Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to America

Thinking of moving to America

Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:36 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of
Default Thinking of moving to America

Hello - this is my first post. I have been thinking of moving to America ever since my sister became a US citizen thanks to her American husband. She is in the process of sponsoring my Mum in right now for her greencard who lives with them. They live in Massachusetts and they just love it over there. My sister says the lifestyle is much better than in the UK and the people are friendlier. In general, they both make out that living in America is pretty much the best life you can want to have. I am planning a trip over to see them this summer, but I was wanting to know the opinions of people who have made the move and how they really like it.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:43 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to America

Originally Posted by JohnStang
Hello - this is my first post. I have been thinking of moving to America ever since my sister became a US citizen thanks to her American husband. She is in the process of sponsoring my Mum in right now for her greencard who lives with them. They live in Massachusetts and they just love it over there. My sister says the lifestyle is much better than in the UK and the people are friendlier. In general, they both make out that living in America is pretty much the best life you can want to have. I am planning a trip over to see them this summer, but I was wanting to know the opinions of people who have made the move and how they really like it.
It's just lovely!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:49 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
It's just lovely!
Can I have some of the pills you're taking?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:51 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you do some research in exactly how (what visa) you will qualify for. And prepare to be savagely attacked.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

My mum said she spoke to an immigration solicitor in the USA who said that once my mum receives her greencard, she can sponsor me in because I am an unmarried child. Who is going to attack me???
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My mum said she spoke to an immigration solicitor in the USA who said that once my mum receives her greencard, she can sponsor me in because I am an unmarried child. Who is going to attack me???
Mmmmm...Florida's nice.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The streets aren't paved with gold, money doesn't grow on trees, and women don't faint at the sound of your accent (well, most don't). So with those mispercetions out of the way, I think my response would be welcome and be ready to go home.

I've lived in five different countries now and I can tell you I loved them all and hated them all. There are times when America (where I'm was born) drives me nuts and bores me to death, and then there times I can't wait to get back. London, where I work on and off and grew up in, is both a home and a place I can't stand--sometimes during the same week.

I think my point is a change of location will have a major impact on your happiness, but it isn't all that there is. What is it that you want to do in America? Why is the US a better place to do that than the UK? What are you going to miss back home? These are things only you can answer.

There will be times in the US when you'll cuss and swear and moan (just read some of the posts on this site) and there will be times you wonder why everyone doesn't move over here. The same is true for Americans who go to the UK--the expat messageboards for them are a virtual 'echo' of some of the complaints that you read about here, and some of the praises as well. A lot of it has to do with people's expectations in their head not matching the reality they end up facing.

So I think you have to get a really good feel for the place before deciding is this a place I want to live. Come over for a few months, not just a short trip. Rent a car and visit a few different regions (not just states, but regions like the Midwest, South, West Coast, etc). When you live as a tourist (hotels, restaurants) you don't get the same view as a person paying property taxes and trying to find some decent food in a grocery. You've got an advantage over most of those who post "I want to come to America" as your family can easy the visa process so I'd use you time to really check it out before your final decision.

Give it a try--only after some time here will you really know if it is something you want to do long term.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:20 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Are you by chance thinking of moving to the Orlando FL area?? Disney is so nice this time of year...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Who is going to attack me???
May be some on here it's certainly by no means all sun shine and lolly pops you know, at least your Mum like's it.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

The streets aren't paved with gold, money doesn't grow on trees, and women don't faint at the sound of your accent (well, most don't). So with those mispercetions out of the way, I think my response would be welcome and be ready to go home.

I've lived in five different countries now and I can tell you I loved them all and hated them all. There are times when America (where I'm was born) drives me nuts and bores me to death, and then there times I can't wait to get back. London, where I work on and off and grew up in, is both a home and a place I can't stand--sometimes during the same week.

I think my point is a change of location will have a major impact on your happiness, but it isn't all that there is. What is it that you want to do in America? Why is the US a better place to do that than the UK? What are you going to miss back home? These are things only you can answer.

There will be times in the US when you'll cuss and swear and moan (just read some of the posts on this site) and there will be times you wonder why everyone doesn't move over here. The same is true for Americans who go to the UK--the expat messageboards for them are a virtual 'echo' of some of the complaints that you read about here, and some of the praises as well. A lot of it has to do with people's expectations in their head not matching the reality they end up facing.

So I think you have to get a really good feel for the place before deciding is this a place I want to live. Come over for a few months, not just a short trip. Rent a car and visit a few different regions (not just states, but regions like the Midwest, South, West Coast, etc). When you live as a tourist (hotels, restaurants) you don't get the same view as a person paying property taxes and trying to find some decent food in a grocery. You've got an advantage over most of those who post "I want to come to America" as your family can easy the visa process so I'd use you time to really check it out before your final decision.

Give it a try--only after some time here will you really know if it is something you want to do long term.
Couldn't agree more - great advice!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:27 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome, enjoy your trip in the summer
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Can I have some of the pills you're taking?
I'm sorry - i just came over all queer for a moment.

OP - It's shite really.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Hello,

If you don't mind the question..........how old are you?
No offence.......it makes a difference.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Do you realize how long this will take ...
latest bulletin ..
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3111.html
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. How is your mother living with your sister and her husband in the US if she doesn't have her Green Card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.