emmigrating ?????mmmmmmmm

Old May 14th 2008, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

coltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nice
Default emmigrating ?????mmmmmmmm

Had a call from the plumbing ,gas and drainlaying board in wellington last night to do the interview over the phone to confirm i was a real plumber !! got a good reponse from the questions they asked me and was told that they would be sending me a letter confirming that i was o.k etc.... i asked if there was loads of work there for me,(just tounge in cheek ) .they told me that despite what immigration tell us there actually isnt a lack of skilled workers there anymore and that like in the u.k and usa and other parts of the world things have taken a very big downturn especially in auckland where work is near immpossible to find !!as i said on another post we have decided to give the big move a big miss.sorry if this puts a damp squib on things for anyone .
Old May 14th 2008, 8:23 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: emmigrating ?????mmmmmmmm

a lot of plumbers will get that sinking feeling i fear.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by coltheplumb
Had a call from the plumbing ,gas and drainlaying board in wellington last night to do the interview over the phone to confirm i was a real plumber !! got a good reponse from the questions they asked me and was told that they would be sending me a letter confirming that i was o.k etc.... i asked if there was loads of work there for me,(just tounge in cheek ) .they told me that despite what immigration tell us there actually isnt a lack of skilled workers there anymore and that like in the u.k and usa and other parts of the world things have taken a very big downturn especially in auckland where work is near immpossible to find !!as i said on another post we have decided to give the big move a big miss.sorry if this puts a damp squib on things for anyone .
I'm pleased to read that the PGDB recognised that you are a plumber Coltheplumb !

There is a shortage of quality , fully qualified plumbers here. The emphasis being on quality & fully qualified , with shed loads of varied work experience.

The PGDB favour homegrown plumbers and gasfitters. That much is no secret. Understandably they will look to protect their own . I would be interested to know, who from the PGDB ,made that comment to you please. Perhaps send a PM.

It will be interesting to see the statistics that come out from the Dept of Labour regarding the labour shortages following this downturn. It may well be that the Long Term and Immediate shortage lists are adjusted.

Thanks for the post. It's good for others to read first had experiences.
Old May 19th 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of

''Hello Nick

We have your documentation and will be in touch next week to interview you. In the mean time there are no restrictions on you to gain employment other than to uplift a limited certificate licence when you are ready to begin working.

I trust this assists you.''

I got this reply from the pgdb the other day.They still haven't got in contact and I'm wondering what sort of questions they ask since it is a long time since I have done any real plumbing work since I spend my time chasing gas escapes and fitting meters!.....any help gratefully received
Nick
Old May 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
`

Sorry Nick. I can't help you with that. This telephone interview thing is new. Perhaps send ColthePlumb a PM.

I'd still be pleased to know the name of the person that interviewed you, Coltheplumb, and made those comments.

Please let us know how the interview goes Nick . It'll be good for any other plumbers and gasfitters out there to know what is involved. Get the name of the PGDB person that does the interview also.

I'll bung you some karma for it

Ta
BEVS
Old May 20th 2008, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

coltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nice

Hi all sorry for not responding earlier (BEVS) didn't get the name of the guy i spoke to, the wife answered the phone and then shoved it in me hand when she realised it was New Zealand calling !! Doh ! they just asked about the stuff i had put on the forms i had downloaded and sent back.they asked about all aspects of plumbing and leadwork etc. it was very weird cos they were asking about things that went out in the dark ages in the the U K ..ie two pipe soil stack systems!! which can still be seen around on old buildings but were not really used even when i started my plumbing career 28 years ago ,and also the fact that most roofing contractors have now taken over the lead work for roofs and flashings etc , they also asked if i laid water mains but again had to tell them that most water mains now days are taken up to the house and meter box's fitted to the external walls of the building . and that they were allways and still are in most cases by the groundworkers so in all they haven't moved the questions up to date that would be normal practice in the UK now but asking about things that are 20/30 years in the past ?saying all that they may ask questions that relate to your age you put on the form cos i can def say that we dont even teach the old ways anymore so anyone under 35 wouldnt have a clue what to say !sorry this has gone on for ages but if you need any more info just post it .
cheers colin n terri x
Old May 20th 2008, 10:57 pm
`

Originally Posted by coltheplumb
it was very weird cos they were asking about things that went out in the dark ages in the the U K
Mate ! You gotta have some karma for that.

21st century , it is not.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

well i know everyone says that you go back 40 years when moving to NZ but i thought that was leaving your doors open and growing your own veg etc but not with basic modern well proven practices !!! lol
Old May 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

hi all again, well recieved the letter from the pgdb confirming my guilds status etc, now today the ita invitation came , but having said earlier we have decided to leave the big move for now . after adding up the massive cost of getting there and the prospects of work ,taking in the low wages etc . we may change our minds later in a year or so but as for now it is a no no thanks for everyones help and advice in the past will still pop in here now and then just to see how everyones doing .
cheers colin n terri X
Old May 29th 2008, 12:12 am
`

OK. You've done your research & it seems fair enough to me. There is no doubt you don't come here for the money or hope for 21st century plumbing . As a plumber you would have further costs just to gain the basic registration . $3500 + licence fees.

Please do pop in now and again for a good ole read and a post