Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Plants in Spain??

Plants in Spain??

Old May 2nd 2007, 6:42 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold
Default Plants in Spain??

Does anyone know what plants native to England will grow in Spain?
I am wondering if Wisteria will grow, any suggestions please?
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plants in Spain??

Hi, best let rugbymatt reply, he is the gardening expert. I have pansies and petunias in my boxes and although with all this rain I do not need to, the only thing "normally" is to make sure they have plenty of water.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Heloooooo, wisteria is actually a non native, but hey ho.

Many of the "natives" that you may find quite easy to grow on free draining soils will grow happily in Spain, some need a cold snap to germinate etc but will happily grow, given the right amount of water.

Let me know what you want to grow and I will try to tell you if they will.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:34 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Heloooooo, wisteria is actually a non native, but hey ho.

Many of the "natives" that you may find quite easy to grow on free draining soils will grow happily in Spain, some need a cold snap to germinate etc but will happily grow, given the right amount of water.

Let me know what you want to grow and I will try to tell you if they will.
What a good thread If I take a cutting from a Peris will it take?
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:14 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by silverchick
Does anyone know what plants native to England will grow in Spain?
I am wondering if Wisteria will grow, any suggestions please?

Bring lots of packets of Nasturtium with you, I love them they look really great when they are in flower and trailing down over a wall or across the path, or better still hanging from baskets.

They are also great for ground cover, as weeding can be very tiring here in the heat we have a 76ft drive with flower beds each side so in between the fruit trees I planted them and the whole ground level is yellow, orange and green looks really special. You can also put the flower in salads as well.

I can't wait until next week when my raised flower beds are built (if it stops raining that is) I and can already visualize them brimming with colour and the one by the kitchen door will have herbs. So excited I can't wait.

This is coming from someone who thought they would never enjoy gardening but how wrong can a person be.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
You've no idea what I thought that said at first glance have you!

Bottle brush plants, native of Australia, I'm putting them everywhere when we can find some soil
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Most Pieris will do well in Spain, but they will need almost full shade out there, and since one of the major problems with the shrub is frost damage they will do fine. Dont hold the water too much in their roots, they need to be free draining, even in Spain.

Cuttings are awkward, I have about a couple of dozen on the go in my greenhouse and I decided to move a couple and they died.
The trick to real success is to let them get on with i9t for a couple of years and don't interfere too much.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:49 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Bottle brush plants, native of Australia, I'm putting them everywhere when we can find some soil

I have seeds that I brought back from New Zealand
Puawhananga (Clematis),
Renga Renga Lily
and Weeping Kowhai, I haven't germinated them yet as my garden here is not big enough I do hope they will take when I have a bigger garden to them justice. I would be pleased as punch if I managed to get one of each to grow.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:55 pm
Straw Man.

I wish you wouldnt!
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you wouldnt!
Tell me why
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:07 pm
Straw Man.

Tell me why
The introduction of often unsuitable non natives to another country can be quite devastating.

Take Ragwort, Senecio jacobaeaand the devastating effect it has made on the British landscape, introduced partly because of its appearance, or Japanese Knotweed, Ground Elder, etc......

A single specimen, carefully managed is fine, but so often the spread of a non native can have unseen consequences on the biodiversity of an area.

Spain has seen such "invasions" before and like many other countries has suffered.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:09 pm
Senior Moment

The introduction of often unsuitable non natives to another country can be quite devastating.

Take Ragwort, Senecio jacobaeaand the devastating effect it has made on the British landscape, introduced partly because of its appearance, or Japanese Knotweed, Ground Elder, etc......

A single specimen, carefully managed is fine, but so often the spread of a non native can have unseen consequences on the biodiversity of an area.

Spain has seen such "invasions" before and like many other countries has suffered.
Fair comment
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:11 pm
Straw Man.

Fair comment
and so well made since I am sooooo drunk I think!

I forget sometimes that I come across as a dumbass, got a reputation to maintain.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:12 pm
Senior Moment

and so well made since I am sooooo drunk I think!

I forget sometimes that I come across as a dumbass, got a reputation to maintain.

What ..... as a dumbass?
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:16 pm
Straw Man.

What ..... as a dumbass?
exactly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.