End of the QM2 idea

Old Apr 29th 2006, 2:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default End of the QM2 idea

Well, I just called Cunard and traveling home via the QM2 will cost me $3,930 plus dog ($500). That's way, way more than I expected. The cheapest tix when you book early are supposedly about $1500 per person and I thought single traveler premium might be an extra $500 or so, but it's basically even more than what I had assumed 2 people would cost.

The guy on the phone really didn't seem too interested or helpful so I don't know whether I have other options but I'm now pretty much resigned to flying from DC via BA or Virgin - unless someone wants to share a QM2 cabin with a bald guy in early July.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future
Default Re: End of the QM2 idea

We're sailing on Sept 6th crossing and its cost us $3464 for 2 persons and 3 pussies, your quote does seem a lot, maybe cos its summer ???

Our quote to fly home with pets was $2000 for 2 one way tickets and $4000 for pets, QM2 definately better deal for us !!!!!

Jezzie
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezebel
We're sailing on Sept 6th crossing and its cost us $3464 for 2 persons and 3 pussies, your quote does seem a lot, maybe cos its summer ???

Our quote to fly home with pets was $2000 for 2 one way tickets and $4000 for pets, QM2 definately better deal for us !!!!!

Jezzie
$4000 for pets, jeez , why so expensive? our 2 flew on the same BA flight as us and they charged us about 300 quid, they were just weighed in as excess baggage.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
$4000 for pets, jeez , why so expensive? our 2 flew on the same BA flight as us and they charged us about 300 quid, they were just weighed in as excess baggage.
How long ago was this? I think the airlines changed their policies and charges since I flew Suzy in 2000 and 2001. Back then she was just excess baggage (100 quid) because I was on the same plane. Now, it seems beasts are classed as cargo (as they used to be when flying unaccompanied) and so a medium sized dog now costs about $1500. I'm about to call BA and Virgin early next week so I'll let you know what they say.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I just called Cunard and traveling home via the QM2 will cost me $3,930 plus dog ($500). That's way, way more than I expected. The cheapest tix when you book early are supposedly about $1500 per person and I thought single traveler premium might be an extra $500 or so, but it's basically even more than what I had assumed 2 people would cost.

The guy on the phone really didn't seem too interested or helpful so I don't know whether I have other options but I'm now pretty much resigned to flying from DC via BA or Virgin - unless someone wants to share a QM2 cabin with a bald guy in early July.

Didn't Calle get some amazing deal - have you 'spoken' top her? What has happened to her anyway - I haven't seen any posts from her for quite a while.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was this? I think the airlines changed their policies and charges since I flew Suzy in 2000 and 2001. Back then she was just excess baggage (100 quid) because I was on the same plane. Now, it seems beasts are classed as cargo (as they used to be when flying unaccompanied) and so a medium sized dog now costs about $1500. I'm about to call BA and Virgin early next week so I'll let you know what they say.
June 2004..
Old Apr 30th 2006, 2:28 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Elvira

Didn't Calle get some amazing deal - have you 'spoken' top her? What has happened to her anyway - I haven't seen any posts from her for quite a while.
I've talked with her via email - she had several humans and animals, and got a good deal by phoning Cunard directly.

I think my problem is the single supplement thing (several people in a quad cabin works out a lot cheaper). I'm tempted to call again and see if someone else is a bit more resourceful than "Irvine". You know, sometimes as soon as the person on the other end of the phone opens his/her mouth, you know immediately that he/she isn't really into the job and that's how I felt about "Irvine".
Old Apr 30th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
We flew BA late last November. It was $550.00 USD each for us and $1700.00 USD for our 42 pound dog. She flew as cargo on the same flight as us.

Sorry the QM2 didn't work out Dunroving.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 3:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

......... I'm tempted to call again and see if someone else is a bit more resourceful than "Irvine". You know, sometimes as soon as the person on the other end of the phone opens his/her mouth, you know immediately that he/she isn't really into the job and that's how I felt about "Irvine".
I would too - absolutely! What you say is so very true...
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

I roughed up the quote I had for the airfare on our cats because it originally included our poochie, who died this week of cancer so alas will not be joining us on the QM2.

We are in Texas and wanted Airpets to deal with our babies air journey since there was 4 of them, we thought it would be rather alot to handle logistically for us, getting there/check-in/defra other side and then transport to home in UK, plus doggie's wood container sized at 31"h x24"w x45"l ! So Airpets quote is for 3 cats (weight 7/11/13 lbs) and a dog (weight 100 lbs, she was a rottweiler), to collect from West Texan home $575, tick/tapeworm treatments $226, flights $4374. Our total cost would have been $5370 inc. 3 nights in kennels.

So I rang Continental and gave them the dimensions and weights, lets just say the flights were way more than what Airpets quoted me.

When we originally flew them out with BA, again via Airpets at Heathrow, the week before they left BA increased all their cargos costs (Sept 04) and our first quote had been 1900 pounds but went up to 2400 pounds. They flew into Tampa.

I investigated QM2 after speaking to Calle and our bill from them was $4300, but has now gone down by $1000 because our dog isn't with us (she needed 2 cages).

I hope this info helps some of you out there who are curious and Dunroving I would definately suggest speaking to Cunard again, although they can be buggers for paperwork and one day on the blood test certificate could be a problem, ring them and get them to speak straight to the kennels ( I have the email/phone number of the lady who is in charge of the kennels with Cunard, I could email it to you if you require so you can hear it from the ''horse's-mouth''). As far as Cunard are concerned getting on the ship is the same as landing in the UK and Defra has told me that the animals get checked for Defra requirements before embarking on the QM2, so the tick/tapeworm treatments must be done 24-48 hours before boarding the ship, NOT arriving in the UK.

Waffled on enough !
Old May 1st 2006, 7:43 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Hi!
I'm here occasionally reading a few posts. I am spending more time however just living this life I have been striving to have for so long. It seems pointless to go in to it too often, as its always a personal thing for each person wants from life. for me, this is life. I love the countryside here so much. The walks thru footpaths, forests, and rolling hills. The people! The shops, transportation...I could go on and on... course I do live in a lovely small village. The only downside, I still havent found a job. Still doesnt change the fact that I love it here though.
Anyway...back to the thread...(sorry Dunroving)

Dunroving, I would definitely try to speak to someone else. And keep looking for a prospective cabin sharer. After going through several people our final price was somewhere around 4thousand something (cant remember exactly). That was four humans, two dogs and one cat. And loads pf luggage.