WEETABIX

Old Nov 14th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default WEETABIX

We have been told today by the people at "The English Cornershop" at Onehunga
that the nice people who make the kiwi Weetbix breakfast cereal have
have threatened legal action to anyone importing the Uk brand WEETABIX into New Zealand
They clain they have the right to do this because the product name is similar
I dont mind Weetbix minis but because of this i will not from now on be buying
any cereals produced by the Sanitarium company.

And people wonder why there is no choice in NZ supermakets

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 14th 2009 at 1:30 am.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:21 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WEETABIX

Originally Posted by colandros
We have been told today by the people at "The English Cornershop" at Onehunga
that the nice people who make the kiwi Weetbix breakfast cereal have
have threatened legal action to anyone importing the Uk brand WEETABIX into New Zealand
They clain they have the right to do this because the product name is similar
I dont mind Weetbix minis but because of this i will not from now on be buying
any cereals produced by the Sanitarium company.

And people wonder why there is no choice in NZ supermakets
This is a joke post, yes?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:24 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weetabix

Seems the Aus/NZ company sold the recipe and brandname to the UK back in the 30s, so it seems reasonable that they would not be keen on it reentering their home market, just as they would not expect to enter the UK and other markets that Weetabix is in.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:25 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
This is a joke post, yes?
Ah, perhaps you're right!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:26 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Ah, perhaps you're right!
To be upset about Weetabix is...well....quite sad
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:30 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=AmyDavid;8098055]To be upset about Weetabix is...well....quite sad[/QUOTE
I really could not believe this thread omg I agree how sad
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:33 am

[QUOTE=love30stm;8098059]
Originally Posted by AmyDavid
To be upset about Weetabix is...well....quite sad[/QUOTE
I really could not believe this thread omg I agree how sad
Mind you, had it been about the banning of Cornflakes...well.. lol
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Its not about the cereal its about the I'm bigger than you so you'll do as i say principal behind it.
What happened to the free market ecconomy ??
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they can stick big stickers on them that call them scrumbly weet biscuits.
It's like the marmite that has to be called our mate..or used to at least

You know that they are having a do at the English shop next weekend...with an on licence and a bouncy castle and a free sausage sizzle...yayyyyy
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:25 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I saw something in the Wellington New World which looked a lot like British Marmite...called something different. I've been meaning to drag a Brit friend in there to see if it's the same thing or not.

I haven't been to the UK in so long that I can't quite remember if what I am thinking of as Marmite is actually this marmite substance on the shelf.

Maybe I should take a picture.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I saw something in the Wellington New World which looked a lot like British Marmite...called something different. I've been meaning to drag a Brit friend in there to see if it's the same thing or not.

I haven't been to the UK in so long that I can't quite remember if what I am thinking of as Marmite is actually this marmite substance on the shelf.

Maybe I should take a picture.
It is the exact same unmistakable dark brown glass jar with the yellow lid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Everything looks the same, logo, font type etc, except the name is 'Ourmate'.

If that's right the Aussies sold Weet-bix to the UK, then the recipe must have lost something in translation, either that or they had to adjust it to make it more palatable. They're nothing alike, completely different texture. Granted they do both smell the same - bleurgh!!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:13 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh! Thank you. I was wondering if I was going bonkers or what.

Fwiw, that New World now has a lot of british products (more in the snack/junk food range).

Oh and the little corner store on Cuba Mall (Nik Naks) also sells British junkfood. Sweets mainly.