's birth certificates, for example.

For the relatively small, one-off fee I can't understand why people even think of not getting a consular birth certificate for their child if it is available.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 2nd 2008 at 1:57 pm.