Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The worst airline you've ever flown with.

View Poll Results: What's the worst Airline you've ever flown with?
US Airways
7.27%
British Airways
5.45%
Delta
7.27%
Virgin
7.27%
American Airlines
10.91%
Continental
23.64%
Lufthansa
1.82%
KLM
0%
BMI
1.82%
Other (please Specify)
34.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

The worst airline you've ever flown with.

Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:33 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default The worst airline you've ever flown with.

Whats the worst airline you've ever travelled on?
After coming back from England last Thursday I can safely say American Airlines is the absolute worst airline I've ever had the misfortune to travel on.
They lost my bags when I first flew over, when I got them back a day later my suitcase was covered in oil stains and ripped at the bottom, also all my belongings had been rifled through. Certain things had even been taken out of my suitcase and put into a different bag and the zip had been broken off. Why they felt the need to do this I'm not sure.
Then on the journey back they lost my bags again. Kept telling me they'd only lost them in the airport and there was nothing to worry about and that we just had to wait for them to be found. After we'd been sat there waiting for over an hour we decided to get up and go look for them ourselves. We found them before the airline people did (I'm not convinced anyone was actually looking), they were in a different part of the airport, left on some random baggage carusel, that was for a flight from Nassau.
This was the second time I've flown them, the first was pretty bad as they cancelled our connecting flight leaving us sat in Chicago airport for 9 hours.
The food was the worst I've ever tasted too. US Airways food may just beat them by a hair for also having disgusting, inedible food, but all in all American Airlines wins my award for total crapness.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The worst airline you've ever flown with.

Aer Lingus or easyjet
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Flew on Cubana air from Havanna to Cancun once on what appeared to be a converted russian WW2 bomber. The engines sounded authentic WW2 and when the pilot spoke on the intercom I thought we were ready to start our run on target. We took off and proceeded to fly though a forming tropical storm which shook the plane so violently that the door to where the pilot was sitting sprang open, and you could see pilot and copilot shaking about whilst hanging onto to flight controls, "Airplane" style! We got struck by lightning once and the cabin assistant fell over whilst carrying a tray of drinks

We made it in one piece, was glad to get off, I must say. But it was kind of fun, in a perverse way!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:41 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Now you mention it, most American Airlines are sub standard to European ones. I fly a lot for work and Virgin is my favorite and actually Air China are good as well, the flight attendant was so happy to talk to me about the top deck of a 747 and even snuck me up there for a look.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:52 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

British Island Airways when they were around, truly crap, they used ex-Iberian BAC111s and all the signs where still in Spanish, back in the days when you could still smoke on flights
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The best airlines around are the Asian ones, in particular Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong's airline) and Malaysian Airlines. The cabin crew for Thai are very good but their planes are mostly old. Of course the Asian airline food is almost always excellent.

On virtually every flight I've taken with a US airline the cabin seems to have a crew comprising of miserable old trouts who all seem to hate their jobs and have little or no concept of personal grooming. Singapore Airlines 'retires' most of its cabin crew by the age of 37 except for a very few top-rate attendants in First or Raffles Class....and the female attendants have to weigh under 47kg (about 7 or 71/2 stones) so they're all petite and which Western businessmen love to see....
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:01 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

On virtually every flight I've taken with a US airline the cabin seems to have a crew comprising of miserable old trouts who all seem to hate their jobs and have little or no concept of personal grooming.
I've noticed that as well, I wonder why American cabin crew tend to be older?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ive actually never had a really bad flight. I've had some snotty check in staff and the occaisionalt thing that could be better but never one that I would call truly terrible.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said everytime a thread like this shows up, fly long enough and you'll find something wrong with them all.

I personally prefer to fly United or American over the British airlines due to their seating policy of 2 seats on the outside and 5 in the middle. BA and Virgin fly 3-4-3 which means one extra person to climb over when I book the window seats.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

2 years ago I needed a quick and cheap flight from LHR to JFK and did the expedia/orbitz thing.

Cheapest flight available was.....Kuwait Air.

I'll be swimming instead of using them next time. Absolutel crap.

Flight attendant was a 350Ib guy that walked around chewing peanuts the whole flight and accidentally spat them at you as he spoke (without apology).

"Vatter, Vatter"

Best, without a doubt, Virgin Atlantic.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've noticed that as well, I wonder why American cabin crew tend to be older?
I'm not 100% certain, but that could have something to do with the decent pension plans carriers like United had. Of course now thats been pulled out from under them by the airlines continued troubles.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by rushman

Best, without a doubt, Virgin Atlantic.
I'd agree with that, great airline
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:36 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Other - Eastern Airways on domestic flights around the UK. Bloody awful!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:41 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Northwest by a country mile. Lost the luggage, rude cabin crew.

BA is the only way to go from DFW to the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveC
Northwest by a country mile. Lost the luggage, rude cabin crew.

BA is the only way to go from DFW to the UK.
BA is the only way to go for sure.....never mind the staff anyone thought about it from the safety aspect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.