Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

scottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud of
Default Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

Hi, I have entered the US on an immigrant visa by marriage. Now I am in the US I need to apply for a social security number. I need an SSN to open a bank account and to complete the hiring process at my new intended place of work (a university) in which I am scheduled to begin Aug 1st..

The online instructions (here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm) says that I need: [I]"an immigration document such as I-551 (green card) (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa) with your unexpired foreign passport, I-766 (work permit) or I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)". [/I]However, my I-551 is being processed and will take approx 3 weeks. The folks who processed my VISA at the airport told me I could apply for my SSN after 7 to 10 days.

So can I assume the visa in my passport will allow me to apply for an SSN? and can anyone well me in a concrete bulleted list of what evidence I need to complete my application for SSN (being precise with the use of And and Or).

I ask this because I phoned up the Social Security toll fee number and spoke to a rather evasive, curt and rude lady who would not inform me of the requirements and only seemed to want to ask me what documents I have, and how I could prove I had eligibility to work (eh well that's what I phoned you for?) even though I explained the situation thoroughly.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Social Security number in the USA.

You can get an SSN using any form of picture ID. Without proof of work authorization, it is likely to have "Not valid for employment" or something similar on it. However, you can get that changed when you get your GC.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

scottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud ofscottie_uk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You can get an SSN using any form of picture ID. Without proof of work authorization, it is likely to have "Not valid for employment" or something similar on it. However, you can get that changed when you get your GC.
As I said I need to work on August the 1st so I need an SSN possibly before the green card comes in.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottie_uk
As I said I need to work on August the 1st so I need an SSN possibly before the green card comes in.
Did you not check the box on the DS-230 which says you'd like a SSN automatically assigned?

If you did, you can expect your SS card to show up in the mail within a month or so of your arrival in the USA.

Your employer CAN hire you without your SS card. When the card comes in, they can make note of the number. In the meantime, you can go in person to a SS office and they can give you a letter stating you've applied for one (via the DS-230, but the letter won't say that), which you can show your employer, and he must accept that letter.

If checked that box, AND you go now and apply for a SSN, you might get two separate numbers assigned, and then you have to get them consolidated into one number. Kind of a pain.

If you did not check that box, and you want to apply for a SSN now, that temp I-551 endorsement should be enough to do so.

You CAN open a bank account without a SSN as well.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The temp I-551 endorsement in his passport will be proof of his work authorization. He should be issued a SS card without restrictions.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a SSN to open a bank account.

You also don't need a SSN to start work, you've got 90 days or so to provide that. It will mean you having the max amount of tax withheld until you do though.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you not check the box on the DS-230 which says you'd like a SSN automatically assigned?

Rene
Brilliant, yes I did I just checked my copy of the form. Do you know how long it will take to process and be sent to me (from date of entry)?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

stuexeter is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant, yes I did I just checked my copy of the form. Do you know how long it will take to process and be sent to me (from date of entry)?
They say it takes 4-6 weeks, but mine was much quicker. That was back in May, think it took 2 weeks.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:01 pm

Second sentence in Post #4.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...65&postcount=4

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

When you say marriage visa do you mean K1? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ticking that box doesn't apply to marriage visa's. I ticked the box but still had to apply. I went down to my local social security office with my paperwork, I had the card come through the post within 4 days. Very efficient!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:51 am

Hi, I have entered the US on an immigrant visa by marriage.
Originally Posted by markonline1
When you say marriage visa do you mean K1?
No. The OP entered the USA on an Immigrant Visa, not a K-1. Only people getting an Immigrant Visa can check that box and get a SSN automatically. A K-1 (non-immigrant visa) cannot.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. I was able to get a social security number by visiting the local office. They provided me with temporary proof until my social security card comes though.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
When you say marriage visa do you mean K1? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ticking that box doesn't apply to marriage visa's. I ticked the box but still had to apply. I went down to my local social security office with my paperwork, I had the card come through the post within 4 days. Very efficient!

No, that is not a marriage visa. That is a fiancee visa. He entered with an approved Immediate Relative Visa (I-130) which makes him a permanent resident asa he enters the US.