Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where do you want to be buried?

Where do you want to be buried?

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:10 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you want to be buried?

Originally Posted by lisamct
I'm very much of the 'once your dead your dead' school of thought so really have no concerns over what happens to me afterwards. I always think that what happens to people after their dead is more of a comfort to remaining family and friends than anything else, after all, your dead, you have no idea whats going on anymore (I admit this is coming from my occasionally radical atheist view point)

Don't want to take up a space in the ground anywhere, don't mind being cremated but have no need to have ashes scattered anywhere specific.

Actually considering donating my body to science (if they want it!)
Those thoughts resemble mine. My father died at 82 and donated his body to science, it fulfilled his wants and didn't cost a dime. I am contacting the same organization. The two biggest wastes of money in life are weddings and funerals/burials.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Those thoughts resemble mine. My father died at 82 and donated his body to science, it fulfilled his wants and didn't cost a dime. I am contacting the same organization. The two biggest wastes of money in life are weddings and funerals/burials.
My father-in-law did that ... only problem was when the time came they had too many bodies and wouldn't take him.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not bothered about myself at all either, as we don't have any central place where family are all together - although if I were to die before my parents I think they may have other ideas.

I really can't see much point in being here in NZ, buried or cremated alone without any other family here. Graves and memorial things are for those left behind and there's nobody I can think of thats likely to visit mine.

If himself were a gone burger I would however make every effort to get his ashes over to the UK and scatter them on home soil in the UK as it would matter more to his family, albeit that they are gone already I think that's what they would want and expect.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Not troubled at all. All that matters (to me), is that I die with £1 in my account.
I'm a firm believer that we are essentially an electro-chemical being, so our physical bodies have no relevence beyond that, vis-a-vis our ashes.
For me, I don't care where I die, or am burried, as long as I've enjoyed where i've been, and what I've done!
Amen. . . .
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
I'm very much of the 'once your dead your dead' school of thought so really have no concerns over what happens to me afterwards. I always think that what happens to people after their dead is more of a comfort to remaining family and friends than anything else, after all, your dead, you have no idea whats going on anymore (I admit this is coming from my occasionally radical atheist view point)

Don't want to take up a space in the ground anywhere, don't mind being cremated but have no need to have ashes scattered anywhere specific.

Actually considering donating my body to science (if they want it!)
I'm with you on this one. I'd be happy for anyone to have any bits they think might help someone else then bin the rest
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I intend to be cremated & have my ashes placed in an empty magnum of Veuve Cliquot. (The previous contents having been enjoyed by my close friends). Not decided if the bottle should be buried or set adrift on the ocean's currents. Doesn't really matter as I'll be gone & won't know a thing.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by passthevalium
I know it sounds like a weird question, but I met a lady today who is 85 and has lived in NZ since she was 12. I'm doing some research into expats' life stories and this lovely lady wanted to tell me her story. She has loved her life here and has kids, grandkids and great grandkids, but she is going back to the UK to , as she said, "end my days and be buried in the UK as I can't stand the thought of being buried anywhere than my homeland". I was so taken aback that I couldn't think of anything to say. But it got me thinking if there are other expats who would want to do the same? Mortality is not often something people want to think about so maybe people on here haven't thought about the question, but for those who have, where do you want to be buried? Or does it matter to you?
Burned in a cardboard box and chucked of the local bridge into the river. Want a no frills, cheap as funeral too. Everyone dressed as inappropriately as possible. I never ever want a 'place' where folk may feel the need to come. Scatter me to the 4 winds and don't waste your time at my grave side.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:06 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Die in New Zealand ? I don't even want to live here !

However if I do die in NZ I've written that my ashes are to be scattered in Britain, same place as my grandparents ashes were scattered. To bad my mum's ashes aren't scattered there too but my Dad had other ideas about where to scatter her ashes and wasn't for listening.

He basically scattered them by a stream where he proposed to her. Sounds romantic ? Not to me. Her ashes were just dumped on unconsecrated ground. Her ashes should have been scattered where her parent's ashes were.

Anyway
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Cremated and then want my ashes to be scattered along the 2nd green at ilford golf club

The place where I got my first hole in one
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will be buried wherever my children are (within reason) probably more relevant if I die when they are young. If we were in the UK and they were settled there then I guess I would be buried there but would definitely want something in NZ, scattered sonewhere. I would want something at "home". If I die at an old age and they are not in the UK (and we were) I would probably want to be returned to NZ. Have thought about it probably too much!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 3:27 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care really as I will cease to exist anymore, maybe put my ashes in a wine bottle

Originally Posted by Genesis
Burned in a cardboard box and chucked of the local bridge into the river. Want a no frills, cheap as funeral too. Everyone dressed as inappropriately as possible. I never ever want a 'place' where folk may feel the need to come. Scatter me to the 4 winds and don't waste your time at my grave side.
Well said genesis

Just had a thought, I could have my body parts scattered in parts of NZ and the uk, that would be different

I don't care!! I will be dead

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 3rd 2013 at 4:36 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
+1
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's also about what will make the people that love us feel comfortable to though , isn't it ? It isn't just about us.

We make our wishes plain before the event & they carry them out, without the burden of having to make hard decisions and so they are then free to feel they have made the best farewell.

In my heart , we will be scattered on home soil. The people that love us are more than happy to help that happen and that is the more important thing for all of us.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

This is something I keep thinking about, can't make a decision and then decide to leave it. I do procrastinate exceedingly well!
It all depends on when I die: if before my parents then split me between NZ and the UK; if after then I'll stay here with Mr S I suppose.

I'm not too bothered really, once I'm dead then that's it. It matters more to those left behind, those who have memories.

I wouldn't like to go to medical science though I realise that is an irrational and emotional decision on my part. I remember being fascinated by the half dissected human heads [in formalin] we were shown in anatomy - still not sure why we were shown human heads unless it was to show the similarities between all mammals
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just offer some sage advice to those who want there ashes to be scattered to the four winds. Well, it's more for the people involved in the scattering really.

A very good friend of mine lost her Dad & his wish was to have his ashes scattered on Warrington's Rugby League ground. Her Dad was a former mayor of Warrington, so they got the go ahead. Unfortunately as the scattering began there was a wee gust of wind that caused some of the ashes to be blown back into my friend's face. Plus she was wearing flip-flops & ended up with quite a bit of her Dad between her toes.

She had to try & dislodge him without her Mum seeing it. Her mother is very critical of her daughter.

NB: Keep your mouth shut & don't wear open-toed footwear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.